This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Japanese Steakhouse

SLB5757

SLB5757 Enthusiast

OK guys - need help here.

My boyfriend and I have decided to take my 10 year old daughter to a Japanese Steakhouse tonight so she can watch the food being cooked on the Hibachi grill. She absolutely loves this place and it is really a treat since it is so expensive and we don't go often. I am the only person Gluten-Free and would love for her to be able to have the experience so I wondered how I can get through the dinner and stay gluten free.

The only thing I have an issue with is figuring out what the ingredients are that are being used. I do not speak teh language, and while they do speak English as well - I wouldn't say I would be comfortable knowing without a doubt that they knew what I was asking of them if I asked about gluten (wheat, Rye, Barley, Oates).

They serve noodles, rice, and veggies along with your meat - all cooked on the hibachi grill. They add some brown sauce and I think sesami seeds. I always used to order Hibachi Chicken - and I assumed the brown sauce was Terriyaki.

I am assuming I have to ask if they are rice noodles or wheat, if the sauce is Terriyaki or Soy (and is it Gluten-Free).....right?

I wouldn't think the fresh chicken would be an issue or the rice without any sauce (could order steamed rice if I have too and let them enjoy. Just wondered what your take would be on the situation? I don't want to be a pain, don't want to BE in pan, but overall want them to have a fun meal and goo dexperience w/out food troubles and worries that I have.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kenlove Rising Star

Its pretty sad but without communications about the only thing you can have safely is the rice.

The soy, teriyaki, ponzu and other sauces are usually made with soy sauce base that is laden with wheat. You should/could bring your own wheat free soy sauce.

They would have to cook your meat by itself and make sure the grill and utensils have not touched the other meats or veggies with soy sauce.

Even the salad dressing can be tricky in a place like this. Miso dressing is not usually safe as the miso can be made with barley.

Often the noodles are soba and these places make yaki soba which is buckwheat. The problem is that 99% of the noodles outside of Japan are either 30 or 60% buckwheat and the rest regular wheat so you cant have those. If you live in a place where there is a good Japanese grocery store you can ask if they have juwari soba which is 100% buckwheat but rare outside of Japan.

I used to bring my kids and now my grandkids to these teppanyaki places but since becoming celiac 5 years ago I can no longer do it and eat anything there.

good luck!

Ken

OK guys - need help here.

My boyfriend and I have decided to take my 10 year old daughter to a Japanese Steakhouse tonight so she can watch the food being cooked on the Hibachi grill. She absolutely loves this place and it is really a treat since it is so expensive and we don't go often. I am the only person Gluten-Free and would love for her to be able to have the experience so I wondered how I can get through the dinner and stay gluten free.

The only thing I have an issue with is figuring out what the ingredients are that are being used. I do not speak teh language, and while they do speak English as well - I wouldn't say I would be comfortable knowing without a doubt that they knew what I was asking of them if I asked about gluten (wheat, Rye, Barley, Oates).

They serve noodles, rice, and veggies along with your meat - all cooked on the hibachi grill. They add some brown sauce and I think sesami seeds. I always used to order Hibachi Chicken - and I assumed the brown sauce was Terriyaki.

I am assuming I have to ask if they are rice noodles or wheat, if the sauce is Terriyaki or Soy (and is it Gluten-Free).....right?

I wouldn't think the fresh chicken would be an issue or the rice without any sauce (could order steamed rice if I have too and let them enjoy. Just wondered what your take would be on the situation? I don't want to be a pain, don't want to BE in pan, but overall want them to have a fun meal and goo dexperience w/out food troubles and worries that I have.

digmom1014 Enthusiast

This is what I do in our Japanese grill in Chicago. First thing I do is alert the chef at our table and bring my own gluten-free soy sauce. I don't touch the 1st course soup, it has soy in it. I eat the 2nd course salad with ginger dressing. The 3rd course is shrimp, and is just grilled. The fourth course is the veggies and this is where you have to bring your own gluten-free soy sauce or skip the veggies all together. (the chef made mine separate and added my own gluten-free soy sauce) I ordered the golden shrimp and scallops, no soy added there. If you want the terriaki chicken I would call ahead and investigate with the owner/manager. I always order white rice and then add my own soy. The dipping sauces you need to check on.

Have a good time! This is not a very hard place to eat!

SLB5757 Enthusiast

Unfortunately I live in a semi small place called Findlay Ohio. We only have the one Steakhouse. I called them and the gal who answered was helpful saying she would check with the check and call me back but could only offer that it was regular hibachi sauce and noodles.

She ended up calling me back to state that the hibachi sauce is Soy sauce and Terriyaki sauce (couldn't or didn't understand that I needed to know exact ingredients of each), and stated that the noodles are the regular egg noodles (I had asked if they were wheat or rice noodles).

I don't mind going sauceless and having white rice for one meal ( I do not eat lettuce due to allergies and wouldn't do the soup since I can't see ingredients). But wouldn't there be cross contamination on the hibachi grill from everyone elses meal.....or would it burn of at such a high heat?? I seem to be very tummy sensitive and don't want to set anything off.

I may go and have rice so at least she can enjoy the meal (its a rare occasion that I do not have my 4 year old with us....so she will love teh one on one time). I will say I am not too hungry and not make a big scene, and just eat something at home afterwords ;) No harm in that. Then they won't feel bad either - ya know!!

Kenlove I agree...I think I just can't eat anything but rice there. Digmom1014 - you guys must be in a larger town that if used to people with intolerances. Do they cook your shrip separate back in the back? I assumed the hibachi grill would be contaminated no matter how much they clean before your meal. I am probably very wrong though. lol.

missy'smom Collaborator

digimom, I'm sorry to say that the ginger dressing for the salad can often contain soy sauce in it. Since it is not soy based, the small amount may be overlooked by the waitress when you order. I would ask that they check carefully. Maybe you're lucky and the place you go to doesn't use it. Just FYI.

Gemini Experienced
Kenlove I agree...I think I just can't eat anything but rice there. Digmom1014 - you guys must be in a larger town that if used to people with intolerances. Do they cook your shrip separate back in the back? I assumed the hibachi grill would be contaminated no matter how much they clean before your meal. I am probably very wrong though. lol.

Ken hit the nail on the head! I no longer ever eat at Japanese restaurants because their food is loaded with gluten, for all the reasons Ken stated. The noodles in this country contain wheat, there is the broth issue, soy is a no-no and yes, the grill problem. The grill is totally contaminated and unless they are kind enough to own a dedicated grill, you will probably get sick.

There is a new Japanese steak grill place in town here and no way will I ever eat there myself. Kind of bums the hubby out but that's life. At least he could go there on his own or with friends but I got extremely ill right before I was diagnosed from eating in a Japanese restaurant. When I look back on how much gluten I consumed that night, I shake my head and laugh! I do miss it sometimes because I love Japanese food but you get over it!

You are good to offer to go for your daughters sake and not eat.....that is hard when the food smells so good!

kenlove Rising Star
You are good to offer to go for your daughters sake and not eat.....that is hard when the food smells so good!

I read the sake part and thought Sa ke not sake -

thinking at least when I go to these places I can still drink sake! (^_^)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived