Diva1

My First Weekend Away Since Gluten-Free Wow Still Got Gluten

Rate this topic

Hi

I guess I just need to vent a bit..just had a weekend away with family to boston to see the Boston Pops ( wow) anyway on 2nd day there I'm felling so good and toasting to my feeling better and being able to enjoy myself without being in agony with pain...Gluten free for 4 month....soy too.. anyway..boom. Went to a restaurant that assured me that my food was Gluten-Free and my oh my what a glutened ..woke up with abdominal pain and the big D all day.....then the joint and body aches started...well 2 days into my weekend of 4 days was cut short on feeling good ended right there.

I will learn to only go to restaurant that have a gluten free menu just for me....I will google and do my math...

But the worst of all this is that one of my family member was to the point of being sarcastic about my diet and that hurts my feeling. I wished that they could feel for 5 minutes what we feel for 3 days after being glutenned. I get so down and teary ..is this normal..

Thank god for my loving husband who is so sensitive to my issues....

Why are some people so insensitive and non caring.

anyway thanks for listening, this forum is my little oasis and i know that everybody cares here..

Be sue to let the restaurant know that you became glutened. They need to know so they do not gluten the next person.

I'm sorry you were feeling so bad. It's hard when your own family isn't supportive. Just know there is karma and if that person was being negative towards your symptoms, it will come back to them.

Also know that even if a restaurant has a gluten free menu you still need to be careful. I went out for my birthday to a restaurant with a gluten free menu and still got glutened. My fault for not speaking up and assuming that because they had a gluten free menu that they would know what they were doing. Oops. At least I had just gone gluten free so my symptoms weren't too bad.

The best 'restaurant card' I have seen is included in the book by Elizabeth Hasselback. I know she's controversial but her card mentions the possibility of cross contaminations and the need to cook with clean utensils and not use flavorings with grain derivatives. If you don't want to get the book I'd suggest looking at the card and copying the wording. Everything we can do to communicate and teach about this is helpful.

About the sarcastic family member...I'm sure you've touched a nerve for lots of people. My stepmother doesn't get the gluten free diet or my neuro symptoms at all and dealing with her turns me into a messy bundle of hurt, anger, self-pity, resentment. The only thing I can say is that it's always easy to underestimate other people's pain. The Hasselback book and others have good discussions about things to say to people, but in the end they can't feel your pain and they can't make you well. I still don't like having to be so responsible and organized about bringing my own food and being assertive to restaurant staff who have no clue. The last time I was glutened the waiter made a big deal about understanding my gluten allergy and a companion's lactose allergy and we both got zapped.

I hate that I can't take a break from working the gluten free diet because my gluten reactions don't take a break.

Hope you feel better soon.

The best 'restaurant card' I have seen is included in the book by Elizabeth Hasselback. I know she's controversial but her card mentions the possibility of cross contaminations and the need to cook with clean utensils and not use flavorings with grain derivatives. If you don't want to get the book I'd suggest looking at the card and copying the wording. Everything we can do to communicate and teach about this is helpful.

About the sarcastic family member...I'm sure you've touched a nerve for lots of people. My stepmother doesn't get the gluten free diet or my neuro symptoms at all and dealing with her turns me into a messy bundle of hurt, anger, self-pity, resentment. The only thing I can say is that it's always easy to underestimate other people's pain. The Hasselback book and others have good discussions about things to say to people, but in the end they can't feel your pain and they can't make you well. I still don't like having to be so responsible and organized about bringing my own food and being assertive to restaurant staff who have no clue. The last time I was glutened the waiter made a big deal about understanding my gluten allergy and a companion's lactose allergy and we both got zapped.

I hate that I can't take a break from working the gluten free diet because my gluten reactions don't take a break.

Hope you feel better soon.

Wow you said it all, thanks for the words of encouragements..I needed this