This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Casein In Butter?

kdonov2

kdonov2 Contributor

I am casein intolerant and I was told by a doctor that because their is 0 protein in butter, that it is ok to eat. I can't help feel that he is wrong, but why is he wrong? Can anybody help me out?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

There are trace amounts of casein in butter. (Remember 0g on a nutrition label doesn't mean NONE. It means less than 0.5g per serving.) That said, some people who are casein intolerant do fine with moderate amounts of butter (I seem to, and I know I'm not the only one). It depends on how sensitive you are. (I'm assuming a 'standard' casein intolerance here, not a casein-induced enteropathy, which functions like celiac disease in causing intestinal damage.)

kdonov2 Contributor

hmm. well im not quite sure what to make of it. I have not fully understood my lab results. they said that I have an autoimmune reaction to cows milk. does this mean that milk will damage my intestines like gluten does?

mysecretcurse Contributor

Well, if you are having an autoimmune reaction then yes, there is damage happening to your body somewhere. The autoimmune system attacking your own body IS the reaction. So yes. I wouldn't eat butter either. I tried and still had a reaction to it. To me, dairy is dairy.

• 2 weeks later...
jackay Enthusiast

I, too, tested positive to casein. My doctor told me it would be fine for me to eat dairy and sour cream. I haven't been totally gluten free for long enough to take the chance. I am hoping after some healing that I can tolerate both butter and sour cream because I sure could use the calories.

woodnewt Rookie

Butter has milk solids, so YES there is caesin in it. Not much, but it's there. If you want butter without the caesin, look into "clarified butter" (also known as) Ghee.

jackay Enthusiast

I read that you can clarify butter by heating it up and removing the cloudy stuff that separates. Has anyone tried this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

amberlynn Contributor
I am casein intolerant and I was told by a doctor that because their is 0 protein in butter, that it is ok to eat. I can't help feel that he is wrong, but why is he wrong? Can anybody help me out?

OK - my kid is severely allergic to dairy, and there is the protein in the butter. He is NOT lactose intolerant, he is anaphylactic to any and all dairy. So, we're not new to this, lol ;)

Do not try to clarify the butter either. There is still a chance of the protein being there and making you sick.

Smart Balance Light is casein free, and Fleishman's unsalted sticks I believe are as well (they have a lot of soy, which my son cannot tolerate). We love the Smart Balance, tastes just like butter.... at least what I remember butter tasting like, lol ;).

• 3 weeks later...
Carolynmay2010 Newbie

hmm. well im not quite sure what to make of it. I have not fully understood my lab results. they said that I have an autoimmune reaction to cows milk. does this mean that milk will damage my intestines like gluten does?

Please could you let me know how you can be tested for an autoimmune reaction to c

• 3 months later...
deezer Apprentice

Please could you let me know how you can be tested for an autoimmune reaction to c

• 7 years later...
Oceana Rookie
On 1/9/2010 at 10:40 PM, Carolynmay2010 said:

I can't see your whole comment, but am assuming you're trying to find out how to be tested for any autoimmune reactions to foods.  I recently took my son to a functional medicine doctor because he isn't gaining much weight, even though he's been gluten free for over a year. (He is diagnosed with celiac).  She tested him with a series of stool samples and blood tests, which are not offered by a regular physician, but which show a very detailed IgG Food Panel with ratings between 1-3 on how intolerant someone is, or better described, how reactive the immune system is to that food.
We went back for the results and she's referred us to a fantastic  functional medicine nutritionist who is assisting us with a food plan so that the leaky gut can heal.  There are supplements coming as well, as soon as we go for a nutritional deficiency blood panel, and also we'll be addressing histamine reactions with a holistic doctor who uses sublingual treatment that strengthens the baseline for histamine response, alleviating his allergic reactions.

Meanwhile, they have him on certain supplements that begin to heal the gut naturally, supporting his diet, and cleaning out the reactive stuff in his body.

Within a week, he's already stopped having the terrible post nasal drip he suffered from for years, and his mood has lightened substantially.  We're excited to help him thrive and heal.

Of course, with celiac he will always have to avoid gluten obviously.  However, many of the other foods that showed up on the panel will eventually be reintroduced and he'll be able to tolerate them then.

I hope this helps to hear how we're dealing with it and what measures we're taking.  Today I'm making pancakes without eggs, butter, or milk, or vanilla.  Fun fun fun.  It's not easy, but as with a gluten free diet, one gets used to it and we find a certain flow to what we eat regularly and it becomes less intense over time.  Never as easy as navigating life without such a disease, but thankfully the world is beginning to catch up and offers so much more in terms of available gluten free options and education, etc.

I love this site and am so on my knees grateful for the one place I can count on to look things up as I support my child to better health.

• 1 year later...
MrsTopkat Newbie
On 12/19/2009 at 9:27 PM, jackay said:

I, too, tested positive to casein. My doctor told me it would be fine for me to eat dairy and sour cream. I haven't been totally gluten free for long enough to take the chance. I am hoping after some healing that I can tolerate both butter and sour cream because I sure could use the calories.

I have an allergy to casein.  At first it started as stomach issues, then after a few years I started getting a sore throat. Then suddenly I had an anaphylactic response.  While my allergist said sometimes it may not bother me.  It’s like playing Russian roulette. My youngest also has the allergy. While so far he’s only gotten an upset stomach. He carries an Epi-pen too & allergy pills in my wallet.  Problem is casein is in everything, many breads, crackers and most processed foods, so best to carry an Epi when eating out.  I was recently at a chain restaurant and said no butter or margarine  on my steak. The manager said it was ok because it said non dairy. I took a bite and got a reaction. But non dairy doesn’t always mean it’s casein free. The waitress actually argued with me, until i asked for the label & I pointed out casein on it.    

Archived