glut'nfree

Contaminated Rice?

Rate this topic

My husband (non-diagnosed) has been nauseous for weeks now. I've been trying to remove everything I can from our home that might cause some cross-contamination. Recently, as I was looking through our rice, I came across a single grain that looked different than the rice. I decided to try and see if they have any other grains in their plant. I've called the same company about their cornmeal and have been avoiding using it because it's been WEEKS since they got back to me. I'm calling them again on Monday. But looking at this website has me quite suspicious as it seems they also sell other grains. There's no mention of whether or not they are on the same lines, etc:

http://www.shahtrading.com/items_variety.php?lan=en&CategoryID=1&Category=Rice-and-Grains

The Rice we've been using is from the brand NUPAK.

His nausea started around the same time we started eating more rice again after pulling our kids off the Specific Carbohydrate Diet a bit.

Any thoughts??

It could be cross contamination, but some people also have intolerances to rice.

I eat SunRice - its an Australian brand (sold in Canada) that says gluten free right on the package.

I've too often wondered if rice should be certified gluten free. I'm interested in hearing if others react to rice that isn't certified but have no issues with rice that is certified gluten free.

I still have gut issues but it seems to make no difference if I eat regular rice, certified gluten free rice or no rice. I've done all three for quite a length of time each.

I'd like to be able to buy whatever rice is on sale at the time I shop.

Gluten might be the very thing that's in your rice causing the contamination. Here's an article by a Clinical Nutritionist that talks about that very problem of how gluten can make it's way into rice:

http://blog.glutenfreeclub.com/gluten-may-be-hiding-in-your-rice

Hope you find the article helpful!

Angie.

Gluten might be the very thing that's in your rice causing the contamination. Here's an article by a Clinical Nutritionist that talks about that very problem of how gluten can make it's way into rice:

http://blog.glutenfreeclub.com/gluten-may-be-hiding-in-your-rice

Hope you find the article helpful!

Angie.

Does anyone know if regular brown rice that is not enriched is gluten free? The above link only talks about enriched rice.

Does anyone know if regular brown rice that is not enriched is gluten free? The above link only talks about enriched rice.

I heard that Uncle BEns rice is safe. That is the one that I buy.

No particular knowledge on the subject, but I eat brown rice regularly now, although I've had no problem w/ white rice, either. However, it does stand to reason that the less your rice is processed, the less opportunity there is for cross contamination.

The enriched rice might be coated with tocopherols (vitamin E containing), which are sometimes derived from wheat germ oil. According to Wiki they are usually derived from soy bean oil though. Probably because soy bean oil is cheaper.

I eat Uncle Ben's boil in the bag brown rice. I don't appear to have issues with it, but I do have ongoing gut problems. The good news is that I have felt good while eating plenty of that rice. They do say "gluten free" on the box...not certified though.

We use Kroger brand Jasmine rice and haven't seemed to have any problems with it.