Lycopene

Severe Sleeping Issues/depression?

Rate this topic

A lot of stuff has happened since I've started gluten-free dieting. I was doing it on and off for roughly a year, but then about 1.5 months ago I ACTUALLY kicked gluten entirely. But at the EXACT same time my fiancee left me. I know that ridding yourself of gluten can be stressing.

But all this crap that's going on is seriously messing with me. I'm glad she's gone now (just a month and a half later) but I still miss the closeness and all. But then I'm incorporating gluten into that too. I miss the "closeness" of that as well.

Basically, I'm getting... 1~3 hours of sleep a night. I wake up constantly throughout and stay awake in a "trance" type thing for a while before actually getting back to sleep, and it's not restorative at all. I'm constantly tired and my dad is actually getting irritated at me for it. I'm... sort of at a loss about it. I'm seriously depressed and I dunno. I've NEVER been depressed before. I'm always a happy guy. ALWAYSSS. So this is just an odd feeling for me and I really don't know how to explain it.

I was with my fiancee for about 2.5 years. I loved her. I still do, but not in the same way. I'm happy she's gone but I'm not at the same time... bah. I just really want to stop feeling depressed. I know the whole gluten free thing isn't helping emotionally (while it is helping physically. Other than the depression and complete lack of energy, I've NEVER felt this healthy in my life) but I just want to know how long until it gets better?

If I wasn't doing this whole gluten-free diet, I know I wouldn't be as depressed about her. I'd be over it. But then you have to add my dad into the whole mix... he's trying to forcefully rush me into feeling better and it's just not working. Constantly getting angry with me because I'm so tired. Like, I didn't want to go shopping for pants today because I was too tired after a trip to Seattle. "You didn't wake up until noon!" Yeah well... not like that sleep helped at all.

And it definitely doesn't help when you take a trip to Uwajimaya with your gluten eating brother and sister and they get takoyaki and udon and all that other good stuff that I can't eat but oh so wish I could. I can basically taste with smells now... but it's not good enough. Sigh. Haha. Depressing not being able to eat my favorite foods.... ahhhhh. I LOVE Japanese food so much...

Anyway. I'm sorry this was so long. I just don't know who else to turn to. ): Sort of in a rut right now and I neeeeed out of it.

Thank you though, guys. (: That was my rant.

Find some sublingual vitamin B12. Celiacs are notoriously lacking vitamin B 12. You can research Pernicious Anemia for more connection information.

There is a blood sugar link/issue with starting a gluten free diet. Whole grains in a diet are said to keep your blood sugar "stable", and that is exactly what gets cut when you start the diet.

There is a known "withdrawal" effect of starting a gluten free diet. For some individuals there is an opiate like reaction in the brain when they consume gluten.

The break up is just very insult to injury. You were engaged and this person should have been there to support you. If the relationship didn't last through this, it's a good thing it's over. (I'll tell you there are so many things that come along in life that are worse! This is just a big change. You will adjust to a new lifestyle.)

If there are foods that you like, you learn how to make them gluten free. :) Check past posts for products that people like and are gluten free.

You are going to be fine and everyone has to go through this "grieving" stage.

Yeah, she was a liar and it's a very good thing it's over. It's just the whole missing the closeness thing along with the gluten-free diet. Hmm. I will definitely look into some B12 though. Thank you. :)

I just hope the "grieving" stage ends soon. I've honestly never felt this way before and I don't like it. Bleh. I want to sleep but I just CAN'T.

Yeah, she was a liar and it's a very good thing it's over. It's just the whole missing the closeness thing along with the gluten-free diet. Hmm. I will definitely look into some B12 though. Thank you. smile.gif

I just hope the "grieving" stage ends soon. I've honestly never felt this way before and I don't like it. Bleh. I want to sleep but I just CAN'T.

It is time to start living life on your own terms at this point. YOUR HEALTH!

After I went thru my withdrawls, I had sleep issues but in the way that I would sleep for 4 hours and be wide awake after that! I stopped drinking caffeine after 1pm - and had a drink or two after 6pm to help me sleep....then added some milk to settle things. I also went to a 1/2 pill of a PM formula aspirin....and I found it didn't hurt me to do so.

My doctor put me on B-Complex vitamins and 1000IU of Vitamin D with a multi vitamin. No gluten.

It took me a while to understand it, but I went for the whole foods first. (Learn to cook Lycopene) and I'll bet no one will be able to tell the difference!

I made Chicken and wild rice soup at first with salads (Herb-ox bouillon and Bolthouse dressings)

Then I marinated chicken for the grilled chicken caesars with LaChoy soy sauce, oil,lime and italian seasoning (McCormick)

I then added gluten-free pasta with Classico pasta sauces.

You will also find your appettite diminishing and your mental state clearer!

It DOES get better and before you know it, You'll be back on a positive (I can do anything) track!

I even get very picky about relationships now!

Accept it or see ya!

But in the same aspect, if they don't want to be healthy with me for the benefit of their health, then it's SEE YA!

My health and life is tough enough to deal with - don't need someone long term working against me either!

Empower yourself and I'll bet soon enough, you'll be better than before!

Hugs and Love!

Tena

Yeah, I definitely know how to cook, which is a good thing lol. I'd be doomed otherwise. :P

I do need to start taking vitamins though. Ahhh... I'm just getting annoyed. I'm depressed and I know it. I hate that. My dad keeps getting mad at me and he's not understanding about this at all. Sigh. =.=

hi,

my husbands favorite saying is "don't let it bother you" i hate when he says it to me. my mother-in-law and my parents are always on my back of this gluten free living cause i haven't been diagnosed fully and they think it's all in my head but i feel a little better on this diet.

so as my husband would say to me "don't let it bother you"

i try so you should try to and it's really hard i know but try it's all we can do. from reading on here it will get better. they promise. lol

mia :)

Lycopene, it's only been a month and a half since you went completely gluten free, so you're still healing, and that's going to take a while. Perhaps months even. But every day you will feel better. A little bit.

One thing to keep in mind is you may want to just stay away from packaged and manufactured foods entirely for a few months at least. Whole, natural foods are best for while your body is healing. They will also help you deal with the stress of your break-up (believe me I understand that, my divorce was just final last week, and I'm stuck still living with my ex until I can move back home!)

Also, take some vitimin and mineral supplements. Someone already suggesed the B12, which will help with the stress. But find a good quality mega-dose gluten free multi-vitimin. That will also help.

Don't be afraid to see a doctor if the depression and insomnia continues. Insomnia will only add to your stress, both physical and emotional. There are natural remedies for sleep, (valerian, malatonin, VitD, are a few) but if they don't work, maybe a short term prescription could help.

I know it's hard, and all of it all at once makes it harder. But it'll get better every day.

I read your post, and I was like, OMG...did I write that????? It is exactly my story!!!! My boyfriend couldn't stand my being sick all the time, the relationship wasn't about him anymore, so he cheated first, then left :( I cried for two weeks straight....didn't go to work, didn't eat....lost 35 pounds.....in retrospect..only some of the grieving was for him, most of it was for the Olive Garden, and how I can't eat there anymore :( My mom came to visit, cleaned my apartment, took me shopping for a gluten free cookbook and groceries, we cooked, we stocked the freezer, I got a dog.....(no one likes sleeping alone)..and now, six months later...I look great....I feel great....and life is only getting better each day!

@Reba32

Yeah, I agree. I've been having some packaged manufactured foods... but I need to cut back on those. While I feel healthy, I think I've been glutened a few times. I need to look into it more and figure out a diet plan. Now I'm just winging it and eating what I can when I can heh.

I'm sorry to hear about your divorce though... I really hope you can move back home soon. =/

About vitamins. Do you, or anyone else, have any recommendations on a gluten free multivitamin? I really need to start those and keep on it. I've been bad with vitamins in the past, but I have to make a whole lifestyle change and fix it.

Thank you very much, Reba!

@kaki_clam

I'm so sorry to hear that. x_x That must have been horrible. D: But yeah, I know what you mean. I was sick for the entirety of our relationship. Right as soon as I start to get better she decides to leave me. Greeeat. Just not helping.

I finally told my dad how I'm feeling, he just said "Well I told you to stop being depressed, but you didn't listen to me!"

Like I can just turn it off... sigh. It's just annoying. I'm moving though. Thankfully. I'm 20 years old, going to be 21 in September, I don't need to deal with his crap if he's going to be like that. Bah!

Oh honey, you need to give yourself time to grieve. That's a huge breakup, even if it is for the best. My first husband was an abusive maniac, but I still felt like I was losing my right arm when I divorced him after 3 years of marriage. It was the best thing for me but it still hurt like hell.

You are also so new to the diet and that grieving takes time too. Honor your grieving process for both things and you'll process it better.

When I get glutened I get depressed. I hate it.

I have insomnia too. Benadryl helps me sleep, although it's midnight and I'm posting here because it hasn't kicked in yet.

My best friend dumped me after my diagnosis. She just didn't want to deal with all of the grief and sadness so she blew me off and dumped me as a friend. That really made recovery so much harder.

Ugh... That is SO TERRIBLE! I can't believe your friend would do that... unbelievable!

I'm moving to Georgia to be with a friend... he's SO nice. He's really caring and kind. Glad to finally be around that.

I'm glad to hear that you got out of that relationship though. Sigh, some people are just messed up.

Medicines don't usually help me. I dunno. I might have to get a prescription something if it continues. I've been laying in bed for about 3 hours... no sleep. Going on 2 hours now. So weird. I hope it kicks in for you soon though and you can get some sleep! Sleep well when you do.

Thank you though, for all the kind words. I'll keep trying. (= It'll get better with every passing day, I'm sure.

Ugh... That is SO TERRIBLE! I can't believe your friend would do that... unbelievable!

I'm moving to Georgia to be with a friend... he's SO nice. He's really caring and kind. Glad to finally be around that.

I'm glad to hear that you got out of that relationship though. Sigh, some people are just messed up.

Medicines don't usually help me. I dunno. I might have to get a prescription something if it continues. I've been laying in bed for about 3 hours... no sleep. Going on 2 hours now. So weird. I hope it kicks in for you soon though and you can get some sleep! Sleep well when you do.

Thank you though, for all the kind words. I'll keep trying. (= It'll get better with every passing day, I'm sure.

Lycopene,

It's been a month since you started this thread, so don't know if your insomnia has resolved or not. I had increasingly severe problems with it until I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease two years ago. At the time, the doctor who diagnosed me made several recommendations to address it. First, no caffeine, at all. Second, nutrient deficiency messes up everything in your body, including sleep regulators. My doctor recommended taking calcium+magnesium supplements a few hours before bedtime. You will also want to pair that with Vitamin D to help absorb the calcium. She also recommended having a cup of camomile tea an hour before bedtime, too.

Another thing I did that made a significant difference immediately was to download all episodes of "The Meditation Podcast" from iTunes onto my iPod. It is guided visualization with binaural beats, so you must wear headphones. Several episodes are outstanding, but my favorite is "Falling Asleep." The binaural beats underneath the meditation and music bring your brainwaves into sleep mode. The first time I tried it, I was out like a light. It is only 20 minutes long, but it was weeks before found out how the meditation ends. This was an invaluable bridge to use until my body began to heal and my body chemistry began to normalize. I still keep my iPod by my bed so I can plug in on those nights when I can't sleep. They also do some excellent episodes on healing.

Good luck, and hang in! Things will get better.

I read your post, and I was like, OMG...did I write that????? It is exactly my story!!!! My boyfriend couldn't stand my being sick all the time, the relationship wasn't about him anymore, so he cheated first, then left :( I cried for two weeks straight....didn't go to work, didn't eat....lost 35 pounds.....in retrospect..only some of the grieving was for him, most of it was for the Olive Garden, and how I can't eat there anymore :( My mom came to visit, cleaned my apartment, took me shopping for a gluten free cookbook and groceries, we cooked, we stocked the freezer, I got a dog.....(no one likes sleeping alone)..and now, six months later...I look great....I feel great....and life is only getting better each day!

Wow, what a great Mom!