This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Do You Avoid Foods That Are Processed Or Packaged In A Facility That Handles Wheat?

jenny-ann

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

jenny-ann Rookie

We are just getting started here and I am looking for products that fit our lifestyle and are celiac safe.

Our diet consists primarily of organic single ingredient products - fruits, veggies, meats, grains... I am in search of organic oats, corn meal, etc. that aren't processed in a facility handling wheat products. I did find some things in GlutenFreeMall labeled OK for celiacs with packages clearly marked 'packaged on equipment that also packages wheat products'.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmom Newbie

We are just getting started here and I am looking for products that fit our lifestyle and are celiac safe.

Our diet consists primarily of organic single ingredient products - fruits, veggies, meats, grains... I am in search of organic oats, corn meal, etc. that aren't processed in a facility handling wheat products. I did find some things in GlutenFreeMall labeled OK for celiacs with packages clearly marked 'packaged on equipment that also packages wheat products'.

debmom Newbie

We have used products processed in facilities that process wheat for three years with only one adverse reaction. My daughter just last week reacted to ONE chip that is gluten free but processed in a non-gluten free facility. She had a full blown reaction for two days from just one chip. But once in three years isn't too bad--

tarnalberry Community Regular

Some of us do, some of us don't.

I don't generally worry about it, and haven't had a problem, but I'm not the world's most sensitive celiac either.

Others find they have to completely stay away from things made in shared facilities. I would remind you, however, that if there is any gluten containing food in your house, or guests ever bring in even a gluten containing cookie, your house is a shared facility with wheat.

missy'smom Collaborator

The only oats that we can have are those that are specially grown and certified gluten-free. Bob's Red Mill(make sure it's the bag with the gluten-free mark as they sell some that are not gluten-free), Cream Hill Estates and Gifts of Nature are the 3 safe oats that I know of.

newgfcali Rookie

I would remind you, however, that if there is any gluten containing food in your house, or guests ever bring in even a gluten containing cookie, your house is a shared facility with wheat.

LOL! Good point.

I'm avoiding anything processed right now because I'm still pretty new to this whole diet and don't want to complicate matters. Maybe as time goes on and I stop getting glutened by my own mistakes, I'll add processed foods back in. But for now, it's chicken, fruit & veggies for me. Oh, and Pamela's gluten free gingersnaps. :P

jststric Contributor

I'm not a diagnosed Celiac. I think I'm "only" gluten-intolerant. But I seem to be pretty sensitive and have had trouble with items that say "processed in facilities that also.....". Now, I seem to be in the minority about oats. I have had issues with generic brands but as long as I stick with Quaker Oats, in addition to the more expensive exclusive oat companies, I seem to do just fine. I think the key to things like this is even tho we have alot of commonalities, each of us are different also and we have to learn what works and doesn't work for us. But this is a GREAT place to glean information and learn!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I don't buy/eat many processed foods, and I stay away from those that are processed on shared equipment or those that say "may contain traces of...".

EmilyR83 Rookie

We avoid wheat at all costs. Processed in the same facility seems to effect my son as much as eating a piece of wheat toast. We had numerous problems with the walmart "gluten free" until I realized that it said that it was processed in a facility with wheat. Now I always read extra carefully.

Glamour Explorer

I have been avoiding packaged and frozen foods as well as most soups and canned goods with a lot of ingredients. I just can't determine exactly what is in some of them and what, besides wheat, I am reacting to.

I can't handle MSG, food dyes, preservatives.

Packaged foods usually contain a lot of sugar and salt.

Ever since I got this skin rash, I am very reactive. I have lost about 25-30 lbs since going gluten free about 4 months ago. Evidently wheat was not agreeing with me on many levels and products are packed with fat, sugar, and other poison.

I am going to get even more diligent because packaged gluten free products are just too expensive, as well as confusing.

Replacing these items with fresh vegetables, and home cooked foods.

jenny-ann Rookie

Thank you for the many responses! I think because our diet consists of so few packaged foods I will start off not worrying about shared equipment and see how my daughter does. I can always adjust from there. I am so appreciative of everyone who takes the time to share their stories and words of wisdom...

Jenn

Archived