ricefreejane

Allergic To Gluten Free Products

Rate this topic

Has anyone else notice that they get a bad reaction to so called gluten free products that contain rice flour or maize (cornflour). Even tapioca sets me off.

Off to dietician at Dr.s today and I hope she is going to skin test me. My grandmother was a celiac and my mother had what was diagnosed as IBS. I have hashimoto's disease (underactive thyroid) and apparently it's common for folks like us to have allergies to gluten and dairy (which I have) but this reaction to rice/rice flour and maize/cornflour is driving me nuts (no pun intended). Is this common or is it just me?

There seems to be a small percentage of us, myself included, that react even to gluten free food. I can eat rice and corn on their own when I wash them first. I can eat their flours when I grind it myself, but not in processed gluten free foods. I do a lot of cooking from scratch.

There seems to be a small percentage of us, myself included, that react even to gluten free food. I can eat rice and corn on their own when I wash them first. I can eat their flours when I grind it myself, but not in processed gluten free foods. I do a lot of cooking from scratch.

When my body is irritated,I cannot tolerate gluten free baking mixes with tapioca flour, at all.Even on good days, I can't eat much of it without a reaction.But I can eat yucca,the plant it comes from,with no problem.Weirdness.

Thanks for that. it would be very interesting to know what percentage of celiacs have this intolerence so if there's anyone else out there with this allergy please post. After meeting with the dietician my GP has decided to send me to London (probably) to an allergy clinic as his dietician can only devote a half hour slot to me per appointment on the NHS and apparently a proper clinic at a hospital can do a two hour consultation. Ho hum! We shall see.

I don't know how long it's been since you were diagnosed but I've seen many of the "elders" (in knowledge) of this forum suggest eliminating all grains for the first 6 mos. or year, until your body has had a chance to heal. Perhaps you can do a search for more information related to this.

Hi! My daughter who was diagnosed celiac and I (who hasn't had blood tests yet) both ate corn pasta and both had a stomach ache that night.It was like a pit of the stomach ache though, not really intestinal. Almost like an ulcer pain,or gastritis, which I seem to get a couple of times a year. The rice pasta doesn't bother us but the corn, it was like too heavy and harsh? Is that what you mean?

Yes but I get very sleepy and disorientated also if I have any kind of grain including rice, rice flour, corn, corn pasta, any chutney or sauce with cornflour plus intestinal pain. And it can take days to feel right again. But I only discovered this after I had eliminated wheat, oats, rye, barley, spelt, quinoa etc. from my diet.

Those are just a few of the things I was intolerant to. After 8 months gluten free. most have resolved.