laura4669

Hair Loss Worse After Starting Paleo Type Diet?

Rate this topic

I have been doing a mostly Paleo diet for about six weeks now - a lot of meat and good fats (coconut oil and ghee), veggies, nuts and a few fruits. My hair was falling out before, but now it is literally coming out in handfuls! I am shocked, as I thought a high protein diet would improve the situation. I am planning on starting the GAPS diet in another week, as I believe I have leaky gut, and also many food intolerances. I am wondering now if that will make things even worse?

Has anyone experienced increased hair loss from any of the hight protein/fats diets? I have read that a high fat diet can increase hormone levels, but I am assuming that good fats are okay.

Thanks.

Are you doing organic, free range meats? Maybe it's the hormones in what you're eating.

I have been doing a mostly Paleo diet for about six weeks now - a lot of meat and good fats (coconut oil and ghee), veggies, nuts and a few fruits. My hair was falling out before, but now it is literally coming out in handfuls! I am shocked, as I thought a high protein diet would improve the situation. I am planning on starting the GAPS diet in another week, as I believe I have leaky gut, and also many food intolerances. I am wondering now if that will make things even worse?

Has anyone experienced increased hair loss from any of the hight protein/fats diets? I have read that a high fat diet can increase hormone levels, but I am assuming that good fats are okay.

Thanks.

i dont know of any correlation... but have you had your thyroid checked??? are you already diagnosed with Celiac? or any autoimmune Thyroid condition? or LOW IRON or LOW FERRITIN?? or a vitamin D or B12 deficiency??? all of these things could cause hair loss.... and once a deficiency is pronounced or an autoimmune disease has started to progress-> diet may not be enough- you may need medication or major vitamin supplementation.

i hope you get your answers and it stops :)

i dont know of any correlation... but have you had your thyroid checked??? are you already diagnosed with Celiac? or any autoimmune Thyroid condition? or LOW IRON or LOW FERRITIN?? or a vitamin D or B12 deficiency??? all of these things could cause hair loss.... and once a deficiency is pronounced or an autoimmune disease has started to progress-> diet may not be enough- you may need medication or major vitamin supplementation.

i hope you get your answers and it stops :)

I am using mostly organic, free range meats and eggs. I am also on thyroid meds for low thyroid, however, I have tested negative for Hashimoto's. I do have low ferritin, but D and B12 are okay. Maybe I need to up my thyroid meds. The increase in hair loss coordinated so closely to when I started the Paleo Diet, that I just thought there might be some correlation.

(I need to complete my signature, so my diagnosis is visible!)

Thanks!

I am using mostly organic, free range meats and eggs. I am also on thyroid meds for low thyroid, however, I have tested negative for Hashimoto's. I do have low ferritin, but D and B12 are okay. Maybe I need to up my thyroid meds. The increase in hair loss coordinated so closely to when I started the Paleo Diet, that I just thought there might be some correlation.

Thanks!

I agree with Cass, you may want to have your doc check your thyroid levels.

Thanks!

that is totally strange that it's happening with the paleo... maybe its a coincidence.

your low ferritin can cause hair loss

good luck!!!

Ah HA! Here's something. I recall seeing queries about hair loss on paleo sites, but didn't look into it.

Now I have - it's called telogen effluvium:

"You are experiencing a common problem called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress.

So you can better understand what has happened, let

Forgot this bit - your diet sounds quite paleo, which means fairly low carb, and so you will probably occasionally be burning fat instead of relying on glycogen for energy. This is probably metabolically new, and would be quite enough to cause that telogen effluvium. But check the thyroid levels, though, as CassP and a1956chill say, just in case.

Ah HA! Here's something. I recall seeing queries about hair loss on paleo sites, but didn't look into it.

Now I have - it's called telogen effluvium:

"You are experiencing a common problem called telogen effluvium, which is the medical term for acute hair loss due to a metabolic, hormonal or drug stress.

So you can better understand what has happened, let

Along with the excellent explanations and advice I can add Biotin supplements. Biotin is mainly found in liver. It also helps in metabolism and hair growth.

Along with the excellent explanations and advice I can add Biotin supplements. Biotin is mainly found in liver. It also helps in metabolism and hair growth.

Thanks for the suggestion. Bought some today!

I take 5,000 MCG a day. (Spread out through the day.) From what I have read there seems to be no adverse affects from too much.