This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Test Strips For Food

Skylark

Skylark Collaborator

Has anyone tried the gluten test strips, like EZ Gluten?

Open Original Shared Link

Did they come up positive on something that made you sick?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jeff In San Diego Rookie

Has anyone tried the gluten test strips, like EZ Gluten?

Open Original Shared Link

Did they come up positive on something that made you sick?

Wow, they are $12 each!

Maybe just once in a while for something you really love and miss but which refuses to put "gluten free" on the label. Otherwise, it is easier to just eat something that is known to be safe.

Keep in mind that things which don't seem to have any gluten ingredients in them, but don't say gluten free are subject to cross-contamination. CC is something that could be fine in one batch of stuff from that company, and then show up in a different batch a week or two later. Can't just test once and trust it forever. You would need to test and buy in large batches (due to the exorbitant cost of these test strips).

I think it is not worth the bother.

Maybe for safety on an otherwise massively expensive vacation you might want to test pretty much everything, and just figure you'll drop a few hundred bucks on these as part of the cost of the trip.

weluvgators Explorer

Our family uses them, and we love them. So far, our experience is with the EZ Gluten test, but I hope to use Neogen tests in the future. I have posted here in the past about our experiences with them, and they helped us take some tremendous strides in improving our wellness. Several of our doctors are interested in our results, and I love sharing them. I have gotten positive for gluten results on whole, "gluten free" grains, and testing helped me wade through my missteps in assuming the safety of alternative milk products.

We focus our testing primarily on the staples of our diet - those foods that we eat on a regular basis. We have also used testing for investigation if we come up against a reaction that we do not understand.

So, yes, we have had tests come up positive for something that made us "sick". I didn't even realize that the low level issues were related to gluten. Then I got a positive test on one of our staple foods, used a bunch of tests to prove to myself that the test was really coming up positive, tested a banana to know what a "negative for gluten" test could really be achieved (I really did not want to believe these test results LOL), went on to eliminate the offending food to discover that the low level symptoms disappeared. Again, we made tremendous strides in our health utilizing gluten detection tests.

lizard00 Enthusiast

To be very honest, I used to doubt the validity of those tests. Recently, I have had reason to change my mind.

A friend of mine who writes a very popular local blog endorsed a baker he came in contact with at the state fair a couple of years ago. His bread tasted awesome, and he said it was made in his gluten-free facility. My friend broke out in DH (he has intestinal celiac disease AND DH!), tested the bread, and it came back a high positive. This man is now in jail for 10 years--perhaps you read about him. The fraudulent baker in NC. He was repackaging wheat breads he purchased from a baker in NJ, as well as locally at Costco.

If they are done correctly they are accurate. You have to shake for a certain amount of time, let it sit for a certain amount of time, etc. There's certain foods that they tell you NOT to test on, as it will be positive. I think one is ketchup. It's only used for food items- so don't go breaking up paper plates and testing them and expect to get an accurate reading. But, it basically works like a pregnancy test. Either there's gluten present or not. Those particular ones test down to 5ppm. There's a new one on the market that I believe you can do either 20 ppm or 5 ppm. wwww.glutentox.com, and it's supposed to detect oat as well. I have no experience with this one, though, so I can't speak for it. My friend has recently purchased this one in place of the EZGluten, so I'll have to see what his thoughts are.

They are pricey, but they can be a helpful tool.

YoloGx Rookie

They are pricey, but they can be a helpful tool.

K8ling Enthusiast

I have been wondering about these myself! I am glad I found a thread on them, because iI may buy some to take to Florida with me.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Wow--I had never heard or seen such tester items. I think they'd be worth it in certain instances. Far better than losing several days due to mystery glutenings. Where do you find them?

Bea

As far as I know, you have to order them online.

www.ezgluten.com

www.glutentox.com

They are about the same price at both places.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I want to test a generic medicine I don't quite trust, so $12 is well worth it! Thanks for the feedback about how they work. It really helps.

Archived