serenajane

Disappointed By Local Chinese Rest

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I am finding it hard to communicate with some of my favorite take out places. Pizza is no longer an option. I thought I had found a few things I could eat my my local chinese restaurant. The language barrier poses a gluteness problem. the packets of soy sauce the send you home with doesn't seem to contain gluten but the bulk containers they cook with does. I need to find out if I can have them use my soy sauce so I can still have a special treat now and again.

any ideas

Honestly, I would just find another place to eat. I gave up one of my favorite Mexican restaurants because they just have no clue about allergies, celiac or anything and they aren't willing to investigate to help me out. Move on and eat somewhere safe.

Same as Sandsurfgirl--I found new restaurants when I started going back to dining out. The grill just off campus? None of my friends or I ate there prior to this year, but they know what gluten is and serve cheap drinks, so none of us are complaining about the fact that we dine out less because the food's a little more expensive. Same with the local Indian place--little bit more expensive, but they know what gluten is.

The cheap Thai restaurant next door, however, has no idea what gluten is or if there's soy in something. It's a massive problem, and I don't eat there. Not anymore.

All you should need to hear are the stories of the others on this forum who have laundry lists of health problems in order to know that you should strive to be 100% gluten-free and not take risks.

Whenever I am jonesing for some Chinese, I go to PF Changs. Ok, not the most authentic, but will do in a pinch :ph34r:

All you should need to hear are the stories of the others on this forum who have laundry lists of health problems in order to know that you should strive to be 100% gluten-free and not take risks.

But...no need to need to live in a bubble either! Life is good, go find it! :D

And I love P.F. Changs

Closest PF Chang's, darn it, is two hours away in Greensboro. The only other option is to find a Chinese place where somebody is proficient in English and establish a relationship. I've also been to the local Japanese grill twice. I talked to the owner ahead of time and he was willing to use my soy sauce as long as I brought a whole table of eight people willing to eat the food with my sauce. He told me that he once tried going to a wheatless soy sauce, but regular customers complained that it didn't taste the same (he had not told them he had changed the soy sauce). The chef was actually impressed that I brought San-J tamari. This is very good stuff, he said.

richard