CNV2855

Ate A "gluten Free" Sandwhich...

Rate this topic

A new deli opened up in town and offered "gluten free" options including bread. I ate there and I ate several sandwiches, and I must say they were delicious.

I ate there twice. On a Sunday and on a Wednesday.

Around Monday, I had a rash re-appear on my chest/back and that traditionally has only gotten bad when I've been glutened. Wednesday, I had diarrhea. Saturday I had diarrhea again but this time with blood in the stool. Now it's been about a week and I feel bloated, stiff, I had a flare of my Sjogren's, and just plain bad.

I'm not positive that I was glutened since I do have some other autoimmune problems, but the rash really only appears after I've been glutened. I suspect it's dermatitis herpetiformis as it appears when glutened and disappears if I'm not. It's been tested twice and they said it was "bacteria" in the skin or something and that it wasn't DH. Hmm...

Anyway, does anyone else have a really long-term reaction where the immediate effects aren't that bad... but the gastroinestinal problems come 2-3 days after being glutened and then you have some major fatigue residual symptoms for a week or more?

Last time I was exposed to gluten (from a lone crouton in a salad), it took 3 days for my body to start to fall apart. it took 5 weeks for me to get back to normal. However, the problem was not fatigue, it was straight up D. (which, after a while, did lead to fatigue of course) The D is usually my problem but most likely related to a colitis flare up, and not necessarily celiac.

It does sound like you were glutened. Many times the reaction is delayed. The D for me starts about 3 days after I get glutened. Some places aren't aware that making safe gluten-free meals is about much more than just using gluten free foods. They may have CC issues.

My reactions are delayed about 3 days usually. I have to trace back what I ate to figure it out.

A new deli opened up in town and offered "gluten free" options including bread. I ate there and I ate several sandwiches, and I must say they were delicious.

I ate there twice. On a Sunday and on a Wednesday.

Around Monday, I had a rash re-appear on my chest/back and that traditionally has only gotten bad when I've been glutened. Wednesday, I had diarrhea. Saturday I had diarrhea again but this time with blood in the stool. Now it's been about a week and I feel bloated, stiff, I had a flare of my Sjogren's, and just plain bad.

I'm not positive that I was glutened since I do have some other autoimmune problems, but the rash really only appears after I've been glutened. I suspect it's dermatitis herpetiformis as it appears when glutened and disappears if I'm not. It's been tested twice and they said it was "bacteria" in the skin or something and that it wasn't DH. Hmm...

Anyway, does anyone else have a really long-term reaction where the immediate effects aren't that bad... but the gastroinestinal problems come 2-3 days after being glutened and then you have some major fatigue residual symptoms for a week or more?

Maybe the fillings (Valu Brand cream cheese contains wheat protein) or cross-contamination, maybe get 'GIG' to send them guidlines about avoiding cross-contamination while preparing food for Celiacs.

Using the same knife that buttered wheat bread to cut smoked salmon (naturally gluten free) caused me 6 hrs later to cramp badly, vomit for a full day and have the big 'D' for 4 days, obviously now I'm extra carefully what I eat.