aprildutch

Trouble With Bob's Red Mill Mixes?

Rate this topic

I am new to the forum (gluten-free, DF since Nov '09) and was wondering if anyone else feels sick after eating Gluten free mixes by Bob's Red Mill, Namaste, etc. I was feeling much better when I started out eating only whole foods, then trying to add in the mixes and flours, but my stomach is feeling sick/puffy again. Is this common?

The xanthan gum in these products may be causing you problems. The internet has info on the side effects.

Sadly, many of Bob's Red Mill flours are stone ground, which produces too much heat, breaking down some of the components in the grains/beans. Thus they are often rancid right from the mill. I never use them.

But, prepackaged mixes make it more difficult to track down what it is your reacting to. It could be any one (or more) of the ingredients. It might be worth it in the long run to buy small packages of each flour separately. Then you can try each individually, one at a time, until you've sorted out which if any give you problems. Make sure they're all processed in a gluten-free facility too. You can do the same with xanthan an guar gum.

Then, even if you intend to buy mixes, you can use the flours which don't bother you. This board has plenty of recipe suggestions, so they don't have to go to waste.

It is possible that you are reacting to oats. They process their gluten free oats in their gluten free facility.

It is also possible you are reacting to eating garbanza and fava beans in the gluten free flour mix.

Keep a food journal to see which ingredient might be the problem for you.