This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Cured Intolerances?

ilikepie

ilikepie Apprentice

I am curious if anyone has ever been "cured" of any allergies, sensitives, or intolerances. I'm not doubting that the food that makes us sick makes us sick...but maybe there was an underlying issue that was solved, and now you can eat rice again! Or maybe you used to be super sensitive to chemicals or personal products, and now you can use them again. (I'm not saying that if you have celiac disease you could be cured. I totally understand that the only treatment is a strict gluten free diet).

I'm curious because I recently had a doctor appointment and for the first time in my life, met a doctor who is intelligent, thinks there is something wrong with me, wants to help me figure out what it is, and doesn't think I am lying. We both think that maybe there is some underlying issue for me, and it doesn't matter what the foods are necessarily, because my body is going to react the way it is going to react, as I keep reacting to more and more new foods all the time. (I never had a positive test for celiac disease, but my body can't handle gluten (and most other food and ALL chemicals).

My doctor has been out of town for the last week, so we haven't been able to communicate or move forward yet after my initial visit. But I am just SO EXCITED at the idea that I could once again tolerate things! Even if it weren't EVERYTHING...maybe even just sugars, rice, corn, alcohol....any improvement would make me SO happy. So...sorry to ramble on. I'm just so curious about other peoples experiences and excited for the future.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AgainstTheGrainIdaho Rookie

I totally get what you are saying because I too believe that there is almost always an underlying cause to most everything. Now I can't say that there is a definite "fix" but my Mom had M.S. and had pages and pages of allergies. Now before I really understood what MS was and how to prevent or to "fix" it, I learned that one way to help your body to not "freak" out and over react to everything was taking and herbal supplement with 50/50 of Marshmallow root and Astragalus. She took it for about 1 year 5 caps 3x's a day and by the end she took another allergy test and she only had alfalfa left that she had an allergy too. So I know that combo of herbs works great in helping to clam and yet amazingly enough strengthen the immune system. I also met up with a Naturopath Doctor that I heard had cured a TON of MS patients.(after my Mom died) In fact people come from all over Canada and the states to see him and he was telling me that what people don't understand and know is MS is actually a virus that attacks the body and he treats it as such and therefore had helped so many to get rid of the MS. On another note I had quite a bit of allergies myself and found that NAET treatments have worked well for me so far. I do also know that if they are really strong allergies that the treatments have to be done more than once and that has helped me also. So I guess what I am getting at is ....yes.....there usually is some underlying problem that is leading to all the other issues and allergies that people have and it makes me wonder what the underlying is on Celiacs Disease also. Why is the body trying to reject the gluten so bad. I don't know, maybe it is what it is and there's no way to help it. I wonder if the majority of Celiacs are O type blood or A type or if it's an even mix? Curious to know too.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Before I was diagnosed with celiac I was allergy tested by the skin prick testing. I was reactive to 98 of 99 things they tested me for. My allergist later said that was a big indicator to him that I was celiac and he put me on a strict elimination diet. When I reacted severely to adding gluten back in he referred me to a GI who confirmed that I had celiac. The allergist told me not to be surprised if my other allergies cleared up after I had been gluten free for some time. I just kind of laughed but sure enough most, though not all, of my other allergies and intolerances went away after I was gluten free for a few months. The allergist explained that my immune system was in 'hyperdrive' from the celiac and thus I was reacting to everything.

jerseyangel Proficient

I was intolerant to dairy--stayed off of it completely for 6 years and can now eat it freely. I don't know if 6 years is necessary--that's just when I decided to give it a try. :)

AgainstTheGrainIdaho Rookie

Before I was diagnosed with celiac I was allergy tested by the skin prick testing. I was reactive to 98 of 99 things they tested me for. My allergist later said that was a big indicator to him that I was celiac and he put me on a strict elimination diet. When I reacted severely to adding gluten back in he referred me to a GI who confirmed that I had celiac. The allergist told me not to be surprised if my other allergies cleared up after I had been gluten free for some time. I just kind of laughed but sure enough most, though not all, of my other allergies and intolerances went away after I was gluten free for a few months. The allergist explained that my immune system was in 'hyperdrive' from the celiac and thus I was reacting to everything.

That makes sense for sure! See the Marshmallow Root/ Astragulas was a huge help but I am almost positive that my Mom had a Celiac or just a wheat allergy issue (like I do) and even though her allergies were clear, she was still eating gluten, therefore her symptoms of MS were still a huge issue. Which eventually caused her intestines to continue to tear open and an infection that lead to her death. It's like a light bulb went on after finding out about the wheat issue that I have as to why my family has SO many auto immune issues!! Crazy!

Archived