Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

summerteeth

Peanuts

Do peanuts give anyone else severe stomach cramping (eggs do the same to me for some reason...). I have tried many different types of peanut butter (regular, low fat, all natural, organic...) & I'm not worried about gluten and/or casein contamination - yet each time I get these really severe stomach cramps. Just kind of wondering if anyone has any experience with this...

Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008

dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My son's GI told us, while we were still searching for answers, that some people can have allergic reactions in their stomach/intestines.

Just an idea.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

YES. peanuts and peanut butter WRECK my intestines- they feel like rocks from my stomach on down- thru their entire journey (sorry tmi).

some people have problems digesting peanuts, cause they have problems digesting Legumes. Peanuts are Legumes and not nuts. i could eat almost a whole bag of almond m&ms, and not have any problems (other than a sore jaw).. but more than a few peanut m&ms, and im in for hours of painful gas :angry:

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Yes, allergies can definitely cause GI symptoms. My journey with tested food allergies confirmed that to me.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Very interesting... I wonder if it is an intolerance though (I really like PB & am hoping I can have it, and dairy also, again someday).

Yes, I can eat tree nuts without any problem, it is only peanuts. And it is so painful! I guess I am going to have to buy some almond butter instead.

Monica

dx celiac disease- November 1, 2008

dairy/casein free (much to my chagrin) for good- September 1, 2010

Have you tried sunflower seed butter in place of peanut butter? You can make your own, or there's a product on the market called Sunbutter. I've made this, and it tastes so similar to peanut butter, I wouldn't have known it wasn't, had I not made it myself!

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

yes! ive had that sunbutter- it's DELISH... i also love the almond butter brand: "Barney Butter"... honestly- i have become so accustomed to these, that i dont like peanut butter anymore! OR the smell of it !

same with m&ms... i dont even like the taste of the peanut ones

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

I am mildly allergic to egg whites, and when I eat them, my only symptom is GI discomfort. So, yes, definitely possible it's a mild allergy. Could also be an intolerance, though.

I don't care much for sun butter myself, but almond and cashew butters are both fantastic!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09