BethM55

Increased Sensitivity To Gluten After Going Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

Hi, all. I'm just wondering if anyone has found that they are more sensitive to gluten and/or to other food allergens since going gluten free? Have you developed or discovered other food allegies after going gluten free?

I seem to be much more sensitive now, after 15 months of gluten-free living. I wonder about other foods, but haven't had the courage to test the hypothesis. "Just" being gluten free is enough of a challenge. I don't know how others who have multiple food allergies manage that challenge!

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Hi, all. I'm just wondering if anyone has found that they are more sensitive to gluten and/or to other food allergens since going gluten free? Have you developed or discovered other food allegies after going gluten free?

I seem to be much more sensitive now, after 15 months of gluten-free living. I wonder about other foods, but haven't had the courage to test the hypothesis. "Just" being gluten free is enough of a challenge. I don't know how others who have multiple food allergies manage that challenge!

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Oh yes, that can happen. I became more sensitive to smaller amounts of gluten as time went on--I'm just short of 5 years gluten-free. I also discovered that I was sensitive to other foods a few months after going on the diet. I'm still intolerant to legumes, tapioca, coconut, and soy--but have recently been able to successfully add dairy and corn back.

I think you'll find quite a lot of people in the forums who are not only gluten intolerant/Celiac, but also have a few other food intolerances.

I don't tolerate sugars well at all, and just the smell of corn makes me nauseous. I haven't tried to actually eat it though to find out if it's just my nose or a real intolerance! I can live quite happily without it, so I see no reason to chance it.

This happened to me. The only other food intolerance I noticed was to oats. Other things I could have in their whole form, but not if they were processed into flours or whatever. It seemed like it was tiny amounts of cc. It made it really difficult to figure out a diet, but I seem to be almost there now.