conniebky

I Got Glutened

Rate this topic

so, my family met at mom's tonight for supper. We all got talking for so long that we ordered Chinese food. Then I thought, oh man, I don't even know if I can eat chinese food. My daughter said, "isn't gluten the stuff that makes the rice sticky?"

That's all I needed to hear, be it true or not, so I made a burger on a plate with Morton's Lite Salt and Heinz ketchup. And sure enough, dizziness, feet felt funny, tunnel vision, stomach cramps. I've looked up the salt and ketchup online and they both say gluten free but I don't believe that for a minute. I had a glass of ginger ale, but that's it.

I know you all have said that I'm so new to being gluten-free that I can react to anything this early in the game, but I was so proud of myself for smelling and seeing all that beautiful chinese food and not even wanting it, and I ended up with a reaction anyway. Childish, I know, but I just don't understand why that happened.

I was just starting to feel that horrid feeling come over me, told myself, breathe and act normal, and just then my daughter goes, "oh wow mom, you're a funny color"....

any ideas?

Your daughter was probably thinking of glutinous rice (also known as sweet rice or sticky rice) but despite its name it is actually gluten free.

However, Chinese food uses a lot of soy sauce which is usually not gluten free. I generally stay well away from Chinese food unless it is from one of the very few places that cater properly for Coeliacs.

Indian, Vietnamese and Thai foods are predominantly gluten free cuisines (as long as you avoid most of the deep fried stuff, breads and desserts) and are much better options if you want Asian food.

You probably reacted to a pan, utensil, cutting board or some such that was harboring hidden gluten. That is one of the hazards in a gluteny household. I hope it passes for you quickly.

You did the right thing not eating the Chinese food. As Mack the Knife said, almost all kinds of soy sauce have gluten in them. Oyster sauce often does too. If there is a P.F. Chang in your area, that's a celiac safe option.

I was informed here after an unexpected glutening that Thai is not consistently safe. A lot of American Thai restaurants use soy sauce or oyster sauce, both of which usually have wheat. Apparently not even all fish sauce is safe. Another person mentioned asking to see the box of rice noodles, and there was wheat starch in them.

As for what you did eat, Heinz is fine as is salt. I'm quite sensitive and eat Heinz all the time. Ginger ale should be OK. Any chance the ground beef in your burger was "off"? Remember that not every single reaction you experience from food is necessarily gluten. A lot of people around here lose sight of that.

I agree about the cross contamination issues causing problems. If the hamburger you cooked was not just beef but a pre-made pattie it could be a problem with additives. I have not researched ginger ale but I have found that some orange soda and root beer are not gluten free. Check the brand name and email the company about the ginger ale.

My rule of thumb for Chinese take out. Only order items in white sauce, nothing breaded and no fried rice. One lady I know orders veggies and shrimp with no sauce at all and is happy. And ask the place when you call. More places are adding gluten free items to their menu.