This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Starting To Forget

The Glutenator

The Glutenator Contributor

I have been gluten-free for about 4 months now, and am finally starting to forget what some gluten products taste like. This is great for me! The first few burgers I had this summer, I was totally bummed that the gluten-free buns were nothing like the very soft buns and mushy I was used to. But, last night I enjoyed a burger and didn't mind the bun. Same goes for baked goods. While the textures can be a little different, it has been long enough since I ate "normal" stuff that I can no longer compare. Now I compare gluten-free products to other gluten-free products, and life is becoming easier. I still find it hard to not be able to grab stuff on the go, or to pack all my own meals for a cottage weekend, but thus far it has been manageable. So here is to forgeting about the taste/texture of gluten and moving on to a life with healed intestines and a (fairly) healthy body!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

i-geek Rookie

Hear, hear!

I had hot dogs last night for the first time since going gluten-free (happily my beloved Hebrew Nationals are safe eats). I've gotten so used to not eating breads that the Kinnikinnick buns, while good, were almost too much- too much starch, too much bready texture. I split them in half and wrapped half-buns around my hot dogs and that was perfect. I actually prefer hamburgers now without the bun so I can taste more of the meat flavor. Weird, but true.

tmbarke Apprentice

I THINK BACK TO THE DAYS THAT I'D EAT PIZZA AND AFTER ONE THICK CRUST WITH TONS OF CHEESE SLICE, I'D BE BLOATED AND HURTING AND COULDN'T BREATHE FOR FEAR OF BURSTING MY STOMACH..........AND I'M SURE YOU KNOW THE REST.

NOW I DON'T REALLY MISS PIZZA......I MAKE IT NOW WITH A CRUST THAT I CAN DIGEST - THE DEEP DISH WITH EGGS AND CREAM CHEESE AND CHEESES.....SO SATISFYING!

I DON'T MISS THE BREAD REALLY - AS I HAVE FLASHBACKS OF WHAT IT WAS LIKE WHEN I'D CHOOSE A SANDWICH OR SUBWAY OR A WHOPPER.......AND THEN FEEL THE SAME AS I DID WITH PIZZA.

NOW I TRULY ENJOY THE LIGHTNESS OF SANDWICHES WRAPPED WITH LETTUCE AND I KNOW I'M NOT GOING TO FEEL GUILTY OR SUFFER WITH THE 'I CAN'T MOVE' RESULTS.

I NEVER WAS TOO BIG ON CAKES OR COOKIES OR DONUTS - SO NOW WHEN I LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLE EAT THEM, I THINK TO MYSELF - THAT'S JUST TERRIBLE WHAT PEOPLE PUT INTO THEIR BODIES THESE DAYS.

I'VE TURNED MY EATING HABITS ARUND FOR THE BETTER (EVEN IF I'M STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT) HAVING MORE FOCUS AND AMBITION AND MOTIVATION THAN I'VE HAD SINCE EARLY 20'S.

A LIFE OF DEPRESSION CAN STAY IN THE PAST - AS FOR ME AND MY GLUTEN FREE LIFE....LIFE IS WORTH LIVING AGAIN.

gluten-free 9 MOS........AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

TENA

Kay DH Apprentice

I've been gluten-free since September (flu and then high stress) and love to cook. So much of gluten-free cooking is better than with gluten-full stuff. gluten-free breading on fried things doesn't absorb oil and water as much and stays crunchy. I run gluten-free breads that collapse through a food processor; they still make good crumbs or croutons. Some things are amusing. I made chocolate cupcakes and then sat on one by mistake. It bounced back. Had it been wheat it would have been permanently squished. Sourdough wheat bread is a bit tricky, but the last flour I add is gluten-free so I haven't had any gluten problems with the bread. I am very sensitive to cross contamination now that I'm completely gluten-free. I still get poisoned about every 4th time I have a gluten-free meal at a restaurant (amazingly, one manager asked if I ate the bread sticks and if that caused the D). It is a learning process and gets easier through time.

jackay Enthusiast

I'VE TURNED MY EATING HABITS ARUND FOR THE BETTER (EVEN IF I'M STILL NOT LOSING WEIGHT) HAVING MORE FOCUS AND AMBITION AND MOTIVATION THAN I'VE HAD SINCE EARLY 20'S.

A LIFE OF DEPRESSION CAN STAY IN THE PAST - AS FOR ME AND MY GLUTEN FREE LIFE....LIFE IS WORTH LIVING AGAIN.

gluten-free 9 MOS........AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE.

TENA

Amen to that.

looking4help Apprentice

I am beginning to feel the same way. I find that I don't crave the bread and cookies nearly as much as before going gluten free. I get these amazing hamburger buns from my gluten free bakery and boy were they good!

I find that now being gluten free I eat so much less! In fact I have to watch very closely what I eat so that I am eating enough to be healthy! Before going gluten-free I ate and ate with no mind to what it was or even how much!

Yes, I have happily lost weight!! Yippee!!

Amen to that.

The Glutenator Contributor

I must say, I haven't been able to give up buns and baked goods, but my taste buds are just becoming accustomed to the gluten free products. For the past 8 weeks I have been visiting associates for work and taking a couple dozen donuts with me as a peace offering. I will be honest and say I really wanted one of those fluffy blobs of cakey goodness each time I carried the boxes into an office, but knowing that I have some kinnikinnick donuts in my freezer made it OK.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenfr3309 Rookie

i def do not miss gluten! in fact, when i'm around certain items now the smells make me want to gag.

i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything, except for that real flexibility of going somewhere and not having to think about ingredients. BUT i'd rather deal with that then feeling how i did months ago!

i have found many gluten-free products that i like. if i want a cupcake i know of a local bakery that has them. if i want a cookie then i'll have a cookie.

Archived