sha

Heart Burn

Rate this topic

I am new on here.I have been gluten-free close to a year now and watched my diet well.The other day for the first time, I went to McDonalds with my boyfriend and ordered large french fries because,I was told they were gulten free by a Mcdonalds worker. I started to have heartburn and being to feel sick.I was then told to get Maalox Advanced and equate Omeprazole from Walmart.I have also tried rolaids and nothing has helped.The burning along with the pain does not ease up.Can anyone give me some advice or hurt burn medicines that work?

Guest backboneexecutives

I am new on here.I have been gluten-free close to a year now and watched my diet well.The other day for the first time, I went to McDonalds with my boyfriend and ordered large french fries because,I was told they were gulten free by a Mcdonalds worker. I started to have heartburn and being to feel sick.I was then told to get Maalox Advanced and equate Omeprazole from Walmart.I have also tried rolaids and nothing has helped.The burning along with the pain does not ease up.Can anyone give me some advice or hurt burn medicines that work?

McDonald's fries are fried with other food and therefore you were probably glutened. I don't know but I heard Rolaid s weren't good either. If I have been glutened or start to feel funky I drink about 40 oz of water and then I usually start to feel better. Unfortunately you have to ride it out.

heartburn, you can get this tea called Organic Ginger Aid it is awesome and always works usually after about 3 cups I feel great. :-) Sorry this happened. I would love to find some gluten free fries.

McDonald's fries are fried with other food and therefore you were probably glutened.

At McDonald's, the fries are cooked in dedicated potato fryers at the front of the store, while everything else is fried in the back. The only other things that go into the front fryers are the hash browns during breakfast, and they are also gluten-free. Cross contamination is possible, but it is not from shared fry oil.

Rolaids soft chews have gluten! I found out the hard way, but the regular tabs are fine. Gaviscon is very good. I used that while I was pregnant, and it was great. It's gross while chewing because it foams up in your mouth, but it coats everything with a protective layer. Tums work well for me. I've also used alka seltzer a few times. It lasts longer than Tums, but Gaviscon works the best, IMHO. Feel better soon!

According to the McDonalds website: http://nutrition.mcdonalds.com/nutritionexchange/ingredientslist.pdf

The french fries are NOT gluten free! They have a natural beef flavor that has wheat in it. I remember checking Burger King's website, and their fries are gluten free. I've eaten BK fries with no problem.

This has to be the most hotly debated subject on the board over the last four years.

McDonalds fries in the United States (but not in other countries, and maybe not even in all parts of the US), have a flavor which is derived in part from wheat. Independent testing of the finished product has found no detectable gluten in the fries as served.

Search the board for other discussions about this. There are dozens of topics and hundreds of posts. Read them and then decide what is right for you. Many of us eat the fries without any problem.

I haven't set foot in a Burger King since I went gluten-free almost ten years ago. At that time, the fryers were shared with onion rings, so were contaminated through the oil. Things may have changed.

:unsure: I didn't think Maalox was gluten free. I can't confirm but for some reason I have that in my head. I've used Tums for heartburn...but not the 'fruit smoothie' flavors because those are not gluten free. But, Zantac and regular Tums (peppermint flavor) work.

And I've never dared to try McDonald's fries and don't plan to anytime soon. Five Guys fries have to suffice. I'll venture a Frosty from Wendy's and maybe a baked potato from a fast food place now and then...but that's it as far as fast food for me.

Very interesting about the McDonalds fries. I must say I'm tempted to give them a try since lots of people here eat them with no trouble. I can almost taste them already. :) Thanks.