kyga2

Rash Looking Thing Around Daughter's Mouth

Rate this topic

My daughter, who is 2, used to have eczema but it went away after we quit feeding her dairy and gluten. In the last two months, she has developed a red, flaky place around one corner and under one side of her lip. It comes and goes. She has been glutened a few times here and there but symptoms vary so it can be hard to connect sometimes. My husband says this thing on her mouth is caused by her chewing on the side of her mouth. I have not witnessed this myself, so I wonder if it is eczema. However, it seems to get better if he puts chapstick on it, therefore he says it cannot be eczema. I just don't know one way or the other. Has anyone seen something like this in their kids?

http://www.faqs.org/nutrition/Smi-Z/Vitamins-Water-Soluble.html

It could be a B vitamin deficiency causing skin problems at the corner of the mouth.

Or it could be chapped lips. Just scroll down to the vitamin Riboflavin in this link and you will see the description.

If you supplement the B vitamins you want to take a B complex not just Riboflavin for example...since the B's all work together and need to be in ratio to one another.

If this were the case, it would clear up in a few days.

The B vitamins and C don't stay in your system very long and it is easy to get a deficiency of them.

Hope this helps. I'm sure you will get other ideas.

One of our children had a type of eczema that was around the mouth, usually at the corner. It would come and go, just like you describe. For us, figuring out trace gluten exposure better helped it heal and stay away. Chap stick type stuff helped, but it wouldn't go away without better diligence in her diet. Another child seems to get a lip reaction, and it includes licking his lips and turning them red and chapped. He has finally been able to articulate that he does this because his lips itch. We deal with both gluten allergy and celiac issues, and I always assume that these types of reactions are more "allergy" based.

To me it sounds like a vitamin B deficiency. My daughter had that and we had large doses of B to combat it. (If it's the same thing)

We developed the same rash (around mouth, more pronounced at corners, flakey and dry) near the end of my son's testing period (took several months to get all the tests done). He is prone to chapped lips, but this was very different and unlike chapped lips, did not go away with Aquaphor overnight.

Once on the gluten-free diet it cleared up in about two days. We saw it once more about a week and half later (I guessed he got glutened?) and that only lasted less than a day.

For us it was clearly related to his diet.

Cara