sickoftummyaches

Breakfast Restaurants...

Rate this topic

I have been gluten-free for about 3 weeks...Have felt MUCH MUCH better.

Today I went out to breakfast with my family. I thought eggs and hashbrowns (not deep fried) would be safe....after I ate, we got in the car and my stomach KILLED immediately...we drove home and I had to RUN to the bathroom with D....Haven't D like this since before gluten-free.

Do you think they grilled the eggs on the same grill as the pancakes or something and that could've caused a rxn? Can it happen THAT fast after eating gluten by accident? I mean it was within 10 minutes of finishing my meal?????

Ugh, I should've just ordered fruit and cottage cheese :(

Yes it can happen that fast!

I don't eat anything where they actually make pancakes as there is flour in the air and it lands on everything. The grill is used for pancakes, eggs, potato's and it is all potentially glutened before it reaches your plate. They usually use the same spatula and go from one food to the next flipping, pressing, checking, serving.

I'm sorry you got sick, but yeah, no, the cottage cheese prolly sits open in the kitchen and has flour dust on it. Sorry but that is my 2 cents. It has happened to me too.

Interesting that you post this. We ordered EZgluten test strips so we could test our favorite breakfast restaurant. We eat there every Sunday after church and I have been suspecting that my dd's food was contaminated. They have shown me the food labels and even gone to the trouble of cooking her food in a separate skillet. (She was eating hashbrowns, eggs, and bacon.) Sure enough though I brought her food home and tested it and it tested positive for gluten. Thankfully the owners are very considerate of our dd having celiac so going forward we will be bringing in gluten free cereal for her to eat whenever we go there. (My dd really doesn't care what she eats and half the time would prefer cereal anyway.)

Bummer...bc I really like eggs and hashbrowns :(

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to have to figure something out for these occasions!

Where did you get the test strips?

That is fascinating. It was just a theory I had from getting sick in places that served breakfast.

You validated it with your testing.

Good thing you found out.

Wow, those strips are expensive. So say you test a certain food item and find that it doesn't contain wheat. Do you test that every time you eat it or buy that product? Because what happens if the food manufacturer changes it process? I read on another post that someone found traces of wheat in vinegar? Anyone else have a problem with vinegar?

Those test strips are too expensive for that. I am only testing things that we eat regularly that I am suspicious of. My family goes out to this restaurant every week and my husband was not convinced that it was contaminated. Since we haven't been able to pinpoint the source of why my dd's antibody levels were still up I ordered 5 test strips to test a few things. I tested this restaurant since we go there every week. I tested a pizza restaurant that is supposed to be gluten free (it came back fine)and I plan to test my sister in law who also cooks for my dd that I am suspicious of contamination as well. It is not necessarily ruling foods in for us, but it is ruling foods out if that makes sense. I will likely order more test strips, but they are real pricey so not using them any more than I need to.