modifiedbeauty

Cravings For Glutenous Foods?

Rate this topic

Background: I've been gluten intolerant for four years, came up positive for DQ8 gene at that time but negative blood panel/endoscopy. My latest one, just on April 14th of this year, was positive blood panel/endoscopy. So I've been living gluten free for YEARS.

However, last night I had a dream that I was eating a really cheesy, gooey, glutenous delivery pizza from Toppers, and a couple of my friends are being really rude, either saying I'm crazy or saying "It's not that big a deal." It is to me! It's a huge life change! And then my own sister said "One slice can't hurt, just eat one."

Um, YES IT CAN. I spared her the details, of course, but yes, it DOES hurt. And I do know there are gluten-free ways to make pizza, but I crave the glutenous ones.

Has anyone else here had really random cravings for glutenous foods? So far I'm the only one in my "circle" that has tested positive for this, or even lives gluten-free, so it's tough.

A big, juicy, greasy, bacon cheeseburger, with fries with gravy, ketchup and malt vinegar; or a Harvey's hamburger and frings; or poutine; or Swiss Chalet quarter chicken white with fries; Toronto Mandarin Chinese restaurant lemon chicken and their egg rolls; Tim Horton Bavarian cream filled donuts; a pizza with extra cheese, mushrooms and anchovies...*sigh*

Tim Horton (Timmy's <3 ) has THE BEST COFFEE IN THE WORLD. Whenever I would go to Toronto I would ALWAYSSS go there. Haha...

But me, now, the main thing I crave (lol get it?) is White Castle... I have no idea. I LOVE those cheeseburgers for some reason... I usually hate fatty foods, but I just LOVE them. Sorta sad I'll never taste that unique flavor ever again. Heh.

You know, I don't so much have cravings for specific foods so much as a longing to walk into a restaurant and order whatever I want without thinking about it. Although the prospect of never again being able to order fries in a restaurant is deeply disheartening. I love fries.

Has anyone else here had really random cravings for glutenous foods? So far I'm the only one in my "circle" that has tested positive for this, or even lives gluten-free, so it's tough.

Three specific items run in rotation in the back of my head. To my irritation? Not even particularly GOOD items when I COULD eat them. (I mean, come on. If I had hard core cravings for my mom's stroganoff or my gram's homemade noodles I would understand. THESE things? Just weird.

1) A slice of pizza from the mall. Yeah, I know. Mall pizza. Didn't really like it than... now if I have to go to the mall I'm nearly drooling at the smell. (Luckily, I hate the mall!)

2) Long John Silver's chicken planks. Food no one over the age of 19 should eat sober. Food no one over the age of 24 should eat drunk. Still. The yearning hits at random moments.

3) Dried Beef Gravy on Toast. (Known better to the military folks as SOS or... um. "Stuff" on a shingle.) A milk gravy over toast. No idea why. Just sounds amazing.

The cravings are there - but so far I've managed to ignore them. I don't think it's so much the actual food really, but more the idea of not having to screw around and cook, or plan, or even really THINK about a quick meal. I didn't eat that much fast food BEFORE celiac... but now that I can't, well. I want it. Often.

Sorry folks are being twerps about it.

Glutenous pizza would be heavenly! It smells soooooo goood!!!

Oh sure - a good thick-crust pizza, a fresh out of the oven cinnamon roll (no, gluten free is not the same), or a freshly baked sourdough with butter. But none of the cravings are that intense, and I can find something else to eat (not even always a replacement, but something totally different that I also enjoy - yay for strawberry season!).

I crave a pizza too, and every now and then I think about a chicken sandwich from Burger King, why I don't know. But I agree with the comment that what I miss most is the options. I miss being able to order anything I want, wherever I want and not think twice about it. I miss the options more than anything.

I still have cravings 4 years later. I've noticed they happen more when I'm sick. I've been able to find safe versions of most things but the two that are still really really hard for me are 1) goldfish crackers 2) ravioli. I found some frozen ravioli but they are super expensive to ship, someday.

Most other foods if I want them bad enough I figure it out. And I've found that I crave the gluteny texture less and less. For the most part when I see gluteny foods I think about the pain more than the taste.

I am very new to this gluten free diet. I had never even heard of celiac disease before the doctor told me I had tested positive for it 6 months ago.

I have cravings for things I didn't even enjoy before the diagnosis. Hotdogs, Kraft Dinner, fries and gravy, to mention a few. I often feel so sorry for myself that I am brought to tears. Pathetic, I know, but how to get over those feelings.

Go to Red Robin for the french fries. You can even check McDonalds to see if they have a dedicated fryer. If they do then they're gluten-free too.

I prefer Red Robin, but yeah. Just make sure you say no seasoning salt. Just regular table salt. (=