Diva1

Question For The Ladies Out There....

Rate this topic

Hi

Ok question for the ladies...are symptoms of glutening worse when we have our periods..or can we just feel not right during our periods...hope this in not a stupid question....

thanks

diva

I know that my cramps are a lot worse during my period now then they ever were before going gluten free 6 years ago! Your body changes so I'm sure it plays some part

No question is a stupid question :)

And I would say, yes. Our bodies' defenses are weakened during menstration, we already feel more tired than usual, have cramps, etc., so ingesting gluten would only add to our PMS symptoms. If you're already feeling lousy, or your body is not at its best, and you get glutened, it makes sense that it would hit even harder than usual.

I'm sure you're not the only one who has wondered!

Jillian

I have noticed the same thing. My symptoms have worsened when I do ingest gluten so I have been more diligent. But have noticed them to be dramatically worse when I have my period if I am not super careful about being gluten free. Just one more benefit. :)

Hi

Ok question for the ladies...are symptoms of glutening worse when we have our periods..or can we just feel not right during our periods...hope this in not a stupid question....

thanks

diva

Mine is all out of whack if I get glutened...VERY VERY painful, clots, and extreme PMS symptoms (swelling, bloating, irritability, emotional...) I'll be late or early...and lasts 7 to 10 days rather than 4 or 5.

Hi

thanks

diva

Mine is all out of whack if I get glutened...VERY VERY painful, clots, and extreme PMS symptoms (swelling, bloating, irritability, emotional...) I'll be late or early...and lasts 7 to 10 days rather than 4 or 5.

I am not sure why it posted twice and don't see an option to delete.

No question is a stupid question :)

And I would say, yes. Our bodies' defenses are weakened during menstration, we already feel more tired than usual, have cramps, etc., so ingesting gluten would only add to our PMS symptoms. If you're already feeling lousy, or your body is not at its best, and you get glutened, it makes sense that it would hit even harder than usual.

I'm sure you're not the only one who has wondered!

Jillian

Thanks for the reply...this forum helps me a lot...

Diva

The changing levels of hormones affect the motility of the intestines (to a small degree) and any cramping that the uterus does can have a physical effect on the operation of the intestines (it's a large muscle pulling on tissue that's also attached (indirectly) to the intestines. On it's own, menstruation can cause abdominal/intestinal pain and other intestinal symptoms (changes in stool, for instance).

Hi

thanks

diva

Before knowing I had Celiac, the few days before til the few days after were way more painful...and I went to the bathroom way more. Now, after finding out what I have, and starting Gluten free...I just started a month ago, but have had one period and it was WAY better!! Dunno about being glutened yet? Hope I dont find out :< My thoughts are that yes...dunno why but i think it does make it worse around your period.

My cramps are one thing that have not improved since going gluten-free.

However, at least I don't have menstrual cramps AND Big D, AND bowel cramping, AND nausea... it's a lot easier to deal with just PMS cramps when I'm not dealing with everything else on top of it.

-Elizabeth