This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Tell Me About Fruit Issues (Esp. Pears)

munchkinette

munchkinette Collaborator

I totally thought my issue was and ingredient in my gluten-free breakfast muffins, but it happened again. I feel like I'm going to pass out from the abdominal pain. It could be a coincidence, but this is the second time in a row I've been in pain 1-2 hours after eating a pear. They weren't from the same grocery store. Can someone give me the short version of what problems people have with fruit? I've never really read a lot of those threads because I've never even suspected issues with it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Juliebove Rising Star

I can eat apples, pears, strawberries, cranberries, grapefruit, lemons, limes, and other berries with no problems. But melon? Oh my! The stomach pain is so horrible I can barely move. I'm not allergic. So I don't know what it is. Someone surmised it was sorbitol. I don't do well with that.

runningcrazy Contributor

I can eat apples, pears, strawberries, cranberries, grapefruit, lemons, limes, and other berries with no problems. But melon? Oh my! The stomach pain is so horrible I can barely move. I'm not allergic. So I don't know what it is. Someone surmised it was sorbitol. I don't do well with that.

Pears are really high in sorbitol. Thats strange about the whole fruits things ;)

munchkinette Collaborator

Pears are really high in sorbitol. Thats strange about the whole fruits things ;)

I didn't realize it was naturally occurring. I cut out gum a while back because I thought I was getting too much extra junk, including sweeteners.

• 2 months later...
chasbari Apprentice

I just searched and found this because I have been getting much worse the last month instead of that slow steady improvement I have been experiencing over the last 18 months. Horrible symptoms and I was getting that never ending hunger as well as various manifestations of D. Sunday night, after watching some videos on the new Dr. Osborne site I decided to cut out all fruit for a few days. I figured it would be terrible since it has been so much of my caloric intake. I am now into the second day of virtually no gas, bloating, D. Didn't realize how much my vision was being affected as well. Just in time as I have a trip to go on for the next several days. Nothing but meat and veggies for the trip, I guess. Oh, I am now satisfied and full after eating.. in fact, I can hardly make it through a full plate of food. Three days ago, when I would finish, I would head back in to the kitchen and graze on everything for a post meal meal that would leave me even hungrier that before the meal. I suppose I will try to reintroduce a fruit or two after a month or so to see if maybe it was an issue with one particular type or not. I know I have said nothing about pears but that's that FWIW.

Mack the Knife Explorer

I totally thought my issue was and ingredient in my gluten-free breakfast muffins, but it happened again. I feel like I'm going to pass out from the abdominal pain. It could be a coincidence, but this is the second time in a row I've been in pain 1-2 hours after eating a pear. They weren't from the same grocery store. Can someone give me the short version of what problems people have with fruit? I've never really read a lot of those threads because I've never even suspected issues with it.

Try googling Fructose Malabsorption.

Archived