Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Monklady123

Talk To Me About Alcohol, And About Bread Please...

I do have to agree about the Katz Gluten Free Challah, that is the first gluten-free bread that I have purchased and eaten. I haven't tried Udi's, but everyone raves about how good it is, glad to know that someone else shares my thoughts on Katz's!!

I tried Kinickkinick gluten-free bread recently and like it. It is soy free unlike a lot of others (Udi's etc). I used to like Glutino fiber bread but they say on the label may contain traces of soy. So not doing that now. There is a thread on microwave bread or buns that you can search on started by Lonewolf. If you just want a quick bun it is easy to make.

And look, I didn't even mention the wheat paste on wooden barrels thing once...

I really haven't liked any of the store bought breads I have tried. So I have gotten into baking my own gluten free bread and am having a lot of success. Unlike the store bought breads my bread is delicious, rises really high, is light and can be eaten untoasted.

Baking your own bread is a bit time consuming - so when i measure out the ingredients I do four of five batches of the combined dry ingredients (except the yeast) and store them in zip lock bags. Then all I have to do is add the yeast and wet ingredients, mix, rise and bake.

I don't have a bread machine, but apparently they make the process a lot easier.

Baking is very therapeutic and relaxing and being able to eat decent bread makes it totally worthwhile.

I would love to know your recipe (as I'm sure many on here would), please share it with us!

I'm lucky enough to have a gluten free bakery near my home, so I can't comment on the bread, although sometimes in a pinch I do buckle down and use the TJ's rice bread. I also eat rice cakes a lot. It's a bit cheaper than buying from the gluten-free bakery. I'm also considering getting a breadmaker and making my own.

As for the wine. I don't have any problems at all with any wine. I will say this, though, I've been gluten free for about 8 months now and the first couple months my stomach was in horrible shape from all the damage. It took a long time before I could tolerate anything remotely acidic. The sulfites also add to headaches. I persoannly love wine, so I'm glad I can tolerate it. I'd say give it some time. Hope this helps.