This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Communion At Church Made Me Sick!

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

So, I'm only in my second week of this diet, and obviously still learning. But I've been really good, I think. For now I've been concentrating on just eating "plainly" -- i.e., plain meat, rice or potatoes (cooked myself), vegetables, fruit. So far so good. So Sunday was communion Sunday at my church -- we have it once per month so this was my first since being on this diet. Without even thinking I went up with everyone else and tore off a nice big piece of the bread (we always say "God is generous with us, so eat generously"... lol) After worship I was very careful at coffee hour to take only fruit, cheese, and raw vegetables. Then we had a meeting, and halfway through it I started to feel bad. Later at home I thought back to what I'd had to eat and could think of NOTHING that would have had gluten in it.

Oops... lol... um, yeah, the loaf of bread at communion. :rolleyes:

I talked to my pastor and right away she said we'll work it out. On Sundays when we use one large loaf and everyone comes up to take a piece we'll just use gluten-free bread. Either than or maybe two kinds, gluten-free on one side, regular on the other. On days when we pass trays in the pews she will use gluten-free wafers (or bread if I want) and put that in a separate small dish on the side of the communion tray. She said she's done this before because there used to be a woman at this church who had celiac, and she'll do whatever needs to be done to be sure I can take communion without getting sick. -- Isn't she a sweetie? :)

Anyone else had similar issues? I'm curious as to how other churches or synagogues handle this. (in the synagogue I sometimes attend with a friend they always have a blessing with bread and wine immediately before the fellowship time, so I'm sure it's an issue for celiacs there also.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jackay Enthusiast

I am in the process of joining a new church. I was told they have individual wine and juice the first Sunday of each month. They didn't this past Sunday. I got a call from the church secretary yesterday about becoming a member.

I asked about the individual cups and she said they don't do that during the summer months. However, she said they would accomodate me in any way necessary. When there is a shared challis, they can have an individual container of wine or juice for me. I just have to notify the usher when I come to church. I told her that I was just going to skip the host and she mentioned gluten free hosts. I heard that most of them are low gluten and not gluten free. I mentioned that some people bring their own crackers, pretzels or bread. She said that would be great.

I am really looking forward to starting in with communion again:)

lucia Enthusiast

Catholics can find information about communion for celiacs at: Open Original Shared Link

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Please let these churchs know (in writing) that they are doing a great service to those of their members that are gluten free.

Traveller Rookie

My church made it easy. I explained my situation and asked for gluten free wafers, and the next communion sunday there they were! Unfortunately, they were mixed in with the other wafers. So after explaining cc, the next communion they were put in a separate container, set in the middle of the plate.

Wonderful!

polarbearscooby Explorer

So far my church hasn't made any changes...our elders board has been 'looking' into it for months now. So I decided just to bring a piece of a gluten-free cracker for my communion each week. (My only problem now is NOT eating the crackers now! They are very tasty) Any brand names for gluten-free communion out there?

Monklady123 Collaborator

Cokesbury offers a gluten-free wafer, that's also soy-free. I don't know the brand name, but if you google "Cokesbury" then put "gluten free" in their search box you'll find them. We used these in chapel at my seminary. Funny, I never really paid attention except to vaguely hear the announcement about which were the gluten-free wafers. Who knew that a year later I'd be the one needing them. ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CaraLouise Explorer

I have worked with 2 different churches and we each have separate wavers and a separate cup. Currently at one service it is entirely gluten free. :)

Monklady123 Collaborator

I should add that these wafers at Cokesbury are for Protestant churches. I read through the info at the site that someone provided in this thread (sorry, can't see the replies to know who it was) about the Catholic church and it sounds like if it doesn't have wheat then it's not "valid" for communion in the Catholic church. Don't know if that's still official or not, but these Cokesbury wafers have no wheat at all. Personally I know a Catholic priest who I have no doubt would use these non-wheat wafers in the interests of including everyone in the sacrament. But just thought I'd put that out there.

And Cara, that's what I'm going to do at my church, at least on the Sundays when we come forward for communion by intinction (when we tear off a piece of bread and dip it in the cup). I haven't tried gluten-free bread yet, being still new to this whole thing. But I've seen good reviews on this site about that Udi's bread, so I'm going to try it. If I think it would work for communion then I'm going to supply it for next time. Then we'll all be eating gluten-free. :lol:

Archived