This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I'm Panicking! What Do I Do?!

kdonov2

kdonov2 Contributor

I just confused my boyfriend's can of beans with one of my own. I ate a few bites and then I saw that it contained wheat flour. I am scared, what do I do? I took an omega 3, zinc, and L-glutamate, but is there anything else I should do? When will it be out of my system completely? Oh god I hate myself for being so careless. Can anyone please help me?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

positivenrgfairy Apprentice

First of all, calm down. you will live to see another day.

In my experience, once it's in your system, your body will do whatever it can to get rid of it. once that happens, you'll start to feel better. Depending on how much you ate, it may be a couple of days before you feel normal again.

I'm really sorry you've had this experience. we've all been there.

drink plenty of water to help flush your body, and if you're having trouble going to the bathroom, try drinking some coffee.

jststric Contributor

Lessons are usually learned the hard way, unfortunately. Relax. There's not alot you can do besides what you've already done. If there was a sure-fire cure, we'd all be in MUCH BETTER shape than we are. Best wishes!

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Yep, just hold on for the ride. You body will handle it the best way it knows. Won't be fun but it will pass.

Tell dear boyfriend I said he needs to fall in love with some gluten free beans please.

Northern Celiac Newbie
I just confused my boyfriend's can of beans with one of my own. I ate a few bites and then I saw that it contained wheat flour. I am scared, what do I do? I took an omega 3, zinc, and L-glutamate, but is there anything else I should do? When will it be out of my system completely? Oh god I hate myself for being so careless. Can anyone please help me?

yup, don't panic. But remember you need to READ the label on everything you eat. You can't take anything for it. The4 wheat will pass on it's own. The ride will not be fun but you will be ok.

Lynayah Enthusiast

Isn't it a horrible, sinking feeling when you realize you've eaten something you should not? Oh my gosh, I feel your pain.

It happened to me on vacation in October. A chef pointed to a rack of allergy-friendly foods and told me they were all gluten free. I purchased the chocolate chip cookies only to learn, after eating one or two that I had been glutened. I loved the cookies, so I looked at the calorie count . . . only to glance at the ingredients list, too, and discover that WHEAT FLOUR was the first ingredient!

I didn't read the label first. My fault.

Anyway, I remember my heart sinking, pounding . . . and I remember wanting to beat myself up, big time. I was sooooo mad!

Looking back, it was a blessing. It taught me to be more careful, no matter what.

It sure was heck when it happened, though, especially since I was flying home that day. I am not sure if I spent more time in my seat . . . or in the bathroom in-flight. Augh!

I survived. It took about a week to get back to feeling better.

Anyway, you're not alone. Sending a huge hug to you.

Hang in there, and let us know how you are doing, how long it takes for your symptoms to subside, etc.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast
Isn't it a horrible, sinking feeling when you realize you've eaten something you should not?

I was eating at a friends house for dinner. It was brats. They were so good I thought I'd have another. I remember thinking I'd have to ask her what brand she was serving because it was do good. As I went to serve myself another one I noticed the BUN I had in my hand. Oh, yea, a poison bun, no wonder they tasted so good!!!! I was so sick. I'd been gluten free for two years at that point so why in the world I was eating that bun I'll never know. Funny thing is the next year this same friend found out she had celiac disease.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lynayah Enthusiast
I was eating at a friends house for dinner. It was brats. They were so good I thought I'd have another. I remember thinking I'd have to ask her what brand she was serving because it was do good. As I went to serve myself another one I noticed the BUN I had in my hand. Oh, yea, a poison bun, no wonder they tasted so good!!!! I was so sick. I'd been gluten free for two years at that point so why in the world I was eating that bun I'll never know. Funny thing is the next year this same friend found out she had celiac disease.

YIPES! What a frightening, but great, story!

Okay, you and Kdnov2's have inspired me; I

JillianLindsay Enthusiast

When we confirmed I had celiac disease, I cleared out a cupboard in the kitchen that is now for gluten-free foods only. My hubby has a cupboard for his poison (I mean, gluten-containing foods) way over on the other side of the kitchen :) We make sure to keep those foods separate so that I don't accidentally eat something I shouldn't.

Drink lots of water and I hope you feel better soon!

kdonov2 Contributor

Thanks everyone. I have a hard time taking in many fluids, but I will definitely force myself to drink as much water as possible.

Lynayah Enthusiast

If I have a lot of discomfort, an Epsom salt bath feels great, at least temporarily. Also, I have heard from some that taking gluten-free milk thistle helps, although I have no idea if it is true.

How are you feeling?

Archived