This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Advice About My Gasroscopy Please....

fozbery

fozbery Rookie

Just back from ct scan and reacting very badly to solution! Watery diarrhoea non stop! I asked to lady before if it would make me sick and she said no!!! Well I Barely made it home! I am also bleeding but I think maybe that is just from a hemoriod. I really hope so!!! They did tell me that there are no signs of inflammatory bowel so thats at least something good!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Roda Rising Star

Just back from ct scan and reacting very badly to solution! Watery diarrhoea non stop! I asked to lady before if it would make me sick and she said no!!! Well I Barely made it home! I am also bleeding but I think maybe that is just from a hemoriod. I really hope so!!! They did tell me that there are no signs of inflammatory bowel so thats at least something good!!

The CT contrast (drink) can cause D whether or not there is gluten in it. A lot of people complain of that. It shoots through you very rapidly. It should pass soon. Hopefully what you drank was gluten free.. most are but there are a few that are not. I had some mild D after my CT scan (I had a CT enterography exam last year). I had to drink three full bottles of the stuff every 20 minutes. The taste wasn't too bad but the sheer volume I had to consume made me want to puke! And yes, mine was gluten free.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I do hope it was gluten-free solution. I have had a couple of CTs both before and after diagnosis. The first one, before diagnosis I didn't even make it out of the hospital before needing to rush for the restroom. My second CT, after diagnosis, I insisted on gluten-free solution and the doctor even wrote it on the orders and I had no ill effects at all.

Hopefully things will ease up for you soon and it is good that they didn't see any signs of inflammatory bowel disease.

Are you still doing a gluten challenge? If so I hope it is over with soon for you.

fozbery Rookie

I don't know I'm just going to eat safe foods probably. Did you have any other side effects from the dye or solution? I was shaking a lot on the table and my legs are still shaky now. It was quite bad, I couldn't control it. They feel kind of numb and tingly . I'm a bit scared to be honest, I didn't expect to feel bad afterwards. I also feel nauseous. They sent me home so they can't be worried!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I don't know I'm just going to eat safe foods probably. Did you have any other side effects from the dye or solution? I was shaking a lot on the table and my legs are still shaky now. It was quite bad, I couldn't control it. They feel kind of numb and tingly . I'm a bit scared to be honest, I didn't expect to feel bad afterwards. I also feel nauseous. They sent me home so they can't be worried!

I am allergic to iodine so I didn't have the dye. It would be a good idea to touch base with your doctor about the reaction, just to be on the safe side.

kareng Grand Master

My mom has had a couple. She gets horrific uncontrollable D about 4 hours later.

I agree with Ravenwood. You should call your doc and maybe the xray department where you had it.

fozbery Rookie

My mom has had a couple. She gets horrific uncontrollable D about 4 hours later.

I agree with Ravenwood. You should call your doc and maybe the xray department where you had it.

I will never agree to drink that stuff again!! My stomach is going crazy, all night it has been growling loudly with painful spasms and watery diarrhea. Now its lots and lots of gas that is painful to pass. I hope this ends soon. I am worried about the bleeding but I am sure it is just from a cut or something form all the irritation. I have felt bad now for 17 hrs!! But I think it may be calming down gradually.

A word of advice if you have a sensitive stomach, don't drink that awful contrast solution!! I am so annoyed that they didn't warn me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

I will never agree to drink that stuff again!! My stomach is going crazy, all night it has been growling loudly with painful spasms and watery diarrhea. Now its lots and lots of gas that is painful to pass. I hope this ends soon. I am worried about the bleeding but I am sure it is just from a cut or something form all the irritation. I have felt bad now for 17 hrs!! But I think it may be calming down gradually.

A word of advice if you have a sensitive stomach, don't drink that awful contrast solution!! I am so annoyed that they didn't warn me!

WOW I am sorry you are reacting so severely,,, was it gluten free?

fozbery Rookie

WOW I am sorry you are reacting so severely,,, was it gluten free?

I don't know I didn't ask since I am eating Gluten at the moment. Honestly I would rather drink two litres of Moviprep which I had for my colonoscopy than drink that stuff again. Maybe I am just sensitive.

Got an appointment with an allergist on Tuesday, not giving up (yet).

cahill Collaborator

I don't know I didn't ask since I am eating Gluten at the moment. Honestly I would rather drink two litres of Moviprep which I had for my colonoscopy than drink that stuff again. Maybe I am just sensitive.

Got an appointment with an allergist on Tuesday, not giving up (yet).

good to know that the stuff you drink for the colonoscopy prep in not that bad,,, that is my next step. I saw an allergist a couples weeks ago and that did not turn out so well <_<

hang in the fozbery (( HUGS))

fozbery Rookie

good to know that the stuff you drink for the colonoscopy prep in not that bad,,, that is my next step. I saw an allergist a couples weeks ago and that did not turn out so well <_<

hang in the fozbery (( HUGS))

Dont get me wrong, moviprep is not nice, but its easier to get rid of, it just flows out like water!

What happened with the allergist?

fozbery Rookie

Dont get me wrong, moviprep is not nice, but its easier to get rid of, it just flows out like water!

Hi guys

Just to give you an update, after 24 hrs of extreme stomach pain and diarrhea I am now starting to feel better. I would advise anyone with a sensitive stomach to ask for advice about barium contrast solution before agreeing to drink it. I was going to the toilet so much that I began to bleed, I also had a bad taste in my mouth and very sore throat. My doctor thinks it was an allergic type reaction. He said normally people dont have such bad diarrhea, I find that really hard to believe!

Anyway, he now thinks that maybe I am histamine intolerant and is trying me on some tablets. He also gave me the blood test for celiac so I can now start to cut out gluten again to see if there is a difference.

I am going to try and keep you updated even if it turns out that Gluten is not my problem. Hopefully this will help others who have similar problems.

This forum is truly supportive, thanks.

sa1937 Community Regular

He said normally people dont have such bad diarrhea, I find that really hard to believe!

HA! The barium contrast I had was gluten-free and I lived in the bathroom the rest of the afternoon. :ph34r:

So glad you are feeling better now!!!

cahill Collaborator

The whole experience was NOT good <_< ,not because he was an allergist but because he was a lousy doctor and his office was very poorly run.

I will give you JUST the highlights ( or lowlights :P

He had his nurse call me and tell me that my allergy tests were ALL negative .

I asked them to mail me a copy of the test results and the docs notes they said NO that they would not do that :angry: .... We DISCUSSED IT for a bit :P and they saw reason :lol: ( it may have been my rather STRONG comment about the test results being MINE) .. They mail the test results to me and I open them and they are SOMEONE ELSE'S test results !!!!!

I call them AGAIN,had some very FIRM words with the office manager ( that included a comment about a HIPAA vitiation) MY results are finely sent to me.

When I FINELY received a copy, 4 of the test came back positive, 2 (eggs and almonds )were HIGH positive . When I called back and asked the nurse why I was told they were all negative she said that she was just telling me what the doc told her to say :blink:

cahill Collaborator

ALWAYS,ALWAYS ALWAYS get copies of your test results

mushroom Proficient

When I called back and asked the nurse why I was told they were all negative she said that she was just telling me what the doc told her to say :blink:

GOOD GRIEF, Charlie Brown!! Who is teaching these doctors that their patients are the enemy, not their livelihood??? :unsure::wacko:

Archived