Diane-in-FL

Baking Times

Rate this topic

Does anyone know why the baking times for things made with gluten-free flours are less than what the recipes say. On average, when I "convert" a recipe by substituting Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Flour for regular floor, I have to watch carefully and usually reduce the time by 10 minutes. My oven is spot on, so I'm sure it's not an oven issue. I don't mind being more careful and checking to see if things are done more often.......just curious if anyone else has found this to be true. Thanks. (Got brownies cooling as I type this.) :)

I use the time stated in a recipe when I convert it. I don't usually have any problems.

Hmmm....maybe I need a new oven thermometer. ;)

I find it works best to set my oven 25

There is a warning on the dark-coloured nonstick pans that you need to reduce baking time or temperature.

A lot of gluten free flour substitutes such as seed or nut meals need to cook at either a lower temperature or they will burn if you go the full recommended time.

This is common with a lot of the loaf breads. Have to do them slower, with maybe the oven turned down to 25

Thanks guys! I'll try setting the oven 25* lower next time. :)

Does anyone know why the baking times for things made with gluten-free flours are less than what the recipes say. On average, when I "convert" a recipe by substituting Bob's Red Mill gluten-free All-Purpose Flour for regular floor, I have to watch carefully and usually reduce the time by 10 minutes. My oven is spot on, so I'm sure it's not an oven issue. I don't mind being more careful and checking to see if things are done more often.......just curious if anyone else has found this to be true. Thanks. (Got brownies cooling as I type this.) :)

Yes, I've found baking times vary. A lot of factors can cause problems in baking, things like altitude, weather, humidity, the type of baking pan you use ---glass or metal. The best thing I found is to experiment. My next best trick is I always insert a toothpick to test for doneness. If it comes out with batter, I keep cooking a few minutes more until the inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Best of luck in your cooking!

Angie.