This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet?

PreOptMegs

Green12 Enthusiast
Rachel,

those little baby carrots have corn on them? And applesauce that just says 'apples' in it? Can you give me a list of all of things, just so I can see if I too need to eliminate that? I'm so desperate and scared. I'm really scared.

what about salt that says naturally occuring iodine?

I would also like to know where to get thorough information about what not to eat and what to eat when avoiding corn. I have been investigating corn allergies for several days now and I seem to have more questions than answers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
corinne Apprentice

Having a rough day today. The diet is working and everything is normal on that end of things. I've been able to cut way down on the peptobismol. Now, I'm getting burning pain in my stomache. I think it's probably because my stomache is used to being coated with bismuth 3 or 4 times a day and now it's not, I'm getting gastritis. It woke me up at 4 and I couldn't get into work until 11. Then it's that time of the month and cramps started. I can't take any tylenol for the cramps because of my stomache. ARRGHH!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

those little baby carrots have corn on them? And applesauce that just says 'apples' in it? Can you give me a list of all of things, just so I can see if I too need to eliminate that? I'm so desperate and scared. I'm really scared.

what about salt that says naturally occuring iodine? what about if my supplements say 'corn free' does that mean 100%?

Dani I went to the Delphi Avoiding Corn forum and just started reading all the posts which is where I learned most of this stuff.

The amount of stuff that corn's in is really extensive...at first I was really intimidated by it. I still am but it seems to be working for me so I'm more excited than anything right now. The only salt that is safe (as far as I know) is sea salt. Some people seem to do ok with small amounts of regular salt but I definately do not. I've actually been useing only sea salt for over a year now cuz the other stuff made my symptoms worse but I didnt know why. I just knew the sea salt worked for me.

All of the things that brought on my symptoms seemed to have nothing in common...I couldnt find a link. Alot of the stuff was gluten-free so gluten was not the only problem for sure.

These are some of the things that caused bad reactions over the past 3 years but I never understood why.

All soda

All fruit juice

Canned fruits and vegetables

All chewing gum

White enriched rice (Quaker cream of rice)

Vanilla extract and other extracts

Alcohol

Vanilla flavoring

Marshmallows

Mints

All baked goods, breads, etc...whether gluten-free or not

Most specialty gluten-free foods

Jams and jellies

All frozen foods

Soups

All vitamins and medications

Cheese and other dairy products

Cooking oils

Toothpaste

Chapstick

All of the boxed milks (almond, soy, rice)

Chips

Basically it seemed like I was "allergic" to everything. Thats why I was sticking to meats fruits and veggies all this time. I've only drank water for over a year now. Just this week I had milk and hot chocolate w/ corn free marshmallows.

Here are some links to the sites that have helped me.

Open Original Shared Link

Sorry I cant answer all your questions like about the supplements and stuff cuz I've only been doing this for a week now and I'm still not totally corn-free. I still have many phone calls to make and I'm still learning. I'm still taking my thyroid meds w/ corn in them.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel-

I ahve been following your posts on the corn issue. I can't even tell you how similar your situation sounds to mine. The candida, leaky gut, malabsorbtion inability to gain weight, etc. I have tried everything and have not gotten better - if anything worse. I ahd never seriously thought about the corn thing before but since you brought it up I have been doing a ton of research. I think i might really try to eliminate it. -I have nothing to lose at this point. I am so happy and hopeful to hear how you have improved. What have you been eating- brushing yur teeth with. God i thought soy was in everything but corn definitly takes the cake.

Any advice would be helpful and pleases please keep posting your progress.

Miamia

Don't worry...I'll keep posting as I go along....you guys are stuck with me. :P

No kidding about corn taking the cake! I never had any idea it was in all this stuff. I would hear "corn" and think of corn on the cob, cornbread, popcorn, tortillas and chips...thats about it. :blink:

I never once thought it could be the root of my problems.

For about the last 5 months I've been using Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry toothpaste (for kids). It doesnt bother me...turns out its corn-free. I also sometimes use baking soda. I've been eating lundberg rice, rice cakes, Tinkyada pasta, I've been baking my own pancakes, muffins, etc. Meats, fish, some fruits and veggies (some bother me though), potatoes, homemade tapioca pudding, Dagoba chocolate bars. I got some marshmallows and chocolate chips from kosher/passover sections in the stores. They are corn free. I also found something called ricemellow...its gluten-free, corn free, no added junk and vegan. I use it for a topping on my muffins or whatever. I'm currently looking for passover Coke...they have one w/out corn syrup only for passover. Its my mission to get some since I havent had a soda in over 2 years. I dont have alot of stuff in my diet right now since I just started this last week. I'll wait till I'm symptom free before I start adding new things in.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I'm currently looking for passover Coke...they have one w/out corn syrup only for passover. Its my mission to get some since I havent had a soda in over 2 years. I dont have alot of stuff in my diet right now since I just started this last week. I'll wait till I'm symptom free before I start adding new things in.

Have you looked into Steaz? They have a cola flavor that's really good. It doesn't contain corn syrup and I've verified with the company that it's gluten and dairy-free. It could definitely have corn, I have no idea...but maybe not? :unsure:

PreOptMegs Explorer

so companies add corn products to canned fruits and veggies like applesauce??? That must be why the SCD is so adamant about staying away from canned things. Hang in there everyone with the corn problems....

miamia Rookie

Rachel- I use toms of main silly strawberry toothpaste too because mint had been bothering me and yes I found out earlier today it was corn free- which is pretty amazing becasue besides the toms of main toothpastes almost everybrand has corn. I made some calls today to find out about some products that I have been eating and actually people were really helpful, I remember calling people about gluten and they acted like I was insane. I really cannot believe how many things corn is in though- honey- why the hell is corn in honey? sugar, salt, citric acid, lactaid acid- these are in everything- and they all mean there is or could be corn. Well at least some of the things I have been eating are still alright because its so hard for me to find things I really react to everything.

Miamia

Don't worry...I'll keep posting as I go along....you guys are stuck with me. :P

No kidding about corn taking the cake! I never had any idea it was in all this stuff. I would hear "corn" and think of corn on the cob, cornbread, popcorn, tortillas and chips...thats about it. :blink:

I never once thought it could be the root of my problems.

For about the last 5 months I've been using Tom's of Maine Silly Strawberry toothpaste (for kids). It doesnt bother me...turns out its corn-free. I also sometimes use baking soda. I've been eating lundberg rice, rice cakes, Tinkyada pasta, I've been baking my own pancakes, muffins, etc. Meats, fish, some fruits and veggies (some bother me though), potatoes, homemade tapioca pudding, Dagoba chocolate bars. I got some marshmallows and chocolate chips from kosher/passover sections in the stores. They are corn free. I also found something called ricemellow...its gluten-free, corn free, no added junk and vegan. I use it for a topping on my muffins or whatever. I'm currently looking for passover Coke...they have one w/out corn syrup only for passover. Its my mission to get some since I havent had a soda in over 2 years. I dont have alot of stuff in my diet right now since I just started this last week. I'll wait till I'm symptom free before I start adding new things in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Have you looked into Steaz? They have a cola flavor that's really good. It doesn't contain corn syrup and I've verified with the company that it's gluten and dairy-free. It could definitely have corn, I have no idea...but maybe not? :unsure:

I struck out looking for the Coke but the Whole Foods 365 sodas looked pretty safe. I got a 6 pack of root beer....so we'll see. I havent had a soda in 2 years....my reactions were bad and I havent been tempted to drink soda in all this time because of it. The can says no artifical ingredients, no additives, gluten free and they dont use corn syrup as a sweetener. They use cane sugar.

If I can drink this and be ok with it then I'll be convinced because so far everything I've tried that is corn free has not given me a reaction and everything that is questionable or does have corn has given me a reaction. Its amazing how this is all coming together for me. I'm a little scared though. I havent felt this good in such a long time. I'm thrilled about the weight gain and I just look and feel healthier. I'm scared its gonna end or something.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel- I use toms of main silly strawberry toothpaste too because mint had been bothering me and yes I found out earlier today it was corn free- which is pretty amazing becasue besides the toms of main toothpastes almost everybrand has corn. I made some calls today to find out about some products that I have been eating and actually people were really helpful, I remember calling people about gluten and they acted like I was insane. I really cannot believe how many things corn is in though- honey- why the hell is corn in honey? sugar, salt, citric acid, lactaid acid- these are in everything- and they all mean there is or could be corn. Well at least some of the things I have been eating are still alright because its so hard for me to find things I really react to everything.

Miamia

I switched to Toms of Maine about 3 years ago when all this first started and toothpaste was burning my mouth. I wasnt having this problem with the Tom's stuff. I've been using the kids one for awhile now...glad you can confirm its corn-free. I never called them I just read it somewhere. Alot of things I just stopped using because of how they made me feel...like chewing gum, salt, regular toothpaste, canned goods, etc. In the last year the majority of corn has been coming from my supplements and thyroid meds. I knew the supplements bothered me but since I had no clue why I just kept trying different brands and new things. I wasted a ton of money because I never found anything that didnt make me feel worse.

The honey thing is weird. I think it has something to do with the bees or something. :unsure: Not really sure but I read something about it. Do you react to honey? I've had a major reaction from honey every time I've tried it. The last time was last month when I started the SCD diet...this is why I gave up on the diet. I couldnt stay on it because I was reacting to alot of the "allowed" foods. I think because I was taking all the supplements and my thyroid meds my system was just always hypersensitive to everything. At first I was fine with the carrots and I was eating tons of them but then all of a sudden I had a huge reaction. Now that I think about it I had gotten the carrots I reacted to at a different store so they were a different brand but still organic baby peeled. Maybe this brand had been washed with the vegetable stuff??? I tried to eat some again last week...only 3 little carrots and I still reacted so I tossed all of them. I bet if I go back and buy the first brand again....I probably wont react. <_<

Thats great that you're calling around....I'm lazy when it comes to that. I can sit at the computer all day doing research but never want to make a phone call. I got my new thyroid perscription tonight. It asks for the same med but gluten-free, corn-free and no dyes. I cant wait to make the switch. :D

I'm feeling really good and I hope you start to feel better as well. I definately wouldnt wish a corn intolerance on anyone but I also know how hard it is to not know whats going on. Keep me posted on what you learn and how you're feeling. :)

dlp252 Apprentice
Now, I'm getting burning pain in my stomache. It woke me up at 4 and I couldn't get into work until 11.

The same thing has been happening to me...it was so bad last night that I couldn't get comfortable. I woke up at 12:30 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep. It's been happening a lot lately too...I kind of went off the SCD to see if that would clear it up (because it seemed to get worse after I started that), but it doesn't seem to be helping. I finally took a Prilosec OTC this morning to see if that helps. I used to get that bad burning in my stomache only once in a while, but it's been happening so much lately that I've started to worry. My endoscopy showed to DO have a little damage at the bottom of my esophagus and now I'm worrying (which makes this worse I think, lol) that it will get damaged further. The scarey thing is that I have the head of my bed raised so this isn't supposed to happen in the middle of the night, grrr.

danikali Enthusiast

Rachel, I'm wondering if I have a corn problem too. I am reacting to EVERYTHING EVERYTHING EVERYTHING! I'm like you with the honey. Everytime I try the honey, I get horrible problems. Also, when I first started the SCD, I was fine with the carrots (baby carrots) I was eating too, and now I can't eat them because they give me MAJOR digestive issues. But, like you, I buy them from 4 different stores, and they are always different brands, probably about 5 all together, so that might be it. They are not always organic. Also, last week when I finally stopped taking my vitamans, I became normal again, while just eating meat. So I'm wondering, I've been reacting since Friday. On Friday, I had some goat yogurt, and had very very minor stomach aches. VERY MINOR. But then, my fiance met me for lunch and took me to a resturant. I wasn't very specific when ordering, I just got fillet minon and told her I'm allergic to a lot and asked if she could put my meat on a seperate plate from the sides and Danny would take my sides. Well, I ate the meat, but there were def. seasonings on there, salt included. I didn't say anything, I just ate it and shortly after lunch and from there on, I was having problems. I'm just thinking it HAS to be something specific that I'm reacting to because this SCD thing shouldn't be so hard. I eat ONLY legal things and I keep going back to eating only meat, cooked at home, with nothing on it, and that's all that works for me. How can I test myself? I WOULD LOVE to try the Hagan Das ice cream, but I tested positive to casein intolerance, so I don't want to mess with that, at least not now. GOD I would be so happy if I had the corn allergy too because at least I would know! And it would make sense that I react to so many things that just don't make sense! And I could relax knowing that I wouldn't have to live on only meat for the rest of my life! PLEASE!!!

Guest greengirl
I kind of went off the SCD to see if that would clear it up (because it seemed to get worse after I started that), but it doesn't seem to be helping.

I was having the burning pain after I started the SCD also. I hadn't noticed it too much when I was just gluten free. I did the camera capsule test and so I do know that I have ulcerations and hoped that the SCD would help me heal. It seemed that the diet was making it worse, though. HOWEVER, after 3 weeks the pain is going away and I feel much better. I backed off the fresh fruits and that seemed to help. Now, I can tolerate them more and I've been making some awesome recipes from the Grain Free Gourmet. Even bread made from just eggs and dry curd cottage cheese (Souffle bread). I do still get mild pain sometimes, but then for my next meal, I'll stick with meat and cooked vegetables and it gets better. Over time I think I will be healing.

Christine

danikali Enthusiast

WOW! I just want to say WOW! I looked over my journal and every single day, I have carrots, and everytime I have eaten the carrots, (most, not all actually), I have problems after I have them. So I just went and bought some Lundberg rice cakes because I thought, what the hell! Well, I just ate like half the bag and no problems. Also, I've been eating things with corn in them every single day. I used to live on these rice cakes, and I remember when I would have a big flare up of something, I would eat nothing BUT these rice cakes to get me back to normal. So, obviously, it's not the rice that has been hurting me. I was doing okay for the first 3 days on the SCD diet, and since then I have been having major problems on and off again, and everytime, eliminating more things. Now I have come down to meat/fish/chicken only because it seemed that those were the only things that I could tolerate, considering being on the SCD I was not able to eat my Lundberg ricecakes. Well, now that I am thinking about it, it seems like all of the things that were really bothering me were the things that had corn in them! Of course, I know I can't have gluten or dairy, but corn seems to be a bigger thing than I suspected with me. I'm going to keep the rice cakes in for a few days and then add something else gluten/corn/dairy free and make sure I keep all of the corn out. I also bought Tom from Maine's toothpaste.

dlp252 Apprentice
I was having the burning pain after I started the SCD also. I hadn't noticed it too much when I was just gluten free. I did the camera capsule test and so I do know that I have ulcerations and hoped that the SCD would help me heal. It seemed that the diet was making it worse, though. HOWEVER, after 3 weeks the pain is going away and I feel much better. I backed off the fresh fruits and that seemed to help. Now, I can tolerate them more and I've been making some awesome recipes from the Grain Free Gourmet. Even bread made from just eggs and dry curd cottage cheese (Souffle bread). I do still get mild pain sometimes, but then for my next meal, I'll stick with meat and cooked vegetables and it gets better. Over time I think I will be healing.

Christine

That's good to know! I just had two endoscopies and neither showed any ulcerations in my stomach, although I did have a polyp there which they removed. In fact, my entire digestive system (he also did a colonoscopy at the same time as the first endoscopy) looks really good except for the bit of damage at the bottom of my esophagus and an enlarged bile duct near my pancreas. Maybe I just didn't give the SCD enough of a trial. I still do cook all my veggies, but I did increase the fruit, so that might be it. Two days ago I went back to basically meat and veggies, although I've been eating things like mayo and the odd pickle here and there. I'll cut those out too and see what happens.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Dani, are the rice cakes plain? I only eat the organic plain unsalted. Maybe they use sea salt for the others though...I never payed attention. I tried a flavored one...I think honey nut or something. It was about 4 months ago but I remember it made me feel bad. I remember you posting that you felt bad after drinking grape juice....that would not be corn-free...none of the juices would be safe. Try to get rid of all the corn stuff so that you could see if its your problem or not.

Guest greengirl
That's good to know! I just had two endoscopies and neither showed any ulcerations in my stomach, although I did have a polyp there which they removed. In fact, my entire digestive system (he also did a colonoscopy at the same time as the first endoscopy) looks really good except for the bit of damage at the bottom of my esophagus and an enlarged bile duct near my pancreas. Maybe I just didn't give the SCD enough of a trial. I still do cook all my veggies, but I did increase the fruit, so that might be it. Two days ago I went back to basically meat and veggies, although I've been eating things like mayo and the odd pickle here and there. I'll cut those out too and see what happens.

Donna,

On my endoscopy, there was just slight irritation in my stomach. The barium x-ray was normal as was my colonoscopy, but it wasn't until they did the camera capsule that they found the small intestine ulcerations. If you really want to know what's going on in there you might want to ask for this test. There is some risk because my camera capsule actually got stuck for 5 days (probably because of inflammation or something)! It's supposed to come out within 24 hours! If it hadn't come out on its own, then I would have had to have major abdominal surgery to locate and remove it. My dr. said next time (to check on healing) he would do a CT scan first to make sure the passage was clear (the CT scan wouldn't show the ulcerations but it could show strictures or thickening of the bowel wall which would impede the capsule).

Anyway, stick with the SCD for awhile. It seems to be working so far for me, but like many posts I've seen I'm afraid to jinx it by being too optimistic!! :-)

Christine

PS - What test showed that the bile duct was enlarged? I had my gallbladder removed a couple years ago and I've often wondered if some damage was done during that surgery.

dlp252 Apprentice
Donna,

On my endoscopy, there was just slight irritation in my stomach. The barium x-ray was normal as was my colonoscopy, but it wasn't until they did the camera capsule that they found the small intestine ulcerations. If you really want to know what's going on in there you might want to ask for this test. There is some risk because my camera capsule actually got stuck for 5 days (probably because of inflammation or something)! It's supposed to come out within 24 hours! If it hadn't come out on its own, then I would have had to have major abdominal surgery to locate and remove it. My dr. said next time (to check on healing) he would do a CT scan first to make sure the passage was clear (the CT scan wouldn't show the ulcerations but it could show strictures or thickening of the bowel wall which would impede the capsule).

Anyway, stick with the SCD for awhile. It seems to be working so far for me, but like many posts I've seen I'm afraid to jinx it by being too optimistic!! :-)

Christine

PS - What test showed that the bile duct was enlarged? I had my gallbladder removed a couple years ago and I've often wondered if some damage was done during that surgery.

I think I will ask about it--I see him again on May 8 to discuss the results of my biopsies. He could see (barely though) the enlarged duct during the first endoscopy but couldn't get to it because the scope he used didn't articulate enough to get close. I had the second endoscopy with better equipment so he could look closer and get biopsies...the biopsies from this second scope are what I need to see him about. He had two biopsies done...one said it was completely benign and the other said that it was benign but showed signs of precancerous changes...he is having the pathologist look at it again to be sure.

I would have never known if I hadn't been having so many digestive issues, lol. In fact had I not complained about my gluten intolerance he may have not suggested the first endoscopy (although he might have because I do have GERD symptoms too). I originally went to him for the colonoscopy only. :D

danikali Enthusiast
Dani, are the rice cakes plain? I only eat the organic plain unsalted. Maybe they use sea salt for the others though...I never payed attention. I tried a flavored one...I think honey nut or something. It was about 4 months ago but I remember it made me feel bad. I remember you posting that you felt bad after drinking grape juice....that would not be corn-free...none of the juices would be safe. Try to get rid of all the corn stuff so that you could see if its your problem or not.

Yeah, I was looking for the completely plain cakes but they were out, so I looked at the lightly salted ones and it just says organic brown rice and sea salt. And so far so good. Maybe the honey that was in those rice cakes you tried was bad. I know I used to stay away from the carmal ones because for some reason, they didn't sit as well with me. My stomach is still swollen from the past couple of days, but I don't have any pain or gas or anything. (gas is my main sign to tell me what I've just eaten doesn't agree with my system and warns me to prepare for the rest of my symptoms to come back for a few days.) Anyway, I really really think this is it though Rachel. Everything that you've said, have been things I've thinking as well. For example, I stopped buying applesauce containing 'vitaman C, absorbic acid' in it because I just 'felt' that it was doing weird things to me and I did notice a difference with just plain apples in my applesauce. Also, it didn't make any sense to me how one day I could eat fish and carrots and be fine, and the next day, eat the same fish (different) carrots and have major problems. Also, EVERY SINGLE TIME I made almond butter or peanut butter cookies from the SCD recipe list, I had serious problems. I obviously attributed it to the honey because for one, the plain nut butters alone didn't bother me, (unless salt was added, so I started buying the peanut butter without salt) and for two, I didn't use eggs because they bother me, I just used the baking soda recipe and I'll have baking soda with water for heartburn, so I knew it wasn't that. So then I started thinking that I had a fructose intolerance because anytime I had honey, or apples (raw or with skin) or any kind of raw fruit, or fruit with skin on it, I would get problems. Also, you're right Rachel. That one day where I made the mistake and bought Welches grape juice with 'corn syrup' in it and had BAD BAD problems. I thought it was the 'sugar' from the corn syrup that was bothering me, but maybe it was the 'corn' in it. There was only 'corn syrup' and not sugar listed anywhere. Who knows. Maybe, maybe not. But you say that all juice has corn in it? Even the Welches grape juice that is supposed to be just grapes concentrated, no sugar added, no nothing added? I wonder..........anyway, I'm very happy you brought this up Rachel. I really hope that it wasn't the actual fruits and carrots that were bothering me, but the wax that they put on them. HOPE HOPE!

oh one more question Rachel. Do you know if it's only Tom of Maine's silly strawberry flavor that is corn free? I didn't see that one so I bought speriment.......

PreOptMegs Explorer

So what are you guys eating everyday? I am assuming you are not doing SCD anymore???

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I'm not doing SCD anymore. I've been eating very similar to SCD for a long time now and just never got better. Amazingly now that I've eliminated corn I'm eating all the "bad" stuff that I've been terrified to eat for a whole year now and I'm feeling great! :blink:

I make alot of stuff from scratch because of the corn and gluten intolerance but I eat pancakes, cookies, muffins, potatoes, rice, pasta, milkshakes, potato chips, chicken, turkey, lamb, fish, some veggies and fruits, hot dogs, rice cakes, chocolate bars, tapioca pudding...I've even had some ice cream. Last night I made rocky road with my safe marshmallows and dark chocolate...I cut them in little pieces and mixed them into my chocolate ice cream. Most everything is organic.

I cant even believe I'm able to eat all this stuff and feel good. I was eating the healthiest diet for a year with only veggies, meat, fish and some fruits. I felt bad the whole time. Now I'm eating alot of not so healthy stuff and feeling like a new person. Go figure. All of a sudden everyones commenting on how healthy I look.

I think it was just certain fruits and veggies that had corn wax on them...plus some of the vegetable oils I used and supplements. Those things were enough to keep me sick. Now I'm a little scared of vegetables...especially stuff like bell peppers and cucumbers...no wonder I always reacted to them. I'm going to stick to less shiny fruits and veggies and add stuff in one at a time. Last night I had asparagus and I was ok with it.

I think I might be the only one not doing SCD anymore but I dont think it was the right diet for me...I just needed to be corn-free. :)

oh one more question Rachel. Do you know if it's only Tom of Maine's silly strawberry flavor that is corn free? I didn't see that one so I bought speriment.......

Honestly, I've never looked into it. I was just reading the posts on the corn forum and someone posted that they use silly strawberry and its corn free...I thought "Cool, I dont have to change toothpaste again".

MiaMia posted something about all Toms of Maine being safe but I'm not sure...maybe you can pm her? I think she was making phone calls to some companies.

danikali Enthusiast

I was doing SCD but was not able to get anywhere with it. I felt like the longer I've been on it, the more I couldn't have!

Then I saw Rachel's post about corn allergies and sensitivities and looked at the list of things that are illegal. I thought about it and looked at my journal and realized that IT COULD BE my problem. Everyday, I was eating carrots, some days, I was fine, and some days I wasn't. That's why I pointed the finger at the other foods that I was eating or trying that day. I thought, it couldn't be the carrots, or the salt, because I had them yesterday, and I was fine. Or the day before, etc. (Mind you, I was going through carrots so quickly that I was constatnly buying new ones, different stores and different brands.)

Soooo, it got so bad that I only felt good on meat alone. Then I tried the yogurt and I was okay, but also went out to eat that day and got steak which was prepared with salt on it. Well, from then on, I was sick and of course, blaming it all on the other foods I was eating. The yogurt, rasins, almond butter, even though I was eating those things before and didn't seem to have any problems. I was getting really really scared. I thought that raw foods bothered me, actually, I was thinking ALL kinds of fructose because apples bothered me, with the skin on, and the honey KILLED me.

Well today I was going to start the intro. ALL OVER AGAIN, but only meat, AGAIN. I was getting really really depressed, I even had a convo. last night with my finace and said, what if all I can ever eat is meat?!? That's so wrong, unhealthy, and irrealistic. I was drooling for a watery, sweet, crunchy apple. Although legal, I was scared of fruit!

So today I said, f' it. (Sorry). I was reading Rachel's posts and all about corn sensitivities. I was reading and re-reading my food journal and everytime I had a problem, I also had carrots, salt, or honey in that day. Or something that may have been covered in wax. (apples, pears, etc.). (Also an accidental incident with Welches juice that had corn syrup in it.)

So I went out and bought Lundberg rice cakes. I ate tons of them, and felt fine. On the way home, I was like, f' it some more! I'm going to get a banana (I live in NYC, they sell fruit on the street). If I have a problem with this banana, back to the SCD and to my plain meat. So, I ate a banana. Felt fine. Kept walking, got another banana. Felt fine. Went to Whole foods, got an orange. Felt fine. Got home, peeled an apple, washed it really really really well, ate that, felt fine! Had a box of rasisns, felt fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't want to jinx it, I'm not even telling any friends or family yet, not even my fiance, but THANK YOU RACHEL! I think I'm onto something now too! I feel like crying!

So therefore, I don't know if I'll be staying on the SCD, but maybe just watching my corn substances, gluten of course and dairy. I don't know if I really need the SCD. But I'm going to keep testing because this just seems too good to be true!

I'll write later with an update, and I'll make a new post because those of you staying on the SCD probably think I'm getting in the way. Of course, unless I am forced to come back to it! I really hope I found another answer though! HOPE HOPE!!!!!!!!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't want to jinx it, I'm not even telling any friends or family yet, not even my fiance, but THANK YOU RACHEL! I think I'm onto something now too! I feel like crying!

Dani,

The thanx goes to "Simply V"....whoever she/he may be. All I know is that that person posted something about corn being the most difficult to eliminate and some of the things that corn is in...like dairy products. I kept thinking about that post for a couple days and finally started looking into it and 1 week later I've gained 10 lbs. and feel better than I have in a long time. My doctor seemed almost stunned by how well I'm doing now. I think I need to email him/her and thank them....without that post I dont think I'd have given corn a sceond thought.

miamia Rookie

I called Toms of Main all of their toothpastes are safe except 2 which have sorbitol. So you are probably safe with the spearmint I know the pepermint is alright. Rachel- it is so so inspiring to hear about your progress. I'm glad you were able to find your thyroid meds without corn.

Ceres juice is just the fruit no citric acid or anything else so it is safe. What sucks for me is i have crazy digestion problems and brown rice is too much for my system right now so instead of rice cakes I would eat corn cakes- well obviosly those are axed- but I still have a few options and really at this point I would give up anything to feel better. I do most of my own if not all my own cooking and baking so most of what I eat is alright still but cutting out corn makes it so I really will be making pretty much everything.

I found out there are a # of Imagine products that are gluten and corn free. I can't have almond or peanut butter - which sucks but I allow myself to have sunbutter ( even though it has a bit of soy which I shoulden't have either)- but it is corn free . I'll have to remember the other foods I found out that are safe and I will post them.

Miamia

Dani,

The thanx goes to "Simply V"....whoever she/he may be. All I know is that that person posted something about corn being the most difficult to eliminate and some of the things that corn is in...like dairy products. I kept thinking about that post for a couple days and finally started looking into it and 1 week later I've gained 10 lbs. and feel better than I have in a long time. My doctor seemed almost stunned by how well I'm doing now. I think I need to email him/her and thank them....without that post I dont think I'd have given corn a sceond thought.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

MiaMia,

What is Ceres juice? I dont think I've ever seen it.

miamia Rookie

Ceres juices are really god- I like the pear and the mango- they have a website its www.ceresjuices.com. They sell them at most health food stores and at this point alot of regular grocery stores as well. Racheel- did you mention in another post that you had had candida?

Miamia

MiaMia,

What is Ceres juice? I dont think I've ever seen it.

Archived