This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Naan Bread!

AlysounRI

AlysounRI Contributor

Hi All:

I must share this triumph.

I made successful gluten-free naan bread today. I left it under the broiler for a minute too long and it got too

dark on top but it's not burned through. It's not as flexible and wheat naan bread but it's an amazing version of it. I took the recipe from Carol Fenster's 1,000 gluten-free Recipes and it worked.

I couldn't believe it, I did scream out of joy!!

I took a picture of it I was so damn proud!!

Open Original Shared Link

I had it with the lamb pasanda I made today and the basmati rice.

I am going to have my own mint sauce now, too.

The mint sauce I used to get, Burgess mint sauce, is no longer being carried in stores near me.

I ended up ordering 6 jars from a British food importer today. They only had two jars in stock and offered to sub 4 of Duerr's for me.

But Duerr's and Colmans both have malt vinegar in them and I can't do that. He was kind enough to look at the jar of Burgess after I explained why

I could not have those and we discovered that Burgess has changed their recipe and they are now putting malt vinegar in theirs. He was very kind

and I was the third caller this morning asking about gluten free products so he made a web page for their gluten-free items. He was a lovely man and very helpful.

I now have a jar of Allison's mint sauce and the fridge. It's not hard to make. It's boiled vinegar (just not the malt kind, I used white vinegar), salt and sugar poured over ground up mint leaves and stems, why waste, they are minty too, eh?

If anyone would like me to type out the recipe for the Fenster's naan bread and the mint sauce let me know, I am happy to share.

My main cooking is Indian because I love it, it's pretty much safe, and it makes me feel strong and happy, and naan bread was the bread that I missed the most. I am soooooooooooooooooooo happy that I can eat northern Indian recipes they way they should be eaten now, with gluten-free naan bread.

It's been such a nice day!!

~Allison

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

gary'sgirl Explorer

Hi All:

I must share this triumph.

I made successful gluten-free naan bread today. I left it under the broiler for a minute too long and it got too

dark on top but it's not burned through. It's not as flexible and wheat naan bread but it's an amazing version of it. I took the recipe from Carol Fenster's 1,000 gluten-free Recipes and it worked.

I couldn't believe it, I did scream out of joy!!

I took a picture of it I was so damn proud!!

Open Original Shared Link

I had it with the lamb pasanda I made today and the basmati rice.

I am going to have my own mint sauce now, too.

The mint sauce I used to get, Burgess mint sauce, is no longer being carried in stores near me.

I ended up ordering 6 jars from a British food importer today. They only had two jars in stock and offered to sub 4 of Duerr's for me.

But Duerr's and Colmans both have malt vinegar in them and I can't do that. He was kind enough to look at the jar of Burgess after I explained why

I could not have those and we discovered that Burgess has changed their recipe and they are now putting malt vinegar in theirs. He was very kind

and I was the third caller this morning asking about gluten free products so he made a web page for their gluten-free items. He was a lovely man and very helpful.

I now have a jar of Allison's mint sauce and the fridge. It's not hard to make. It's boiled vinegar (just not the malt kind, I used white vinegar), salt and sugar poured over ground up mint leaves and stems, why waste, they are minty too, eh?

If anyone would like me to type out the recipe for the Fenster's naan bread and the mint sauce let me know, I am happy to share.

My main cooking is Indian because I love it, it's pretty much safe, and it makes me feel strong and happy, and naan bread was the bread that I missed the most. I am soooooooooooooooooooo happy that I can eat northern Indian recipes they way they should be eaten now, with gluten-free naan bread.

It's been such a nice day!!

~Allison

I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind typing it up. I looked at the picture and it looks wonderful!

~Sarah

AlysounRI Contributor

I would love the recipe if you wouldn't mind typing it up. I looked at the picture and it looks wonderful!

Hi Sarah:

Here you go:

Ingredients:

1 packet or 2 and 1/4 tsp instant dry yeast

1 tsp sugar

1/2 cup warm (110 F.) milk (I used almond milk cause I try and stay away from milk)

1/2 cup white rice flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)

1/2 tsp xanthan gum

1/2 tsp guar gum

1/4 plain yoghurt (I use Fage 2% greek yoghurt)

1/4 cup (half stick) unsalted butter softened, or butter spread at room temperature

Garlic (optional to taste)

White rice flour in a salt shaker

Cooking spray

Ghee (optional)

Spray bottle with water

Preparation:

NOTE: DO NOT preheat oven.

1-Warm up the milk to 110 F.

Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the milk

Set aside to foam for about 5 minutes

She requests that you do not use a non-stick baking sheet (10 x 15).

I have a non-stick one, so I put a sheet of parchment paper on the cookie sheet and liberally slathered ghee on the parchment paper.

2-In a food processor combine the white rice flour, potato starch, salt, onion powder, garlic, xanthan gum, guar gum, yoghurt and butter.

When well mixed, transfer the milk/sugar/yeast mixture to the food processor and pulse until well mixed.

The dough will be soft not like cake batter.

Use an ice cream scoop or a large spoon to spoon out 4 (I like them at the size they turn out to be at 4 pieces, she suggests six)

evenly placed balls of dough on the ghee'd parcement paper.

3-Generously sprinkle each dough ball with white rice flour from the salt shaker.

Using your fingers, flatten the dough out to a teardrop shape.

Brush each naan with ghee or spreay with cooking spray.

You can put more crushed garlic on top like I did, if you like.

Place the cookie sheet on the lowest rack in a COLD OVEN.

Set oven to 400 F.

Bake 5-7 minutes, continuing to spray the naan every two minutes with some water.

4- Lift up the naan with a flat instrument and see if they are cooked on the bottom.

Then you will need to cook them from the top using the broiler.

Broil approx. 5 minutes or less or until golden brown spots appear on each of the naan.

Remove from the broiler and cool for one minute on a rack.

Serve immediately.

You can wrap these up in a plastic bag and they will reheat on a baking sheet in an oven for 2-3 minutes on 350 F.

It's a detailed recipe and it's not something that you can leave and cook. You kind of need to be there to babysit the naan.

Your devoted attention will produce a piece of naan that is really lovely to eat and is a very good replacement for wheat-based naan bread.

If any of you choose to make this, let me know how it came out. I will probably make some more next weekend.

The next batch will hopefully turn out better.

~Allison

MagpieWrites Rookie

That looks and sounds just amazing. I've been tip-toeing towards Indian food for a while now (the husband LOVES Indian) and this may just be what knocks me off the fence.

Who am I kidding, I'm sold. Soon as I can get rid of my pesky houseguests (they of the "You aren't still doing that weird gluten free crap, right?" and "but, what are you feeding US... cause WE'RE not eating weird stuff." fame. Sigh.) I'm mixing up a batch of this.

Hmmm... I think I even have the stuff for some chicken Rogan Josh.

Mskedi Newbie

Wow! Those look good! I have all those ingredients on hand right now... I just may try it tomorrow. :)

I wonder if it could be par-baked and then frozen... hmm...

AlysounRI Contributor

That looks and sounds just amazing. I've been tip-toeing towards Indian food for a while now (the husband LOVES Indian) and this may just be what knocks me off the fence.

Indian is actually easy to do at home.

IMHO, it's the best cuisine in the world and the world is never a better place than after an Indian meal.

You need a few things on hand for cooking it, however.

You need a big heavy sauce pan that can handle a lot of heat as you are often adding water and leaving it to cook down for about 45 mins.

You need a separate grinder for spices though some seeds are more easily and better crushed with a mortar and pestle.

You need onions and garlic and mild green chillis and ginger and cilantro and yoghurt, preferably the think Greek stuff, in your home at all times cause most every Indian recipe uses these things.

Then you need all the whole spices on hand in airtight jars ready to be ground and used fresh. Freshly ground spices are far more aromatic.

You don't need to have ghee on hand but it does work best for the bread.

Most Indian recipes start with vegetable oil, corn oil or olive oil. I prefer to use vegetable oil or olive oil - I don't like corn oil for some reason.

As for freezing the bread, why not try it, but I would try it when it was fully cooked, not partially cooked.

The dough does not come out like cake batter, so I would say possibly freeze the dough or freeze the finished bread maybe?

But I don't know if the yeast would get old and they wouldn't rise anymore either.

Try it, maybe and see if it works and then let me know if it works!!

A&Z'S MOM Apprentice

would u consider starting a thread on indian recipes here...i have had my share of successes with desserts etc..like Ras Malaai and jilaibi etc....so would love to contribute too...we could share our experiences...its an idea..what do u think??? after all this forum has been a starting point for many celiacs..and many of them do the indian food too.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MoodyJulz Newbie

how do you purchase your flours in bulk from bins or do you only buy them pre packaged labled gluten free? i normally shop at wholefoods but they dont carry all the flours i need in my cook books labled gluten-free

AlysounRI Contributor

how do you purchase your flours in bulk from bins or do you only buy them pre packaged labled gluten free? i normally shop at wholefoods but they dont carry all the flours i need in my cook books labled gluten-free

I don't buy them in bulk. I usually get packages of them, either Bob's Red Mill or Arowhead Mills and keep them all in the freezer. I usually find everything at my local health food store but I can find them also at several grocery stores nearby. However my local health food store carries them all.

A&Z, I will start an Indian food thread for you. I hope we can share ideas and recipes there. It really is the best cuisine in the world.

~Allison

A&Z'S MOM Apprentice

A&Z, I will start an Indian food thread for you. I hope we can share ideas and recipes there. It really is the best cuisine in the world.

~Allison

• 2 weeks later...
radiantrapunzel1 Rookie

The naan recipe was WONDERFUL! Very tasty indeed. Thank you for posting!

AlysounRI Contributor

The naan recipe was WONDERFUL! Very tasty indeed. Thank you for posting!

I am so happy that you made it also.

I made another batch - and froze it.

I hope it will keep in the freezer for a bit.

~Allison

Becks85 Rookie

This looks yummy :) I've been craving naan bread for a long time. Thanks for posting the recipe. I can't wait to try it!

Archived