Juliebove

Clueless People

Rate this topic

We've been eating at this great little takeout place because they made gluten-free teriyaki. But they recently changed their menu and that is no longer on it. Last week is when we first noticed the change. I asked about their signature chicken and the balsamic chicken. The guy behind the counter said he knew the signature chicken had wheat but wasn't sure about the other. I would have to speak to one of the owners and they were out doing catering.

So tonight I asked. The balsamic chicken was safe as was some kind of ribs. Daughter opted for the ribs. Said they were good but too messy so she wants to try the chicken next week. Fine.

Owner said they had a gluten-free dessert that wasn't on the menu. Chocolate decadence. I asked if it had dairy or eggs in it? Daughter has outgrown her allergies to both but can only have them twice a week. I am still allergic to eggs. The dessert had eggs. I said it would be okay since she already had the coleslaw and it had eggs in it. I just guessed by looking at it, that it was eggs. The owner said there were no eggs in it. I was surprised and then asked her if it was dairy? The dressing was obviously creamy. She looked in her recipe book and told me the dressing was so creamy because it was made of mayo. To which I replied, "And what is in mayo?" She seriously didn't know that it was eggs.

It just baffles me that people don't know what is in common foods. And apparently they don't make their mayo or she would know this.

This girl at work went OFF because her sandwich from Jimmy John's at mayonnaise on it and she's allergic to it. I said, "oh, you're allergic to eggs?" - trying to start a conversation about food allergies.

She goes, "no, huh, I think I said mayonnaise, not eggs" and everyone laughed.

I actually felt stupid.

I have lots of stories like that... the kind friend who told me there was no wheat in her soup and dipping me out a big bowl... to find pasta floating everywhere. Or the waitress who said she understood my food issues and brought me the salad that was absolutely gluten-free and at the bottom was a layer of chinese noodles... "Oh... THOSE are made from wheat??"

This girl at work went OFF because her sandwich from Jimmy John's at mayonnaise on it and she's allergic to it. I said, "oh, you're allergic to eggs?" - trying to start a conversation about food allergies.

She goes, "no, huh, I think I said mayonnaise, not eggs" and everyone laughed.

I actually felt stupid.

I would have asked it was made of mayonnaise berries and where could you buy those?

I lost count of the people who thought I couldn't have eggs because I was reacting to dairy! :blink: I finally asked one lady what kind of cow she gets her eggs from.

The worst one so far has been the five star restaurant that wanted me to go over several pages of cooking instructions and choose something I could have on my way into the dining room. They had promised me a gluten free menu a month in advance. I was furious. I was stuck on an island, that requires a boat ride to the mainland to get to a grocery store, with a bunch of clueless snobs. I was told point blank, "We prefer to do it our way." So at $50 a plate they served me dry gluten free noodles, chicken breast and salad FOR THREE DAYS. No surprise, the conference ended with gluten, benedryl, and a refund.

At one point they even served me a bowl of ice cream with a cookie on top! AHHHHHHH