Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K8ling

Christmas Travel

Hey guys. I am flying with a 2 year old this year and I was wondering if I needed a doctors note to bring snacks and water on the plane. The TSA says that I can bring juice and snacks for him but what about me? I won't be able to eat anything anywhere for fear of being cc'd.

Suggestions? Should I get a doctors note?

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You can take anything that is not liquid through. So things like gluten-free pretzels, gluten-free crackers, etc should be fine. Take a clean empty water bottle through security and fill it up at a drinking fountain on the other side.

A simple meal with love is better than a feast where there is hatred. Proverbs 15:17 (CEV)

Be prepared to have to throw out the juice or milk for the the little goober. It seems to depend on the agent and his or her mood. My son has accidentally taken a half full Gatorade thru in his backpack and no one saw it. Good bag screening.

You can bring food but not anything gooey. I have put a jar of pb in my checked bags & that's ok but technically you couldn't bring on the plane cause it's a goo. Goos and liquids. I have gotten the little pb & almond butter squeeze packs at WF. Put them in your baggie to go thru security. You can bring cold cut sandwich but watch out for the gel packs that keep things cold. Freeze your sandwich.

Your hub will be with you with a military ID incase you get into too much trouble. :)

I've never had a problem with food and TSA. Just make sure it's easily recognizable as food. I flew over Thanksgiving with gluten-free pretzels, sliced cheese, carrot and celery sticks, a couple hard-boiled eggs, and nuts in my bag. In the past I've flown with peeled oranges, sliced apples, and even sandwiches. Bring an empty water bottle and fill it on the other side of security.

I've never had a problem with food and TSA. Just make sure it's easily recognizable as food. I flew over Thanksgiving with gluten-free pretzels, sliced cheese, carrot and celery sticks, a couple hard-boiled eggs, and nuts in my bag. In the past I've flown with peeled oranges, sliced apples, and even sandwiches. Bring an empty water bottle and fill it on the other side of security.

You're one of those people who brings oranges on the airplane! I love sitting near you! It makes the plane smell so good! Hate sitting next to the Mc Donalds person.

Thanks! I triple checked with the TSA but Iwill be prepared to buy him new juice. He has an airsick medicine that is liquid and they also said that would be ok as long as it's in our little baggie.

Diagnosed with Gluten Allergy April 2010. Family history of Celiac disease and bowel cancers. Already feeling a billion times better since going gluten free.

I brought lots of Lara bars and other dried snacks (popcorn, chips, etc) on the plane and straight through security. They never minded with that stuff. I bought my water past security and then that wasn't an issue, either.

I'm flying in Feb to see my oldest son for his birthday so this is a good post for me to read. It's my first time flying since the 'diagnosis'... I've got to remember the empty water bottle so I can fill it up after security and not pay $3 for a bottle of water in the airports. It's a long trip 13 hours with layovers so I better plan ahead with snacks in my carry on because airport meals will most likely NOT be gluten free. A friend of mine with Celiac said he's made many trips and survived on McDonalds french fries and water until he arrived at his destination. I must be better prepared!! Sounds like everyone gave you all the pointers and thanks to everyone for doing that (Helps me too!) :)

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Stomach issues since childhood
Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) age 6-44
Diabetes age 44 to present now going back to Hypoglycemia since gluten free.
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c
Celiac disease- negative test in 2009, positive tests in Nov. 2010
Gluten free started 11/08/2010
Genetic tests positive- DQ2, positive -DQ6 (?) negative- DQ8 11/15/2010 

Hyperthyroid 2013 - benign tumors and entire thyroid removed

I've been pleasantly surprised lately at the number of gluten free snack items I'm seeing at airports. I still wouldn't feel comfortable relying on them, but you might get lucky and find things like Yoplait yogurt, fresh fruit, Kind bars, nuts, etc. You'll still pay airport prices and they aren't a meal, but at least it's something. Also, I recently flew on Delta and they had Boulder potato chips that were marked gluten free in the business class seats. :)

Also, Kind bars are sooo good. I am packing Larabars, Kind bars, fruit snacks for le kidlet, and sippy cups for juice.

I have many food allergies and the bars usually have nuts in them don't they... grrr We'll see what I can come up with I have two months to figure it out!!!

*Judy
Food allergies to fish, seafood, tree nuts, aspartame(Equal),flax seed, and many drugs RE-TESTED ALL FOOD ALLERGIES IN JUNE 2015 AND THEY ARE ALL NEGATIVE NOW!  TIME TO RE-INTRODUCE FISH AND NUTS!!! 
Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia in 2005 and it's gone now that I'm aspartame and gluten free. c

I have many food allergies and the bars usually have nuts in them don't they... grrr We'll see what I can come up with I have two months to figure it out!!!

Dried fruits and any kind of gluten-free crackers you could have would be OK. If nuts are a problem, maybe a hamburger patty bought past security at Wendy's or Burger King would be a reasonable addition to your carry-on luggage. That would get you some protein, too.

Dried fruits and any kind of gluten-free crackers you could have would be OK. If nuts are a problem, maybe a hamburger patty bought past security at Wendy's or Burger King would be a reasonable addition to your carry-on luggage. That would get you some protein, too.

mmmmm I can see it now, Judy get's a hamburger patty and puts it in her carryon and a week later goes to fly home (having forgotten that it was in there) and is denied access to said jet because of the odor coming from her carry on... LOL :P

*Judy

You're one of those people who brings oranges on the airplane! I love sitting near you! It makes the plane smell so good! Hate sitting next to the Mc Donalds person.

I never knew my oranges were making other people happy! That's neat.