donna4matt

gluten-free Flour

Rate this topic

I want to make my son gluten-free Banana Bread - can I subsitute gluten-free flour for the regular flour in my recipe? And if so what it is best gluten-free flour to use?

Hello, Donna. Don't know how far in to gluten free baking you are, whether you are still using bought mixes or using your own, but when I make banana bread I use either of these two flour mixes; the sorghum seems to make the difference:

2. CAKE FLOUR MIX

1 part brown rice

1 part sorghum

1 part tapioca

3. ALL PURPOSE

1-1/2 cups brown rice or sorghum

1 cup white rice

1/2 cup tapioca

And if you don't want to use your own flour mix, Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix makes awesome banana bread.

I make chocolate chip banana bread and didn't have a problem using Bob's Red Mill gluten-free mix. With the chocolate and the bananas, you couldn't even taste it (thank God!), and my recipe usually comes out a little wet and sticky anyway, so a hint of dryness from the flour actually did it some good. Who would've thought?

If using rice mixtures, you may have to add xanthan gum to replace the binding ability of gluten, or it will be crumbly. Typically 1/2 to 1 teasp. per cup of gluten free flour mixture.

Some gluten free mixtures are more naturally sticky. I have made banana bread out of a mixture of 1/2 almond meal and 1/2 amaranth/sorghum blend and not had to use the xanthan gum.

My favorite banana bread recipe is using Gluten Free Pantry Muffin and Scone Mix. I add 3 mashed bananas, use one cup of milk, and add cinnamon and nutmeg. Delicious and easy!

which is the best to use for breading fried chicken or pork chops?

i haven't tried any of them yet. but am interested to hear. there are so many choices and the prices

put me off somewhat to just test one.

I use crushed corn or rice chex or crushed mission corn chips for breading.

I think the best banana bread is made from the Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. Recipe on website.

Banana Bread - I use the Pamela's Baking & Pancake mix. It comes out extremely moist and keeps for a long time. I noticed the baking time on her recipe is a little long. So watch it the 1st time and see how long you should bake it in your oven.

I also have used it to make her chocolate chip cookes and the brownies. My wife claims she likes these two dessert options over the boxed brownies and refridgereated dough we use to buy before we went gluten free.

For chicken breading - I use the pamela's baking mix and add in seasoned salt, etc. then I smash up rice chex.

Mix some egg and milk together and dip chicken in it. then roll it in the pamela's baking mix. then dip the chicken a 2nd time in the milk/egg mix and then roll it in the chex mix. Lastly (don't redip in milk/egg mix a 3rd time) roll the chicken in the pamela's mix. The chicken comes out really crunchy with this technique.

I will fry 3 or 4 pounds of cut up chicken breasts at once using this technique and then freeze. Popping them in a toaster oven for 20-30 minutes is a great and quick snack or dinner idea. My wife absolutely LOVES these. She couldn't believe how good they were. I use to just dip the chicken once in the pamela's mix and found that it wasn't enough breading and not nearly as crispy as I would like. My new technique is enough breading and provides the crispyness you may desire in chicken!