Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marz

Stupid, Idiotic Cappuccino Machines...

So after a few weeks of trying to figure out *why* the cappuccinos at work are somehow affecting me, I did some experimenting today to see.

I know the hot chocolate from the same machine contains wheat proteins, but stupid me, I assumed that someone who designed the machine would have a brain and make the hot chocolate come from a different spout (There's about 5 different output spouts).

Unfortunately they did not - the same spout releases milk, hot chocolate and the "foamy" part of the cappuccino. So even the white coffees can be contaminated. Even if I pour 2 cups of cappuccino to "clean" the spout, I can't guarantee some hot chocolate won't get into my coffee.

Just wanted to rant and warn in case someone else is making the same mistake :(

Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks

July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms

July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem

Gluten intolerant

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Gulp. I'll be checking the hot chocolate ingredients on our new coffee machine when I head over to get a cup! Thanks so much for the heads-up.

Wheat in hot chocolate?! OMIGAH!!!! Ugh. Totally unnecessary.

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Wheat in hot chocolate?! OMIGAH!!!! Ugh. Totally unnecessary.

I have had hot chocolate at home that was fine. So...when I was freezing at a recent football game I decided to get hot chocolate...I haven't had issues with it! WRONG! The stuff they use at the game must have wheat. It took me two tries to figure that out! :(

Allow me to rant, too:

Thank you for making me laugh :D I always wonder about that as well....

Feb 2010 - Start of continuous GIT problems and panic attacks

July 2010 - Blood and biopsy -ve, went gluten free after testing which completely relieved symptoms

July 2011 - 1 year gluten free, food intolerances (Chicken, eggs, olives, goat milk) gone!

2012 - Soy no longer a problem

Gluten intolerant

I stopped using coffee vending machines years ago when they used to have hot chocolate, coffee, tea and instant CHICKEN SOUP available and all using the same spout. You can't imagine how gross hot chocolate tastes with a bit of chicken soup in it. Blechhhhh!