Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coolclimates

Constant Cravings!

One thing I've noticed since going on the gluten-free diet is that I have constant cravings for baked goods, ice cream, sweets and carbs (pasta, esp). I've been a baker all my life and have always eaten a fair amount of baked goods (but not out of control). Before I started this diet, I had a lot of cravings, too, but not as much as I do now. I just have to use all the willpower I have not to grab everything sweet and wolf it down.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've been on the gluten-free since early May. Does it eventually go away?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I too have had this problem. That and craving fast food... which I NEVER eat! I am been gluten free since April and I am still fighting it. I am not sure why this is, but hopefully someone out there will know. Just wanted you to know you are not alone. :)

Yep, I'm hungry all the time and craving stuff I wouldn't normally bother with. I'm gluten-free since end of February.My consumption of chocolate is much higher than it ever was. My weight is up every week and I didn't need to put any on to begin with. It had better ease up soon or I will become overweight and then obese.

Digestive issues since childhood

Unexplained anemia since 1999

Eating-related nausea for over 4 years

Tested positive for H.pylori and was treated

Unexplained elevated liver enzymes since 2008

Condition deteriorated badly upon moving to Middle East July 2009

Severe diarrhea and vomiting

Positive antibody tests February 2010

Positive endoscopy March 2010

Gluten free since 21st February 2010

I can't remember whether I mentioned this before but it might be very helpful for you to have an intestinal flora test at Metametrix Labs. Several people on the Curezone Forums have had the test and it identified many invaders - bacteria, yeasts, parasites, viruses in the gut. Some chose to have the troublesome ones treated with meds and others chose to use herbs and natural methods. They also have other panels which look interesting.

DQ6/DQ8

HLA-DQ B allele 1 *0602: HLA-DQ B allele 2 *0302

Gluten free and Cow Dairy free since 2006

Once you writhe in pain for a week a few times as a result of those foods the cravings diminish.

Receiving a qualified diagnosis of Irritable Bowel Syndrome is as useful as a Psychiatrist giving you a diagnosis of "Doesn't Think Right".

I used to crave foods like crazy before I stopped eating processed foods (for the most part anyways). I suspect a few things: (1) you may have a candida overgrowth, which will set your carb cravings out of control (2) you may not be absorbing the vitamins/minerals from your food so your body is in starvation mode, despite the fact that you're eating reguarly (I take isotonic liquid vitamins to help with this)(3) you may not be getting the right combo of proteins and fat (try checking out the nutrition assesment tool on mercola.com. I did this years ago [used to have to pay for it] and it helped me tremedously).

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

I used to crave foods like crazy before I stopped eating processed foods (for the most part anyways). I suspect a few things: (1) you may have a candida overgrowth, which will set your carb cravings out of control (2) you may not be absorbing the vitamins/minerals from your food so your body is in starvation mode, despite the fact that you're eating reguarly (I take isotonic liquid vitamins to help with this)(3) you may not be getting the right combo of proteins and fat (try checking out the nutrition assesment tool on mercola.com. I did this years ago [used to have to pay for it] and it helped me tremedously).

I do believe I could really have candida overgrowth. I've been suffering from chronic yeast infections (the female kind) since I was 13. I also find that the more sweets I eat, the more I crave.