Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pac

(Semi)-Vegetarian Diet Vs. Pork

I'm trying to eat a "semi-vegetarian" diet (vegetarian food + occational fish + seafood) so that I can share meals with my DH (who went almost completely gluten-free with me). With fish included, I thought it wouldn't be a problem, even though I'm a typical meat-eater - doing well on low starch "paleo with dairy" diet. But my body seems not too happy about it. I could always trust my body when it comes to choosing the right food and this time it's crying out loud: "this food's not for you". (as it was when I was eating gluten, and I don't want to do the same mistake twice.) After a while on this diet I invariably start craving protein and probiotic dairy, I feel bloated and get yeast overgrowth problems, my muscles are weak and are prone to cramping... Eating more seafood and strictly avoiding starches and sugar helps except for the muscle cramps and protein cravings. I tried adding meat - beef and chicken works well but pork gives the best results by far. It's not a big deal to buy a piece of meat, put it in a freezer and fry a little bit of it every now and then to add to my meal. But it keeps nagging in my mind - why pork? What is 'wrong' with my diet that pork is such a miraculous cure for it? I know from before that this will happen to me on a completely vegetarian diet, but with fish and eggs included, I really didn't expected problems.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Maybe it's fat you're craving?

"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"

- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

I don't know. I am allergic to pork, but I have the same phenomenon you are describing happen to me with beef. I'm a former vegetarian and now I have to eat beef (or bison) at least once a week or I feel run down. It doesn't seem to matter that I try to incorporate other sources of iron into my diet (Spinach, iron supplements, etc.). I still need to eat some red meat to feel good. Maybe it is the fat. Who knows? I gave up trying to be vegetarian long ago. I still make some vegetarian meals, but most of my diet is just steamed veggies and either beef or chicken.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

maybe it is the fat you're craving. pork fat tastes really good. i avoid pig tho- i, personally, dont think pig is good for anybody.

you definitely need good fats in your diet- for your health and your satiety. <- is that a word?

if your muscles need more iron or protein-> you should try to add red meat, eggs, or dark turkey meat.

i really dont know why the pork makes you feel better. ??

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(