Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

nik95670

Dealing With Celiac Diet

I am curious if others have problems from the ingredients that gluten-free foods use? I think the xanthan and guar gum cause me some pretty serious gastrointestinal issues if I eat much of them. Anybody else? Words of wisdom or ideas for snacks?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I have heard of that from other people.

Your best bet is to just eat whole foods (veggies, fruits, unmarinated meat, dairy (if you can digest it) and maybe grains like rice and quinoa) until you feel really good and then slowly test adding things in one at a time. It's tricky and frustrating but it pays off when you isolate foods that are bothering you.

Sara

Busy mom to 3 great kids (4, 8 and 18)

Gluten free since April 6, 2011 ~ Also sensitive to coconut, coffee and food dyes

Joint pain, mouth sores, back and neck pain, migraines, stomach pain, chronic fatigue, ADD and depression are all gone.
Wishing I had been diagnosed before celiac robbed me of the cartilage in my toes and the 3 babies we lost to miscarriages.

Thank you, that is great advice. This is a whole lifestyle change for me as I commute almost four hours round trip a day & am a terrible planner so I buy a lot of gas station snacks & what not. This will be a healthy change for me but tKe some getting uses to as I am mostly uses to eating packaged foods.

Yes. Arrowroot is especially awful. We seemed fine with quinoa (soaked first) but eliminated it when we went on GAPS.

I just read an article on here about how many alternate flours contain major crosscontamination. Scott posted it. The other thing is if you have a problem with corn, that could be affecting you. It's used to help powdery things flow, so it can be in places you wouldn't expect, like salt and baking powder.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.

Oh, and buckwheat knocked me and my son on our asses, which was a shame because we made great pancakes with them.

Our family is transitioning off the GAPS Intro Diet and into the Full GAPS Diet.

Gluten-Free since November 2010

GAPS Diet since January/February 2011

me - not tested for celiac - currently doing a gluten challenge since 11/26/2011

partner - not tested for celiac

ds - age 11, hospitalized 9/2010, celiac dx by gluten reaction & genetics. No biopsy or blood as we were already gluten-free by the time it was an option.

dd - age 12.5, not celiac, has Tourette's syndome

both kids have now-resolved attention issues.