This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Calling All Gf Cooks!

kejohe

kejohe Apprentice

Okay all you fabulous gluten-free cooks out there here is the deal.... as some of you know I have been putting together recipes for some time now to put out cookbook. So far, I have nearly 100 recipes, but I would like to get a few more before I present it to the publisher. So if any of you would like to contribute, I'd love to hear/read your suggestions/recipes.

Please keep in mind that my book is not exactly like the books on gluten-free cooking you find now on the market, mine is more about (somewhat upscale, but not advanced) cooking with fresh ingredients, and it's going to include the following sections:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Kathleen:

I am sorry I do not have any recipes for you as I am still learning to cook from scratch, lol but I did want to say GOOD LUCK TO YOU, I know your cookbook will turn out GREAT!!!! :D

kejohe Apprentice

Hee hee... thanks, I'm so nervous! I am drafting my proposals for the publishers as we speak and I keep thinking what if they hate it? or scarier still what if they love it? I think no matter what the responses are I'm gonna freak out. :P

GFdoc Apprentice

Kathleen - are you planning on having some ethnic recipes? Since going gluten-free, I really miss going out to ethnic restaurants...I've been worried that the language barrier isssue would be a problem. (I've only gone once... to an Indian restaurant where the manager spoke English well enough). I'd love to learn to make my own Thai/Indian/ etc. foods. Sara

kejohe Apprentice

I didn't plan on singaling out any specifically ethenic sections, However.... I do have several ethnic recipes included, like Thai Beef Salad, Spicy Mango & Chicken Satay,Mexican Corn Salad, Chili Rellanos with red Chili Sauce..... am I making your mouth water yet?

I also plan on including several Asian and Mediterranean dishes.

beelzebubble Contributor

heh heh, great minds think alike. i would loooove to talk to you about this. i have also been collecting recipes, as i am a bit of a cook myself. i was collecting them/creating them with the idea of putting out a gluten free cookbook. send me a pm so we can chat :)

carrie

Guest Libbyk

Would you be willing to post your chili rellenos recipe? I have been lusting for some for a long time now, but too nervous to try. good luck with the publishers. If they don;t think there's a market, just tell them to look at this site, and how hungry we all are for info.

Libby

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kejohe Apprentice

I made some "Char Sui Bao's" today (pronounced cha sue bow), they are a Chinese bun filled with barbequed pork. It was the first time I attemped this particular feat. I had been making them for a couple of years before we went gluten free and hadn't made any since because of the challange, but they turned out awsome! Not quite the depth of color that wheat bread will get, but the taste was almost perfect.... I am definately going to put them into my book.... I am also going to work on a wonton skin, something that we can also use for potstickers too, but I need to find the time to experiment more.

Thanks for all the support guys!

kejohe Apprentice

Oops, I forgot... Libby, I don't mind posting the rellanos recipe, give me some time to type it up though, I have it tucked into a drawer with my million other recipes and need to pull it out.

It's really easy though.... roast & skin your chilies, then make a slit down the center and stuff them with cheese (I use monterey jack) then dip in rice flour, beaten egg and gluten-free bread crumbs. Pan fry and serve with a chili sauce or sour cream or whatever you prefer. I will post something a little more specific when I organize everything, but don't be afraid to give them a try.

shimma Apprentice

Are you interested at all in some Indian recipes? In South India they make most of their breads from rice and lentils, and they turn out fantastically.

Guest Libbyk

Kathleen-

thanks for being generous with your recipe- I can't wait to try it out!

shimma-

I would love to try out some indain breads. This is the first time in my life I have been excited about baking, or breads. I tried somebody's cinnamon poori recipe yesterday- yum. I did miss cinamon toast. By all means, throw some ideas out there. I will give em a try.

Libby

jillcole Newbie

Here is a wonderful gluten-free fried chicken breast recipe.

1. Dust your chicken with a legal flour

2. Roll it in soaked ground flaxseed. (2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 2/3

cup of lukewarm water. Give this mix time to absorb. 4 to 5 minutes.

3. roll it in brown rice bread crumbs. I have only used HOL-GRAIN bread crumbs.

4. Then put in in your pan with olive oil, salt it and cook it. Make sure you have

enough HOT oil so your chicken does not stick.

This is a 5 star out of 5. I make it for company & they love it.

If you want to include this in your recipe book it is ok with me.

Also my favorite gluten-free bread recipe I found on the internet:

Open Original Shared Link

It doesn't have the right consistency for sandwhiches, but if you toast or broil it , it is YUMMY! My whole faimily eats it.

jillcole Newbie

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,105

Here is a wonderful gluten-free fried chicken breast recipe.

1. Dust your chicken with a legal flour

2. Roll it in soaked ground flaxseed. (2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed and 2/3

cup of lukewarm water. Give this mix time to absorb. 4 to 5 minutes.

3. roll it in brown rice bread crumbs. I have only used HOL-GRAIN bread crumbs.

4. Then put in in your pan with olive oil, salt it and cook it. Make sure you have

enough HOT oil so your chicken does not stick.

This is a 5 star out of 5. I make it for company & they love it.

If you want to include this in your recipe book it is ok with me.

Also my favorite gluten-free bread recipe I found on the internet:

Open Original Shared Link

It doesn't have the right consistency for sandwhiches, but if you toast or broil it , it is YUMMY! My whole faimily eats it.

• 2 weeks later...
kejohe Apprentice

Thanks for all the recipe ideas and the support. I hijacked a Pastry chef friend of mine and she is going to help me expand my dessert section, becuase since I generally only cook "savory" cusine, my dessert section was lacking.

You guys are great!

Laura Apprentice

Kathleen,

Here's a dessert recipe I posted in another thread recently. I've found versions of this recipe in several places, and I particularly like it because it doesn't involve any substitutions -- this is actually a recipe that people who can eat gluten can have. Not that I don't love cake made with gluten-free flour, but sometimes it's nice to just have something like everyone else would. I made this for Christmas this year and my non-celiac parents and their food-snob guests RAVED about it. It's light and airy but intensely flavored.

Here's a flourless recipe that's just incredible:

in heatproof bowl in pan of simmering water, melt 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate with 3 tablespoons water or coffee and 1 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla.

meanwhile separate 6 eggs and beat the whites into soft peaks.

beat

kejohe Apprentice

Thanks Laura!

I have a decadence cake that is very similar, sometimes it's called a fallen souffle cake as well, because of the souffle method used to make it. However, I have never tried to make it into a roll cake and that sounds fantastic.

Just for everyone elses benifit, this cake is awesome served with fresh whipped cream, as suggested by Laura, but also with a raspberry sauce (made by pureeing raspberries, then straining them and adding sugar to taste, may need to heat in sauce pan to melt sugar). It's also very good coated in a chocolate ganache (50% chocolate & 50% heavy cream, melted together), then served with gluten-free vanilla ice cream.

Laura, I would love to see your almond cake recipe, I recently found an almond tart recipe that is really good, but I need to make it gluten-free.

Thanks again!

SadiesMomma Apprentice

Okay.....

How would I get a copy of this cookbook?????

kejohe Apprentice

Well... I have to finish writting it first, but it's nearly there! After that, it goes to print and then you will probably be able to get it anywhere you would buy cookbooks. And I am counting on you to buy it!

plantime Contributor

Let us know when it comes out, and what the title is. My favorite bookstore has already told me that they will order it for me, if they do not have it in stock.

Archived