This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Thought Gluten-Free Eating Would Be Healthier!

Monklady123

Monklady123 Collaborator

So -- I went browsing through the grocery store again today and made a discovery. I had thought that gluten-free would be healthier since I'll be cooking more from scratch. Well... discovered my VERY favorite junk food, Utz ripple cut potato chips, is gluten-free! woot! And what was my very first thought? Not "oh really, these are not good for me".. but instead it was "oh wow, and since I can't eat bread or my favorite crackers etc. any more I can just eat more potato chips." hmmm.. somehow this may not be a good thing. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kayo Explorer

I have eaten my fair share of potato chips and then some! I'm glad to have a crunchy and salty comfort food that can be found anywhere. If you can't find Utz try Lays Wavy. They're what I would call a classic ruffle potato chip. To offset the chips just have a bit more broccoli :D

Fey Rookie

I said my goal was to find as many junk food items as possible that were gluten free. It's the only way to keep me from bawling every time I open the pantry and see Oreos.

I am eating much healthier (cooking from scratch vs hamburger helper or burgers/hot dogs for dinner), but it's also a relief to know there's a wide range of easily found snacks that I can get in a pinch. Cheetos, soda, lay's, LARABAR fruit bars (the banana ones are delish, and it's dairy/soy/gluten free), fruits, certain candy bars, etc.

Monklady123 Collaborator

I have eaten my fair share of potato chips and then some! I'm glad to have a crunchy and salty comfort food that can be found anywhere. If you can't find Utz try Lays Wavy. They're what I would call a classic ruffle potato chip. To offset the chips just have a bit more broccoli :D

Good tip Kayo... every piece of broccoli I have cancels out a bunch of chips. Right? B)

Northern Celiac Newbie

Just because it's gluten free doesn't mean it's good for you. I learned that the hard way

Skylark Collaborator

Learning Snickers is gluten-free was not necessarily a good thing for me. :P

Monklady123 Collaborator

Ooooooooooh, Snickers! yummmm.......... :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dakota girl Rookie

Ditto @ the Snickers! They are my guilty indulgence! I have a hard time passing up a Frito, too! But, many times I'm on a plate of raw vegies w/Sam's Club gluten-free Ranch Dressing...yummy, in a better way!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Snickers are a wonderful treat!

My DD literally jumped for joy when we discoved they were safe. She even wrote her entrance essay for college on the 'ritual' she did to eat them. That ritual was quite a process and rather fun to watch as she would use a knife and fork. Not only did she get in but she also easily got her own room in senior housing her freshman year so she had her own kitchen.

anabananakins Explorer

My response to being unable to eat takeaway anymore has been to eat baked potatos with heaps of butter every night. It's not healthy but knowing I can still have the delicious taste of melted butter on something has gone a long way to soothing the pain of losing bread, lol. Maybe I could have my melted butter with broccoli instead, hmmmm.

Takala Enthusiast

I said my goal was to find as many junk food items as possible that were gluten free. It's the only way to keep me from bawling every time I open the pantry and see Oreos.

I am eating much healthier (cooking from scratch vs hamburger helper or burgers/hot dogs for dinner), but it's also a relief to know there's a wide range of easily found snacks that I can get in a pinch. Cheetos, soda, lay's, LARABAR fruit bars (the banana ones are delish, and it's dairy/soy/gluten free), fruits, certain candy bars, etc.

You haven't found the K- Toos yet, I take it ?

Open Original Shared Link

BlackSillyYack Newbie

You haven't found the K- Toos yet, I take it ?

I ate healthy and did heavy body building BEFORE I got sick.

I was 245 with low body fat 18 months ago. I am a very sickly 170 today.

for the life of me it seems like this disease just HAPPENED all at once. but where as I used to eat nothing but meat and more meat. now all I eat (if I ever eat) are bad things. I have basil fried rice (without soy sauce) almost every day of the week. I have baked THREE betty crocker cakes in the past week and a half, I have a cabinate full of gluten free cookies, and constantly eat a cup o noodles (thai rice noodle gluten free) every night.

I am glad I dont live any place close to where I did before, because the people I used to go to the gym with would disown me. but, I dont care at this point I am just trying to stay alive.

GFinDC Veteran

Well, I am not perfect in that regard either. I used to eat those Starburst fruit chews things because they are one of the few gluten-free things I could find in a convenience store without any dairy or soy. Basically a bunch of corn syrup, sugar and flavoring chemicals. No more though.

Then I found Corn Nuts by Kraft. Corn, corn oil, salt, at least in the orginal flavor. I still like to grab those sometimes when I find them.

Then just yesterday I decided to finally try some Skittles since I kept reading on here that they are gluten free. Yeesh, nothing but sugar and junk. Way too sweet. So then Yahoo health put out a nice article today on what is bad about food and they spotlight Skittles as crap food. I think they are right there. I'd read before that Skittles have lac in the coating but I don't see that in the ingredients. Lac is what they make shellac from.

Hey all, if you want to avoid the junk, try going dairy free, soy free and nightshade free too. Most of the gluten-free treats have one or more of those in them.

Larabars, now those are ok.

I did find some Planters brand peanut bars the other day that are gluten-free.

Welcome to our wonderful club BSY!

curlyfries Contributor

I ate healthy and did heavy body building BEFORE I got sick.I was 245 with low body fat 18 months ago. I am a very sickly 170 today. for the life of me it seems like this disease just HAPPENED all at once. but where as I used to eat nothing but meat and more meat. now all I eat (if I ever eat) are bad things. I have basil fried rice (without soy sauce) almost every day of the week. I have baked THREE betty crocker cakes in the past week and a half, I have a cabinate full of gluten free cookies, and constantly eat a cup o noodles (thai rice noodle gluten free) every night.I am glad I dont live any place close to where I did before, because the people I used to go to the gym with would disown me. but, I dont care at this point I am just trying to stay alive.

I am confused why you are no longer eating meat. Do you have other food issues as well? How long have you been gluten-free?

Are you feeling better eating the way you are now?

Perhaps you should start trying to add some healthier foods now......vegetables, beans, almond butter, eggs (trying to think of protein replacement)

I can't have sugar in any form. So...no fruit, grains, snacks. Very boring. I recently went to a new free clinic through my job to deal with some other health issues i had been putting off and did not even think to mention this problem and the possibility of candida, bacterial overgrowth.....whatever. I am so used to living this way :P

Archived