This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Burning From Food Allergies?

hannahp57

hannahp57 Contributor

I have a question for those of you with multiple allergies out there....

I work at a health food store and mostly help out new celiacs when i can with learning about the right food choices, reading labels, etc. This customer came in today and said his symptoms include mouth burning, hot/cold chills, skin rash (looks like DH to me) and gastric symptoms such as getting ill after eating, constipation and then loose stools. He said he has been tested for common food allergies and non have thrown any red flags. To me this sounds like a food allergy/sensitivity. My question for those with multiple allergies is have any of you ever had the mouth burning sensation. All the other symptoms match my symptoms and my sister's(who is also celiac) except for the burning sensation. and this just struck me as strange. any input is appreciated as i have no idea about this and even though i will probably not see this customer again, it definitely has me curious

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

buffettbride Enthusiast

How interesting that this comes up--- My daughter's 5th grade teacher had something called oral allergy syndrome and her mouth would burn when she ate raw fruits and vegetables. Cooked--fine. Raw--bad news.

jackay Enthusiast

A friend of mine has oral allergies to fresh fruits. She opted to go with allergy shots and has gotten much better.

hannahp57 Contributor

wow do you think it could have something to do with the things they use when growing frush fruits and veggies? like pesticides or something? that is something i have never heard of. i never would have thought of that

Guest doradomiel

I've definitely have had an oral irritation to gluten. The glands under my tongue get this "pins and needles" kind of pain that drives me nuts.

jerseyangel Proficient

One of my Celiac symptoms was feelings of burning--in my mouth, on the soles of my feet, and at times I felt like my face was literally on fire. My skin would get hot to the touch--but not red. This was not a result of a fever--it would happen randomly.

After I went gluten-free, it subsided and hasn't happened in years now. It took probably a year-18 months to go completely away.

• 1 year later...
JENNI WEBBY Newbie

I work at a health food store and mostly help out new celiacs when i can with learning about the right food choices, reading labels, etc. This customer came in today and said his symptoms include mouth burning, hot/cold chills, skin rash (looks like DH to me) and gastric symptoms such as getting ill after eating, constipation and then loose stools. He said he has been tested for common food allergies and non have thrown any red flags. To me this sounds like a food allergy/sensitivity. My question for those with multiple allergies is have any of you ever had the mouth burning sensation. All the other symptoms match my symptoms and my sister's(who is also celiac) except for the burning sensation. and this just struck me as strange. any input is appreciated as i have no idea about this and even though i will probably not see this customer again, it definitely has me curious

Yes, I have Celiac, and Burning Mouth Syndrome.. I'm starting to notice that maybe they walk hand in hand.. I only started the Gluten Free Diet 3 days ago, but my burning mouth is better already.. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shadowicewolf Proficient

i had that issue with some antibiotics and red food coloring :( its not fun.

collgwg Contributor

i think i am allergic to soy

every time i eat or drink soy i have almost like a chemical burn in my throat along with a rash and various other symptoms

• 5 years later...
clutchlee Rookie

I am new here, undiagnosed, and have the Burning Mouth Syndrome, especially after eating....anything.  I also have fatigue, rash, loose stools, and blurry vision (also after eating).  The above posts make me think that I should definitely consider food allergies and/or Celiac as the next steps in getting answers.  Current docs do not have a clue!!

• 7 months later...
at1992 Apprentice
On 4/10/2010 at 6:36 PM, hannahp57 said:

I have not been diagnosed Celiac yet, but when I do gluten challenges, my mouth will chronically burn. It feels like a sunburn in my mouth! My tongue will also get chronically swollen and inflamed and will sort of peel off (similar to glossitis migrans) and I will also get aphthous ulcers at the same time. When I go gluten free, the mouth burning goes away. 

Archived