This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Addiction

jenngolightly

jenngolightly Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I decided to quit eating chocolate. It was really getting out of hand. I was craving chocolate so much that I would get distracted around 3pm if I didn't have some m&ms. I couldn't work. I'd hunt them down if I didn't bring them to work with me.

Then I'd need more at home.

I realized it was more than a craving and I needed to quit. So I thought I'd quit cold turkey and see what would happen. I thought, "Hey, it's only candy. It can't be that hard."

So I quit on Tuesday, April 13th. It wasn't too hard the first day. I replaced chocolate with Welches Fruit Snacks. They're not so bad, right? :P Second day - not to bad. Third. That day was pretty hard. Day 3-7 were tough and I had to get through it an hour at a time. Dumb, right? Then day 8 - tough! Day 9 was terrible. I cracked on day 10. I was so irritable and my body was shaky. I was pathetic.

It's been four days since I went back on chocolate and I feel great again. No more physical issues. I can work and I'm not shaky.

I can't believe it. I'm addicted to chocolate!

What do I do now? I feel like I'm mentally able to quit, but physically I'm a wreck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hollyres Explorer

You are not crazy! It's totally true. I tried the same thing last summer with sugar (obviously including chocolate). OMG!!! Same thing - first day was not so bad, but by the third day my head was pounding so hard I had to eat some. It was a violent experience. I think about my need to quit almost daily, but feel helpless. I guess it is like any detox. We would need to fight through the hardest days and come out the other side.

ciavyn Contributor

Same thing here. But with all the food issues I have and everything else I've given up, I'm not giving up chocolate or caffeine. I try to moderate my intake, so as to keep it at normal levels. But give them up? Not on this side of icicles in H-E-double-hockey-sticks.

I'm going to try it again starting today.

irish daveyboy Community Regular

I can't believe it. I'm addicted to chocolate!

What do I do now? I feel like I'm mentally able to quit, but physically I'm a wreck.

Here's something for you to read. Open Original Shared Link

Best Regards,

David

Swimmr Contributor

I buy Enjoy Life chocolate chips or the dark chocolate bars.

They taste AWESOME and only have three ingredients :) They're allergen free.

I can't fight the chocolate cravings either. Especially during "that time"

I buy Enjoy Life chocolate chips or the dark chocolate bars.

They taste AWESOME and only have three ingredients :) They're allergen free.

I can't fight the chocolate cravings either. Especially during "that time"

Where do you buy Enjoy Life? I fell right off the wagon the other day. :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Swimmr Contributor

Where do you buy Enjoy Life? I fell right off the wagon the other day. :-)

I get them from my local food store that sells organic/gluten free items...it's called The Apple Crate. However any whole foods should have it and I'm pretty sure the Enjoy Life website has a store locator so you can find a local store near you that carries it.

• 1 year later...
share0810 Newbie

I also have celiac disease and have gained alot of weight for several reasons. I know I can make better choices that are Gluten free and I don't eat Gluten free products etc since they are so high in calories etc., My problem has been a severe horrible addiction to white chocolate. Bliss white chocolate to be specific. I told my husband about it (food addicition) and we actually sat down today and loaded Weight Watchers online and to my Itouch they have Many gluten free references etc.,. He will be with me weekly to get weighed and see how I am progressing and I can only hope that this is the turn around for me. Oh by the way never bothered to see if the Bliss white chocolate is Gluten free didn't care and my triggers to get sick are always gluten but can be other things at times. So I can only say that I hope that I am at a new beginning and can take this 60lb weight gain off soon.

Archived