stilltired07

Help With Biopsy Report

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test (anti-tTg 60 when >20 was positive) and biopsy. At my appointment today, my doctor gave me a copy of the endoscopy procedure notes and the biopsy results. I'm very new to all of this and would like to know if the results mean anything to anybody. Is this early Celiac Disease or is this likely something I've had for awhile (I am 25). I ask because I was sick for most of my life from stomach problems, but was told it was IBS. Is it possible I had this as a young kid or is my damage not enough? Maybe you can't tell, but I was just curious. I can't complain though, I'm sure there are people out there with a lot more damage than me, but you always are curious as to what stage your in before you reverse it. Thanks a lot!!!

ENDOSCOPY

----------------------

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS:

1. Normal examination of esophagus and stomach.

2. Diffuse flattening of villi, multiple biopsies taken

BIOPSY

------

Small Intestine Biopsy: High levels of intraepithelial lymphocyte counts with moderate villi atrophy.

Stomach Biopsy: Antral and body-type mucosa show signs of mild inflammation and gastritis.

Helicobacter pylori negative.

Chances are you have had celiac for a while since you have had symptoms for a long time. However how long you have had it isn't as important as the fact that you are now diagnosed and can start to heal. Go with whole foods and drop dairy for a little while as you will heal fastest that way.

Do read as much as you can here and ask any questions you need to. It can be hard at first and you may have a bit of withdrawl so don't be surprised if you are a little moody for a couple of weeks or so that is normal. Welcome to the board and I hope you are feeling much better soon.

Sounds like you've had it for a while. It takes time to destroy the villi, which is what has happened in your gut. I couldn't possibly say how long you've had it, though. You could have had it as a young kid, but there's really no way to say for sure without a time machine and another set of biopsies.

The good news is, you now know how to heal and become healthy again. Congratulations!!!! :D

• Upvote 1

Hi all,

I was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease by blood test (anti-tTg 60 when >20 was positive) and biopsy. At my appointment today, my doctor gave me a copy of the endoscopy procedure notes and the biopsy results. I'm very new to all of this and would like to know if the results mean anything to anybody. Is this early Celiac Disease or is this likely something I've had for awhile (I am 25). I ask because I was sick for most of my life from stomach problems, but was told it was IBS. Is it possible I had this as a young kid or is my damage not enough? Maybe you can't tell, but I was just curious. I can't complain though, I'm sure there are people out there with a lot more damage than me, but you always are curious as to what stage your in before you reverse it. Thanks a lot!!!

ENDOSCOPY

----------------------

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS:

1. Normal examination of esophagus and stomach.

2. Diffuse flattening of villi, multiple biopsies taken

BIOPSY

------

Small Intestine Biopsy: High levels of intraepithelial lymphocyte counts with moderate villi atrophy.

Stomach Biopsy: Antral and body-type mucosa show signs of mild inflammation and gastritis.

Helicobacter pylori negative.

Well, they are telling you that the villi atrophy (damage from Celiac) in your small intestines is moderate. Moderate is not the worst, not the best. They also say that it can take anywhere up to 3 years for the damaged villi to repair itself. I have NO IDEA if this would be how they would look at it, but if best case healed fast, moderate case healed in about half the total time (ie: 1.5 years) and worse case healed at 3 years... maybe that is how it works. I have no idea... just seems like that might be logical. :) You could ask your doctor. :)

haha I like your logic mscurious, makes sense.

Nah I know we all are different and our bodies all heal in different times. I guess I'm just stuck in that stage of not believing it is real yet. I can't believe something I love so much, hurt me so bad lol

Thanks everybody for the responses. I agree, all that matters is that I know and can reverse it. My fiance was just asking me questions about it and I really had no idea what to tell her as to how bad it was inside my belly. From what I found on google, I was in Marsh 3B, so I explained that to her. Whether I'm right, that is another chapter.

Thanks again everyone.