Calmom

Confused By Dr.s Advice

Rate this topic

Mods please move if in the wrong place.

I found out today that I have a vitamin D deficiency. However, I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was already on a supplement. I asked my dr. if I should increase my dose, but he said just to keep on doing what I am doing. I feel like I should be taking more, but then again if I am not absorbing it, wouldn't it be a waste to take it at all? I am really surprised he didn't tell my to increase the amount I am taking, especially being so low. Would absorption be the reason?

Mods please move if in the wrong place.

I found out today that I have a vitamin D deficiency. However, I spend a lot of time outdoors and I was already on a supplement. I asked my dr. if I should increase my dose, but he said just to keep on doing what I am doing. I feel like I should be taking more, but then again if I am not absorbing it, wouldn't it be a waste to take it at all? I am really surprised he didn't tell my to increase the amount I am taking, especially being so low. Would absorption be the reason?

How long have you been gluten-free? If it's not long, you will absorb better when your intestines heal.

How long have you been gluten-free? If it's not long, you will absorb better when your intestines heal.

It has only been a week for me.

It has only been a week for me.

You'll start absorbing your nutients better, soon. Is the doc planning to retest in 3-6 months? That is probably a good idea.

How big is your supplement? You can take more on your own. A fat-soluble vitamin like D is easy on the stomach and hard to overdose on (but keep getting checked!). I take 6000iu a day and am having a hard time bringing my levels up.

I was taking 2000 iu a day. I was honestly worried that my levels were going to be too high because of the amount of sun I get, so I was shocked when I found out it was so low.

My dr. hasn't mentioned retesting, but I'll call in few months. Having been to his office so often lately trying to figure out what was wrong with me, I secretly think he was sick of seeing me.

D is probably tied with B12 for the most common deficiency with celiac disease. I've been gluten-free for a little over two years now, and I'm still on 8,000 IU/day per Dr. order. Last blood workup my D levels were still in the normal range (I'm due for another workup soon).

Remember D is a fat-soluble only, so if you are not eating adequate amounts of healthy oils with with supplement you'll pass it right out of your body. Coconut oil is good, or get it from a good fish oil.

Also, you are taking a D3 supplement, right? Not just 'D' or 'D2'?

The supplement I am taking is D3. I take fish oil on occasion, but I often forget. I will start taking them more regularly.

Yes, do always take it with food and fat of some sort. I also had both full-on deficiency and then low levels despite supplementation around 1000 IU/day. My bloodwork came back solidly normal after 6 months on 4,000 IU and being gluten-free for almost all of that.