This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Onset Of Neurological Symptoms After Being Glutened

HardcoreDior

HardcoreDior Newbie

Hey,

I have a question for those of you who have associated neurological symptoms with gluten intolerance.

What is the time frame in which you experience neurological symptoms after consuming gluten?

I have been gluten free for about 2 months, and recently discovered a tapioca intolerance as well. I was accidentally glutened yesterday, and today I'm feeling a lot of disordered thinking - depression and anxiety. Since going gluten free, I have noticed some improvements in my neurological symptoms, and it seems like every time I get glutened, they return full force.

Is it possible that gluten can cause an increase in neurological symptoms within hours?

(Alternatively, I acknowledge I could simply be frustrated at feeling so crappy again, which could also be causing the return of anxiety and depression)

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kwylee Apprentice

90% of my symptoms are neurological, and not sure if this is typical of all who are gluten intolerant. If I ingest just a bite of either gluten, casein or soy, I feel dizzy within 10 minutes. For me, the response duration is commensurate with the amount ingested. Just a taste of something can leave me feeling "weird" for an hour. Since I am now accustomed to tasting and waiting, it's been a few months since I've had any reaction last longer than an hour.

Traveller Rookie

Is it possible that gluten can cause an increase in neurological symptoms within hours?

Yes, it's possible. My first symbol appears within an hour (severe headache), rapidly followed by fatigue, foggy brain, and a motion disorder. The duration and severity seems to correlate with the amount of gluten ingested.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

My neuro symptoms hit within a couple of hours at most and last for a couple of weeks. My GI issues (other than stomach growling which hits within an hour) don't appear until 3 days later.

curiousgirl Contributor

Yes, it's possible. My first symbol appears within an hour (severe headache), rapidly followed by fatigue, foggy brain, and a motion disorder. The duration and severity seems to correlate with the amount of gluten ingested.

what kind of motion disorder?

Pac Apprentice

In my case the onset of symptoms is 1/2 to several hours after glutening, duration depends on how much gluten I ingested (or breathed in) - several weeks to several months. In july I accidentaly ate a bag of gluten cookies (the gluten-free package looks exactly the same, same name color... just the ingredients list differs) and I only started getting better last two weeks. I don't get any GI symptoms any more, just yeast infections (finger nails and throat) and a long list of neuro symptoms.

HardcoreDior Newbie

This is GREAT feedback. Thank you so much, all of you.

I am VERY greatful for this forum - I would be very lost without it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MelindaLee Contributor

I ate gluten for lunch (accidentally) and by 4pm I was having dizziness and vision disortion. It lasted into the next day, though my GI symptoms take about 3 days to clear.

bluebonnet Explorer

yes for me it hits in a matter of hours and lasts around 2 to 3 days.

sillyken Enthusiast

I have been researching this for some time as I have been having seizures for about four years. I believe that there is a direct connection between my seizures and gluten ingestion. I ws accidently glutened at a restaunt about a month ago and my siezures got worse the next week.

Ken

precious831 Contributor

Hey,

I have a question for those of you who have associated neurological symptoms with gluten intolerance.

What is the time frame in which you experience neurological symptoms after consuming gluten?

I have been gluten free for about 2 months, and recently discovered a tapioca intolerance as well. I was accidentally glutened yesterday, and today I'm feeling a lot of disordered thinking - depression and anxiety. Since going gluten free, I have noticed some improvements in my neurological symptoms, and it seems like every time I get glutened, they return full force.

(Alternatively, I acknowledge I could simply be frustrated at feeling so crappy again, which could also be causing the return of anxiety and depression)

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Mine happens in a few hours. The GI symptoms begin though about 20-30 minutes after I ingest gluten. That familiar bloating, cramping, nausea, then diarrhea follows after that. Then the neurological symptoms and I would usually feel ill for almost a week. My joints swell up, everything hurts.

anabananakins Explorer

I found it took repeated glutenings in a short time to get the symptoms back again. Usually I get stomach pains and D about 2 hours after getting glutened, but by the end of that night I am ok. At home I have very good control over what I eat, so it's usually accidently contamination eating out.

However, on my recent trip I found that while the first glutening resulted in those usual symptoms, I got glutened again and again over the next week or so with barely any recovery time (all cc). Not only did my GI symptoms go back to what they'd been in the years before I self diagnosed (C instead of D), my neurological problems returned. They are mostly dizzyness, very unsteady balance. I have trouble walking through groups of people walking towards me because I tip and stumble, I have trouble judging the spacing. It took about a week to feel better and ironically it was when I stopped bothering trying to eat proper meals and risk contamination and just lived on things I knew were safe even if not particularly nutritious (I ate an awful lot of sugar) that I felt better. I'm not officially diagnosed and that was really good proof that gluten is poison to me.

So I think I'm lucky in that I'm ok if I only get glutened once and have time to recover, the neuro symptoms don't come back.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

My neuro symptoms- dizziness, foggy head and anxiety attacks- happen within about half an hour or less. It's my first symptom and how I know I'm glutened. I hate it!

MelindaLee Contributor

I ate gluten for lunch (accidentally) and by 4pm I was having dizziness and vision disortion. It lasted into the next day, though my GI symptoms take about 3 days to clear.

I just realized one week after this glutening...I had a migrain (mine are not typical. First I have visual distortion, then left arm, lips and nose numbness) This was my first migrain post gluten-free, so I followed up with the neurologist. He accused me of cheating! (that ticked me off! :angry: )until we got talking more and he realized how much I know this has helped. So there is a definate correlation between the accidental glutening and the migrain! :blink:

Archived