Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shelbymartin93

Still Having Symptoms

So i'm 17 and I found out two weeks ago that I have celiacs. The adjustment hasn't been that bad but I'm still having symptoms. I have been very careful about not putting any gluten in my body but I'm still not feeling that great. I've only been on the diet for two weeks. Right now I'm still having a lot of bloating and abdominal cramping as well as a lot of gas and burping. Is this normal? I was told it might take a while for the inflamation to die down. I feel really frustrated because I really want to feel better and no one I talk to seems to understand because they think I should already feel better. If you could give me some help I would REALLY appreciate it :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Two weeks is not very long. Do make sure you are not sharing things like a toaster, scratched non-stick pans, wood spoons and cutting boards, jars of peanut butter, mayo and the like with gluten eaters because you could be getting cross contaimination. You also might want to stop your dairy consumption for now and see if that helps.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Two weeks is not very long. Do make sure you are not sharing things like a toaster, scratched non-stick pans, wood spoons and cutting boards, jars of peanut butter, mayo and the like with gluten eaters because you could be getting cross contaimination. You also might want to stop your dairy consumption for now and see if that helps.

Does this include eggs? And about how long till your symptoms were eliminated?

Does this include eggs? And about how long till your symptoms were eliminated?

Dairy means milk products, and does not include eggs.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

I would recommend stopping dairy for a little while. I found when I stopped eating gluten that my stomach was still sensitive to dairy for a week after, at least, before I could eat low levels of it again.

I would also recommend, while you're beginning to heal, to eat things that are easily digestible: Fruit, veg, fish and as little red meat as possible. I am still particularly sensitive to pork, something notoriously hard to digest, but have found I can happily each chicken and lamb just a few weeks into the diet.

If it continues after a few more weeks, it would suggest you are either being cross contaminated or you have another food allergy as well. a few elimination diet runs should solve that.

Dairy free: May '10

Gluten free: October '10

"When life gives you lemons, but you wanted lemonade, don't give up. Your dream is still possible, and it will be so much sweeter made with your own hands."

I would recommend stopping dairy for a little while. I found when I stopped eating gluten that my stomach was still sensitive to dairy for a week after, at least, before I could eat low levels of it again.

I would also recommend, while you're beginning to heal, to eat things that are easily digestible: Fruit, veg, fish and as little red meat as possible. I am still particularly sensitive to pork, something notoriously hard to digest, but have found I can happily each chicken and lamb just a few weeks into the diet.

If it continues after a few more weeks, it would suggest you are either being cross contaminated or you have another food allergy as well. a few elimination diet runs should solve that.

What about the Gas? I am still very gassy and it happens very frequently and doesn't have the greatest odor. Is that a symptom?

What about the Gas? I am still very gassy and it happens very frequently and doesn't have the greatest odor. Is that a symptom?

Gas can be from lactose intolerance. A lot of celiacs are lactose intolerant until their intestines heal, since lactase is made at the tips of the villi.

Gas can be from lactose intolerance. A lot of celiacs are lactose intolerant until their intestines heal, since lactase is made at the tips of the villi.

That's what I thought as well, but I haven pretty much cut out all dairy as well. Could my intenstines still just be healing?

Yes, you could indeed be temporarily intolerant to lactose until your small intestine heals. Lactose is the sugar in cow's milk. To digest it, your system needs the enzyme lactase, which is produced in the villi of the small intestine. If you have celiac damage to your villi, then you may be lactase deficient which will cause you to be lactose intolerant. Gas is a common symptom of lactose intolerance.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Yes, you could indeed be temporarily intolerant to lactose until your small intestine heals. Lactose is the sugar in cow's milk. To digest it, your system needs the enzyme lactase, which is produced in the villi of the small intestine. If you have celiac damage to your villi, then you may be lactase deficient which will cause you to be lactose intolerant. Gas is a common symptom of lactose intolerance.

You could try using Lactaid brand milk.