This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

My Daughter Made Me A Gluten Free Cake

catsmeow

catsmeow Contributor

My 13 year old daughter made me this 3 layer lemon cake with vanilla lemon zest frosting. It is as delicious as it it beautiful! She made it from scratch and she is only 13 years old!!! She used the artisan flour mix that we put together and keep on hand (from the artisan gluten free cookbook), she loosly followed the yellow cake recipe, but winged it and turned it into lemon cake. I'm so proud of her. Our local Gluten free bakery wants $80 for a cake. She asked if she could make it instead. I'll bet it was better than the bakeries cakes!!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/deliciouscake.webp

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/cutcake1.webp

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Wow!!! Now that's CAKE!!! What a talented (and sweetheart) daughter you have. :wub:

mommida Enthusiast

WOW that looks like it would have cost over $80!

What a nice birthday surprise!

catsmeow Contributor

Thank you, it was delicious! And my DD is so sweet and very talented. I was looking at the pictures again and thought that this cake really does look professional, and to fancy for $80 at a gluten-free bakery. I think your right, it would cost more. I don't know where this kid gets it. She was already talented with baking wheat stuff, then after I was diagnosed with a wheat allergy, she simply transitioned to gluten-free without blinking an eye. One of our gluten-free friends told her that she could make any wheat recipe by switching the flour for gluten-free flour and adding a Tsp of Xanthan gum. She took that advice and ran away with it.

Most of all, I feel so loved and supported. A cake is one thing, but the fact that she worked so hard to make sure sure I had a delicious birthday cake that I could eat, just makes me want to cry.....I feel so important and special.

If she were smart, it would be time to hit me up for stuff she wants at the store.....LOL.....cuz Mama is a puddle of goo right now! She could ask me for anything, yet she hasn't!

kareng Grand Master

My birthday isn't until October. Maybe she could send me one for May Day! ;)

catsmeow Contributor

My birthday isn't until October. Maybe she could send me one for May Day! ;)

Ya know what? My kid would do that! She really is that sweet!

Here she zesting lemons for the cake.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/zestingalemon.webp

My other daughter dressed up the kitty for the birthday party.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/birthdaykitty.webp

kareng Grand Master

Ya know what? My kid would do that! She really is that sweet!

Here she zesting lemons for the cake.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/zestingalemon.webp

My other daughter dressed up the kitty for the birthday party.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h299/starbucks_5/birthdaykitty.webp

Pretty girl & patient cat! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

catsmeow Contributor

Pretty girl & patient cat! :D

Surprisingly, the cat likes this sort of attention.......LOL Later, he ate the hat and cake....at least chewed and clawed it up good..ha ha, I didn't find any pieces of it in the litter box....

Thank you for saying my daughter is pretty!!

freeatlast Collaborator

Beautiful inside and out!!!!!!

catsmeow Contributor

Beautiful inside and out!!!!!!

She looks Amish or Little house on the prairie" in this vintage apron that I bought at the thrift store!!!

Takala Enthusiast

Wow. Look at all that counter space!

I love my house, but the kitchen was built in the Golden Era of TV Dinners. By the time you set the countertop appliances out, there isn't much room for actual cooking. Most apartments we've lived in have had bigger kitchens. Alas the tiled counters are so nice and it's otherwise laid out so efficiently, it's not getting torn up. But... I plot to maybe put one of those freestanding little tabletops up somehow, even 4 sq feet more would be great, like where your daughter is standing and zesting the lemons for that beautiful cake. There is a narrow breakfast bar, but the kitchen is so little I have the coffee maker, toaster, microwave, blender, etc all lined up on it, to leave a little counter space to cook on.

In the last house we had before this, the previous people did the nuttiest job of remodeling, and put a new kitchen on a very old farm house. It had counter space. Except that the refrigerator ended up back in the pantry in the next room, because they put a giant "breakfast bar" in the middle of the traffic pattern. To say this was an ugly breakfast bar would be an understatement. It was shaped like a giant tongue. So now there is a big "country" kitchen with no dishwasher, no refrigerator, a lousy sink, and if you sat down at the breakfast bar after making upteen kabillion trips around it for the food in the pantry, refrigerator, to get to the oven, or to the sink, you were facing a blank wall while eating, looking towards said pantry. The newer windows leak like a colander, too.

I really don't get this. We figured they must have done it based on plans out of a magazine article, or something.

After a short time I got sick of navigating around the intrusive counter bar to get to anywhere else one would use something in a kitchen, and we tore out the the Giant Tongue breakfast bar, (gleefully !) and put the refrigerator back in the kitchen, and replaced the tiny oven which died, with a bigger stovetop and oven, placed where the breakfast bar was originally attached to the wall and jutting into the room. And then we had room for the kitchen table, with real chairs, with a more attractive view when one ate or did food prep. My husband chainsawed part of the breakfast bar in half, to make a bit smaller counter piece fill - in to go in next to the stove. (years later we replaced the leaky windows and redid the Rube Goldberg style plumbing to get a dishwasher in, put in a decent sink and faucet, and put the washing machine up in the pantry where the fridge used to be, but that's another long story. ;) )

freeatlast Collaborator

She looks Amish or Little house on the prairie" in this vintage apron that I bought at the thrift store!!!

Definitely Amish looking :)

ciavyn Contributor

That is so precious. And what a lovely job.

catsmeow Contributor

Yes, you would like having a rolling island. The one you see in the picture actually folds down on both sides making it pretty small if we want it out of way. It's a handy piece of furniture. I like how I can roll it to wherever I want to work, plus, theres storage underneath of it.

It sure sounds like you did a lot of work in that one kitchen!!!

catsmeow Contributor

That is so precious. And what a lovely job.

Thank you. She sure made me feel loved and cared for. She sure looks sweet with that apron on. She usually wears jeans and fitted T-shirts......such a difference!!!

catsmeow Contributor

Definitely Amish looking :)

LMBO!!! She sure does!!!! However, I'm not sure how many Amish girls wear ankle bracelets.....Ha ha ha

Archived