Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

norahsmommy

Family Thinks I Am Nuts..=)

Basically as soon as my daughter started eating gerber puffs (now including wheat flour), bits of cracker, bread and pasta bits we have had endless crankiness, screaming fits, temper fits, painful bm's that are either hard, or normal consistancy but still painful, 3-9 days between bm's, rashes, and funny colored foul smelling poo (greyish white-whiteish yellow, streaks of mucous with blood.)I took her off gluten after a hunch and she is doing much better, unless I mess up! She went to the allergist today and it was so disappointing. All he did was a skin test. She is allergic to none of the 40 somthing things he tested for including wheat. I somehow knew she would be negative for all that stuff because in my heart I know she is gluten intolerant. I talked about that with him and he said not to feed her gluten and dairy for 3 months then come back for more tests and see if she can handle gluten then. He said she is still so young (12 months) that she will change alot and may be able to handle those things then. He diagnosed her with 'delicate tummy' =). So I went home thinking she may not have celiac or anything really serious. My mil thinks that my thinking celiac at all is just terrible and I need to think positive and stop jumping to the worst possible conclusion. I fed my daughter some oatmeal I made yesterday and noticed she was really cranky all day. I thought it was just due to all the doc stuff. She pooped in the night and it was foul and difficult for her to pass. SHe pooped in the morning and she gasped and cried and strained and it was firm with bloody moucus streaks in it. She pooped this evening and it was so painful she was again gasping and writhing and trying to crawl up me to get away from it. This poop was firm and whitish mustard with white streaks in it. When she was done pooping her skin was clammy and she was breathing hard and clung to me and fell asleep (basically passed out). This is what happens when she gets gluten for more than a day. So I was searching my brain trying to find the source. I cleaned her up and put her to bed and made some tea. We were out of honey so I used some sugar. The sugar jar had FLOUR on the rim! I used to bake alot and haven't used the sugar jar in a long time. When I did I used the same scoop for wheat flour and sugar. I had used sugar in the oatmeal I fed her today and yesterday! So that is where she got it. I feel so bad for her, mommy messed her up =(. So its stuff like THAT that makes me realize she DOES have a problem and I need to keep her gluten free. Now I just need to help MIL realize this. My daughter is spending a night and all day with her while I take my mom and dad to his knee replacement surgery on monday. I am worried she will get contaminated food. I plan on making alot of little packets of 'safe' food. I just hope she gives them to her.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Was it oats labelled gluten-free? Regular oatmeal is most likely contaminated with wheat. Also, some Celiacs cannot tolerate oats as its protein is similiar to the gluten protein in wheat. Might want to skip the oatmeal and clean the sugar bowl, Mommy. You didn't do it on purpose.

If your MIL won't feed your daughter like you want her to be fed (Kosher, Vegetarian, gluten-free, whatever) she can't be allowed to take care of her again. Your daughter's health is too important.

It sounds like you should be getting tests for celiac disease and not for allergies. I don't think that they work very well for someone that young. To get an accurate test she has to be eating gluten.

Just so that you know, some 10% of celiacs get a gluten like reaction from oatmeal. I'm one of them. That might be what happened rather than or as well as the flour in the sugar.

It sounds like you have some challenges ahead. I hope that you will get the support that you need.

Would it make a difference with your MIL if you had a note from the doctor saying to keep you daughter off gluten until the next test? If so, then you would still need to have gluten-free foods for your daughter. CC is such a problems with gluten intolerance. I even have had problems with labeled gluten-free foods that were "processed in a plant that also processes wheat...", and there is a lot of hidden gluten in foods (hydrolyzed vegetable protein, etc.).

It sounds like you should be getting tests for celiac disease and not for allergies. I don't think that they work very well for someone that young. To get an accurate test she has to be eating gluten.

Just so that you know, some 10% of celiacs get a gluten like reaction from oatmeal. I'm one of them. That might be what happened rather than or as well as the flour in the sugar.

It sounds like you have some challenges ahead. I hope that you will get the support that you need.

OMG IM SO SORRY.. i was trying to hit the +1 and i slipped :( i cant delete it huh??? omg.. crap i feel bad

- i just had to go find another post of yours to correct your "count"... again, im so sorry :/

1986- Elevated Speckled ANA/no Lupus.negative Sjorgens

2008- AntiGliadin IGA/IGg~ Negative,TTG IGA/IGg~ Weak Positive, Endomysial Antibody~ Positive, IGA Deficient.

no biopsy (insurance denied)

6/2010- Enterolab Gene Test:

HLA-DQB1 Allele 1 0302

HLA-DQB1 Allele 2 0302

HLADQ 3,3 (subtype 8,8)

7/2010- 100% Gluten Free

8/2010- DH

10/2010-Hypothyroid dx-> 12/2010 Hashimoto's dx + 1/11- Graves dx :(

Was it oats labelled gluten-free? Regular oatmeal is most likely contaminated with wheat. Also, some Celiacs cannot tolerate oats as its protein is similiar to the gluten protein in wheat. Might want to skip the oatmeal and clean the sugar bowl, Mommy. You didn't do it on purpose.

If your MIL won't feed your daughter like you want her to be fed (Kosher, Vegetarian, gluten-free, whatever) she can't be allowed to take care of her again. Your daughter's health is too important.

They are labled gluten free. Maybe she is having trouble with oats. I have given her oatmeal several times and she has had issues but I though it was the milk I put in it. I left out the milk this time and I thought it was the contaminated flour. Maybe its oats too. So no more oats for a while so we can see.

STOP feeding honey NOW. Its TOXIC to babies. It may be other things but STOP the honey NOW.

Please provide the source for this assertion. Provide it NOW, please.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Feeding honey to babies under 12 months puts them at potential risk for infant botulism--

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/infant-botulism/HQ00854

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I know what you mean about testing negative for allergies. My youngest was just retested (his third time) and no reactions whatsoever. I am finally convincing my husband that I think the root of his sinus problems is food related. Our new allergist is thinking somekind of food intolerence and is going to get him retested for celiac. I had him tested two years ago but the lab messed up and he didn't get all the testing. However, even if the blood tests are negative I may work with the allergist on an elimination diet for him. It sounds like you have found what is bothering your little one. Tests at that age can be very innacurate even so on my almost 6 year old. It is a really big learning curve, especially was for me, and I think it is harder for a little one and it sounds like you are doing a good job. I would also second eliminating the oats. I react badly to certified gluten free oats also.

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

call your pediatrician. call your pharmacist. google it. the babys symptoms are classic reaction to honey. im on a cell phone and cant send you links. make the phone call. and some babies cant tolerate honey until about 2 years old. restrict honey. reintroduce it at 18 months and watch for reaction. if reaction, restrict again until 24 months. it is HIGHLY TOXIC.

It is standard advice from every source I've ever read not to feed honey to kids under 12 months, due to the fact that honey often harbors small quantities of botulism spores, and their little immune systems aren't yet capabable of handling the load. (There is similar advice for immunocompromised patients to avoid honey for the same reason.)

That said, the daughter is a year old, and if the honey is cooked (as it may (or may not) have been in the oatmeal, it would be fine.

To the OP - if putting your hand on a hot stove repeatedly hurts, why would you keep doing it? If someone didn't believe that it hurts, would you then say "oh, it must not really be hurting, despite what I feel" and start putting your hand on the hot stove?

You see what you see, repeatedly. You're not making up her poop. Trust your instincts, and to heck with anyone else who thinks they know your child better than you do.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

If you reread the post it looks like the mother was putting honey in her own tea, not feeding it to the baby who is now over 12 months anyway.

That was my take as well. Honey in mom's tea is toxic to a one-year-old? :unsure:

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

That was my take as well. Honey in mom's tea is toxic to a one-year-old? :unsure:

she feeds kid oatmeal. sweetens it. states shes not used sugar in a long time which leaves impression shes been using honey in past to sweeten oatmeal but last 2 times used sugar because no honey in the house.