Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cheryl_C

Blue Corn Tostitos

I got glutened last night, and I think it was from the blue corn restaurant-style tostitos I had. I'd never had them before, and today after my symptoms started to settle down, I had some because I was hungry - about 10 minutes later, my ears started burning again, my stomach cramped up a bit and I had a little trouble catching my breath.

My question is this: I've never, ever had trouble with tostitos before - I practically LIVE on nachos, either with salsa or just plain. Is it possible to react to blue corn chips and not yellow corn chips? Is tostitos a dangerous company as far as cc?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I got glutened last night, and I think it was from the blue corn restaurant-style tostitos I had. I'd never had them before, and today after my symptoms started to settle down, I had some because I was hungry - about 10 minutes later, my ears started burning again, my stomach cramped up a bit and I had a little trouble catching my breath.

My question is this: I've never, ever had trouble with tostitos before - I practically LIVE on nachos, either with salsa or just plain. Is it possible to react to blue corn chips and not yellow corn chips? Is tostitos a dangerous company as far as cc?

Its on the Frito Lay list of gluten-free chips.

Oh goodness, that's scary. I hope those chips are fine because I eat them ALL the time!

Tiffany

Gluten-free since Oct '05

Livin', Lovin' and cookin' up a storm...

It's weird...they're supposed to be safe, but they aren't made in a dedicated factory (according to what I found online, anyway) so I guess there's always a chance of cc that way. It's never happened to me before with tostitos, though this was the first time ever eating the blue ones. So weird. I guess something else to cross off the list.

What are you dipping them in or eating with them? And do you share your home with gluten eaters? Any chance that someone else stuck their gluteny hand in the bag before you took some out for yourself?

Beyond that, if your symptoms are not your typical gluten symptoms you could be intolerant of blue corn and not yellow/white corn. Some people can eat brown rice, but not white and some can eat white but not brown. Some people can tolerate sweet potatoes but not white potatoes. For me personally I have more problems with russets (and other white potatoes), but I can eat red potatoes, gold potatoes or sweet potatoes without any problems at all. I hope you get it figured out.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)