nycgirl

Looking For Some Food Recommendations

Rate this topic

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. My doctor gave me a list of foods I can and can't eat, but there are all of these special Glutton Free mixes and frozen foods at Whole Foods and my local super market. Does any one have any advice they can give me. Which of the mixes and special "glutton free" products are worth trying, which aren't? Would love some advice. Thanks! :)

Hi, I was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease. My doctor gave me a list of foods I can and can't eat, but there are all of these special Glutton Free mixes and frozen foods at Whole Foods and my local super market. Does any one have any advice they can give me. Which of the mixes and special "glutton free" products are worth trying, which aren't? Would love some advice. Thanks! :)

Hi NYC,

Check out the Product Section of this Forum. It will really help you out. And welcome!

I would suggest you keep a food journal.

You will be trying new foods and may find you have other food intolerances other than gluten.

You can also keep track of products you do and do not like. Once you find products you like you can order in bulk on-line. (I click through goodshop and a small percentage of the purchase goes to a charity I choose when I shop on-line.)

I would suggest you keep a food journal.

You will be trying new foods and may find you have other food intolerances other than gluten.

You can also keep track of products you do and do not like. Once you find products you like you can order in bulk on-line. (I click through goodshop and a small percentage of the purchase goes to a charity I choose when I shop on-line.)

I agree with a food journal. I didn't know what to buy and wished someone would tell me what to buy for my husband. I found out just because a bunch of people like doesn't mean we will like it.

Before buying in bulk make sure the savings are worth it. I was going to start buying my flours online in bulk until I figured out that I was only saving $2.00, about a quarter per package. It was worth the quarter to buy it at the local store so they will continue to carry it.

Kinnickinnick, Bakery on Main Granola, Glutino, Tinkyada pasta, Gluten Free Panry Mixes, the french bread mix makes great pizza crusts, those are a few of my favs.

Everyone is different in their tastes as far as what they like. Take it easy on the replacements for a little bit though. Some will contain ingredients that you may not have had before and some may be a little tough on the tummy at first for a few of us.

The best way to go at first is to go with whole unprocessed foods as much as you can. Do as suggested check out the products section of the board.

I went online and read reviews of products and then read stuff here.

I am Italian and pretty picky about pasta. I really like the Tinkyada pasta.

Betty Crocker has a great brownie and cake mix. My family devoured the cupcakes I made from the yellow cake mix.

I am finding that my gut needs more healing and when I eat the gluten free junk food it's not agreeing with me. Neither is the bread right now. I was VERY sick when I started this just a bit over 2 weeks ago, so maybe you won't experience that.

I was dying for a sweet though so I got some gluten free rice crispie cereal (you have to buy this special because the regular brand has barley malt) and I made rice krispie treats. I threw some chocolate chips in that were safe and that satisfied my sweet craving with no tummy ache. I don't know if all marshmallows are gluten free so read ingredients.