patylu

Prilosec Problems?

Rate this topic

About 2 weeks ago I went to the GI for a follow up on my upper GI scope and he said that although my labs are normal, I am on the high end for celiac. He put me on a gluten-free diet which I think I have been following. He also upped my Prilosec dose from 20 mg to 40 mg. I didn't take it Monday or Tuesday of this week because I just plain forgot. Wednesday I took it as usual and after eating breakfast felt a little nauseous but it got better by the time I got to work. Same thing Thursday. Then today I took my Prilosec, ate breakfast and became violently ill within about 20 minutes of eating. As far as I am aware I have not eaten any gluten. I have new containers and cooking utensils and I wipe down the counter tops every day in the kitchen. I called the doctor's office today to tell them about what was happening and they want me to take double my dose of prilosec - taking 40 in the morning and 40 in the evening. Are you serious?! Does anyone else take prilosec or something similar for heartburn that has had a similar problem?

About 2 weeks ago I went to the GI for a follow up on my upper GI scope and he said that although my labs are normal, I am on the high end for celiac. He put me on a gluten-free diet which I think I have been following. He also upped my Prilosec dose from 20 mg to 40 mg. I didn't take it Monday or Tuesday of this week because I just plain forgot. Wednesday I took it as usual and after eating breakfast felt a little nauseous but it got better by the time I got to work. Same thing Thursday. Then today I took my Prilosec, ate breakfast and became violently ill within about 20 minutes of eating. As far as I am aware I have not eaten any gluten. I have new containers and cooking utensils and I wipe down the counter tops every day in the kitchen. I called the doctor's office today to tell them about what was happening and they want me to take double my dose of prilosec - taking 40 in the morning and 40 in the evening. Are you serious?! Does anyone else take prilosec or something similar for heartburn that has had a similar problem?

You felt ill taking this medicine and he upped your dosage? :huh: Here is some information about the side effects of Prilosec. I have taken it, without issues, but it's not uncommon to have issues.

http://gerd.emedtv.com/prilosec/prilosec-side-effects.html

I'm not a doctor, but 80mg daily is a lot!

You felt ill taking this medicine and he upped your dosage?

I know! That was my thought too. I might need to find a new doctor. I've looked at all the side effects too. It says if you have severe diarrhea to contact your doctor. Well, that's what I did and he wants me to take more! I'm not going to take it for a few days and see if I feel better off of it than on it. They want me to call on Monday and let them know how I feel without it.

I know! That was my thought too. I might need to find a new doctor. I've looked at all the side effects too. It says if you have severe diarrhea to contact your doctor. Well, that's what I did and he wants me to take more! I'm not going to take it for a few days and see if I feel better off of it than on it. They want me to call on Monday and let them know how I feel without it.

I think you are wise to lay off for a few days. I took Prilosec for years, but some time into the gluten free diet, I no longer had the need for it.

I just talked to the pharmacist and asked if prescription Prilosec was gluten-free. It's not! No wonder I had problems! Prilosec is a PPI (not sure what that means but it's the type of medication) and there are NO gluten-free PPI's according to my pharmacist.

I just talked to the pharmacist and asked if prescription Prilosec was gluten-free. It's not! No wonder I had problems! Prilosec is a PPI (not sure what that means but it's the type of medication) and there are NO gluten-free PPI's according to my pharmacist.

I'm glad that you made an effort to check out your meds. But this surprises me greatly. Need to investigate. :rolleyes:

I may sound dumb but is prescription Prilosec different from the otc prilosec??

I may sound dumb but is prescription Prilosec different from the otc prilosec??

I don't know. I just know that when I asked if Prilosec was gluten-free, the pharmacist walked around the counter and picked up a box of the OTC. I told her that I'm on 40 mg of prescription and then she walked back around and looked something up in a book.

Prilosec is listed here as gluten free:

http://www.glutenfreedrugs.com/

I would call the (800) # on the box or ask the pharm for the manufacturers contact information. I have never known it to contain gluten, but you might want to double check.